[1.4][1.7.7] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches

AndyMt

5 minutes ago, TonedMite133805 said:

I've been letting GravityTurn Optimize, so...

Even if you're letting it optimize, it's usually an issue with the rocket itself if it's not making orbit due to flipping/loss of control). If it's burning up then you can try adjusting the parameters (the hold AP time I think adjusts steepness. Too steep is less efficient but less chance of death). 

Click the question marks to see what each parameter does, and then launch a couple more times to optimize once it reaches orbit. 

Watch the control inputs while it's ascending. If it reaches a limit of control and the rocket still crashes, there's not much Gravity Turn can do. 

You can try hand steering first to see if it's even possible, since Gravity Turn can be slightly slow to react to changing flight characteristics and can lose control when you could've made it. 

If it's breaking up, try turning off the time warp option. 

1 minute ago, TonedMite133805 said:

No, It's simply taking forever to ascend-- It sometimes goes almost horizontal before it even gets out of the atmosphere. Maybe I'm having it start too early?

And then it runs out of fuel.

Ah, yes, mine did that last night for some reason. Eventually reached orbit but it took 20 minutes from liftoff to finish circularizing. Spent a very long time at about 60km.

Yes, in this case it's not optimizing correctly. You could try alt-improve guess, that'll reset everything to default and let it try again. 

Also try adjusting some stuff yourself if that doesn't work. Read the help question marks in game. I think the one that's important is the second time that it decays too, if that's too long it might take forever. 

I'm far from an expert though. 

58 minutes ago, TonedMite133805 said:

No, It's simply taking forever to ascend-- It sometimes goes almost horizontal before it even gets out of the atmosphere. Maybe I'm having it start too early?

And then it runs out of fuel.

Wait for more vertical speed before initiating the turn, your TWR is probably too low for an aggressive gravity turn, vertical speed gets too low and you end up with massive drag loss.

Edited by flack

• 2 weeks later...

I know the mod hasn't been updated for 1.8.1 but I was kinda hopeful based on what some folks were saying in earlier postings.  In my 1.8.1 load, you can turn on the GUI, the launch button would show briefly and then quickly disappear.  Very strange.  If you are quick and click on the launch button before it goes away the launch goes as programmed.  Though that being said you don't really have time to take it off of the default settings.  I'll have to try on a clean install to see if there might be some strange interactions with the mods that I am running.

Well I did some more testing on a clean 1.8.1 install and the mod seems to work.  Now the fun part of trying to figure out which mod, of some 120 or so, is causing a conflict.

Edited by Galland1998
updated info

2 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

I know the mod hasn't been updated for 1.8.1 but I was kinda hopeful based on what some folks were saying in earlier postings.  In my 1.8.1 load, you can turn on the GUI, the launch button would show briefly and then quickly disappear.  Very strange.  If you are quick and click on the launch button before it goes away the launch goes as programmed.  Though that being said you don't really have time to take it off of the default settings.  I'll have to try on a clean install to see if there might be some strange interactions with the mods that I am running.

Well I did some more testing on a clean 1.8.1 install and the mod seems to work.  Now the fun part of trying to figure out which mod, of some 120 or so, is causing a conflict.

I had this issue and had to uninstall world stabilizer or whatever it was called 

• 3 weeks later...

GT works for me in 1,8,1 without World Stabilizer

GT fails to work with World Stabilizer

After careful reading of World Stabilizer I have two things to try out when I get time to play again

1) World Stabilizer does not touch craft with Launch Clamps

2) World Stabilizer runs on newly commissioned (pre-launch) craft by default, but can be configured to NOT do so.

My theory is that if you use launch clamps OR disable World Stabilizer from touching pre-launch craft - then hopefully it will
get along with GT without issue.  Will report back when I get a chance to try things out...

Reporting Back: Gravity Turn works fine in 1.8.1 + It even works with World Stabilizer if you include Launch Clamps on your craft.
World Stabilizer breaks Gravity Turn when it "picks up and nudges" a newly launched craft...  So either include launch clamps
or set the World Stabilizer config to skip newly launched craft.

Edited by Covert
Ending the story...

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Persistent Rotation installed, GravityTurn will fail to steer the rocket. It turns out this is because Persistent Rotation is activated by default on launch, so I believe it's trying to steer and overriding GT.

Also, I would very very very much love to see the ability to limit ignitions. I'm running Kerbalism, which limits ignitions on most engines. So, during coast to AP, when GT cycles the engine on/off in little bursts to keep the AP at the target, that really burns though the available ignitions.

AndyMt, this mod is awesome.  Thank you for maintaining it!  Never knew about it during my last multi-year KSP addiction.  Just got back into playing, and a friend at work pointed me to this mod.

