Jump to content

[1.4][1.7.7] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches


AndyMt
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

Gamers I need help, so every time I use GravityTurn. And it's done getting my rocket into space, I can't time warp, which then causes me to not be able to do anything but staging (I think). can't use Lights, Gear, Brakes, RCS, SAS, etc. I did find a workaround (go to the Space Centre or tracking station and just go back to the rocket.

 

And yes I did try the Clear Input Locks thing

didn't work lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DStaal said:

Works fine for me, and is showing in the (stock) toolbar.

I reinstalled the mod and now it shows up.  I suspect that Norton ate the .dll without telling me.   Norton Anti-virus has a tendency to delete .dlls without warning if they're not "trusted" by a large portion of Norton users, so it eats mod plugins all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what am i supposed to do when i get a garbage guess that cant even get my rocket out of the atmo? Since i never left the atmo to the desired orbit height, i cant improve the guess further. The baseline works, but takes almost 4k dV, way too much. The "improved guess" cant get me over 20km after that..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, StickyScissors said:

So what am i supposed to do when i get a garbage guess that cant even get my rocket out of the atmo? Since i never left the atmo to the desired orbit height, i cant improve the guess further. The baseline works, but takes almost 4k dV, way too much. The "improved guess" cant get me over 20km after that..

Input your own guess.  Or let it crash and learn the guess is garbage.

Oh, or get a better design.  If the baseline is taking 4k and the first guess isn't getting beyond 20km, it may be worth adjusting the launcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

So what am i supposed to do when i get a garbage guess that cant even get my rocket out of the atmo? Since i never left the atmo to the desired orbit height, i cant improve the guess further. The baseline works, but takes almost 4k dV, way too much. The "improved guess" cant get me over 20km after that..

do you have large drag?
i learned that adding fearing can save ~300dV in a high drag rover lunch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, StickyScissors said:

So what am i supposed to do when i get a garbage guess that cant even get my rocket out of the atmo? Since i never left the atmo to the desired orbit height, i cant improve the guess further. The baseline works, but takes almost 4k dV, way too much. The "improved guess" cant get me over 20km after that..

can you post pix of your rocket? have you successfully launched it manually?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tweak my launch profile with GT so that I can get my craft to burn all the way to the top of the atmosphere at least, although ideally I'd want them to make a continuous burn all the way to circularization. The reason for this is because I use Real Fuels in the stock Kerbol system which means most of my 1st / 2nd stage engines don't have multiple relights and the perennial stock behavior of hitting the target apoapse before leaving the atmosphere and then "bumping" the engines to keep it there just doesn't work for me. I've had some luck in past careers using GT to get me near the top of the atmosphere before hitting the target apoapse, allowing me to just abort the launch and coast to the circularization burn while accepting a small loss in the apoapse height, but that was mostly the result of complete trial and error in messing with the various values rather than any sort of informed decisions on my part.

Anyway, what I'm hoping for is some guidance on how to get the sort of behavior I'd like to see out of my launches, whether its instruction / tips on how to guarantee I'll have my engines burning at least until I'm out of the atmosphere (or at least how to get close), or the full on continuous burn to orbit (if its even possible).

Thanks

Edited by SpacedInvader
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2019 at 1:37 AM, SpacedInvader said:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tweak my launch profile with GT so that I can get my craft to burn all the way to the top of the atmosphere at least, although ideally I'd want them to make a continuous burn all the way to circularization. The reason for this is because I use Real Fuels in the stock Kerbol system which means most of my 1st / 2nd stage engines don't have multiple relights and the perennial stock behavior of hitting the target apoapse before leaving the atmosphere and then "bumping" the engines to keep it there just doesn't work for me. I've had some luck in past careers using GT to get me near the top of the atmosphere before hitting the target apoapse, allowing me to just abort the launch and coast to the circularization burn while accepting a small loss in the apoapse height, but that was mostly the result of complete trial and error in messing with the various values rather than any sort of informed decisions on my part.

Anyway, what I'm hoping for is some guidance on how to get the sort of behavior I'd like to see out of my launches, whether its instruction / tips on how to guarantee I'll have my engines burning at least until I'm out of the atmosphere (or at least how to get close), or the full on continuous burn to orbit (if its even possible).

Thanks

play whit the number to keep  to AP

start whit a large one and end whit a small one

but most importantly is make the rocket correctly

starting G 2-4 and costing G 0.8-1.5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Is anyone using this with FAR? GravityTurn does a reasonable job with the launches, but there are two issues.

  • The fairings separate almost immediately after launch, no matter what value I put in the Fairing Pressure config (I've tried -1000, 1, 10000, 100000)
  • The stats show ridiculous amounts of air drag. On a normal launch that uses around 3400 delta v to low Kerbin orbit, it's showing about 7300 delta v in air drag loss.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2019 at 4:06 AM, salajander said:

Is anyone using this with FAR? GravityTurn does a reasonable job with the launches, but there are two issues.

  • The fairings separate almost immediately after launch, no matter what value I put in the Fairing Pressure config (I've tried -1000, 1, 10000, 100000)
  • The stats show ridiculous amounts of air drag. On a normal launch that uses around 3400 delta v to low Kerbin orbit, it's showing about 7300 delta v in air drag loss.

FAR support is not implemented and I don't know if I will add it some time.

This results in the 2 issues you've mentioned above. You have to switch off fairing separation and do that manually. The stats are useless, which also means that the "improve guess" function probably won't find the ideal launch parameters.

Sorry for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Speaking of fairings.. 

Does it work with Procedural Fairings?

(Gravity Turn is on my must have list!)

Last I tried with Procedural Fairings, they didn't hamper Gravity Turn in any way, but they weren't handled as fairings - they were just another stage.  Putting them in the right order you could easily manually stage them during the ascent however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Last I tried with Procedural Fairings, they didn't hamper Gravity Turn in any way, but they weren't handled as fairings - they were just another stage.  Putting them in the right order you could easily manually stage them during the ascent however.

Should of been clear, this is exactly what I do now.

Just wondering if there is a way to