Small (and hopefully quick) QoL request: can an option be added to pause the game after GravityTurn relinquishes control back to the player?

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by GreyKestrel

• 1 month later...

Nice mod. Thanks for maintaining it. I recently started using it, not so much to get the most efficient launch possible, but just to avoid the monotony of doing similar launches by hand time after time. I use McJeb for some other repetitive things that, yes, I could do by hand, but get tired of after the first few dozen times. In fact, I tend to still use McJeb launching from Mun and Minmus just because I'm used to doing so. But I find it tricky to tune McJeb's launch so that my boosters don't overheat launching from Kerbin; can be done, but it's finicky, whereas I find Gravity turn relatively easy.

Anyway, my reason for posting, aside from just the thanks, is to suggest that whenever you get around to doing UI work, you might keep in mind being able to scale the UI up for us folk that have marginal vision and/or high resolution monitors. I can read it as it is now, but it takes a bit of squinting. Ideally, it would obey KSP's UI scale option (I normally run at 170%), but ant way to scale it up would be nice. I'm sure this isn't at the top of your priority list; just something to consider.

And if it gets recompiled for 1.9 then it will show up as available to use for people who show only COMPATIBLE on CKAN. Mods that still work but are not marked as compatible in ckan have fewer people using them because they assume mod doesn't work.

Recompiling it and updating version doesn't just remove a warning, it actually means more people will likely install your mod. 

1 hour ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

If you use KSP AVC mod you can just mark it as compatible and any warnings will go away.  Also has the benefit of letting you know when mods update.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, Atlas Gaming said:

And if it gets recompiled for 1.9 then it will show up as available to use for people who show only COMPATIBLE on CKAN. Mods that still work but are not marked as compatible in ckan have fewer people using them because they assume mod doesn't work.

Recompiling it and updating version doesn't just remove a warning, it actually means more people will likely install your mod. 

Yeah, but I'm not the maintainer of the mod and I was only trying to help you solve your problem with the warning.

[snip]  Maybe the maintainer doesn't really care about CKAN, they wouldn't be the first.

Besides, if the mod works as is and the CKAN metadata says it doesn't, that's more on the people responsible for CKAN metadata.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

9 hours ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

Maybe the maintainer doesn't really care about CKAN, they wouldn't be the first.

Besides, if the mod works as is and the CKAN metadata says it doesn't, that's more on the people responsible for CKAN metadata.

We don't like to update (hardcoded) compatibility data without having confirmation from the author first.
@AndyMt can you confirm that the latest release (1.7.7) works on KSP 1.8.1 (or even 1.9)? I took a quick look through the last couple of pages of this thread, but I couldn't find something official, I'm sorry if I missed something.

If so, we are happy to update the metadata!

I have been using it daily since 1.9 came out and don't see any anomalies or error messages in log. But I'll leave to author of course to confirm. I just want to have more people use it when they see its 1.9 compatible in ckan (and of course not have a warning :)

On 2/15/2020 at 6:10 AM, DeliriumTrigger said:

Yeah, but I'm not the maintainer of the mod

Ya I'm not the author either, obviously, but as someone who has written mods for several other games, I'm always interested in hearing about problems users of my mods are experiencing and know the need to update to the latest SDK when unreal or unity are updated. [snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

So I just looked at the source code on github and the last update was 2 years ago, so looks like no longer being updated. Probably just a matter of time till adopted by Linuxgurugamer. Meanwhile I'll just update and recompile my own version. Generally don't like to do that as it splits from official code, but in case of abandoned mods, may be the only option. So DeliriumTrigger will be happy to know I no longer need this updated by the author... request withdrawn!

Cheers.

11 hours ago, DasSkelett said:

We don't like to update (hardcoded) compatibility data without having confirmation from the author first.
@AndyMt can you confirm that the latest release (1.7.7) works on KSP 1.8.1 (or even 1.9)? I took a quick look through the last couple of pages of this thread, but I couldn't find something official, I'm sorry if I missed something.

If so, we are happy to update the metadata!

I don't have the time to maintain the mod right now, actually for a while. I would even first have to set up the development environment again.

I can confirm that the mod works perfectly in 1.9. So please update the Ckan meta data.

If someone likes to take over, please go ahead.

Some content has been redacted and/or removed.  Folks, let's keep it civil, please-- the topic of this thread is this mod, not arguing about arguing.  Also, please don't presume to tell fellow forum members what to do or not to do-- it's not your place, that's called "backseat moderating" and isn't allowed.  If you think someone's actually breaking forum rules, then by all means file a report so the moderator team can have a look; it's what we're for.

Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.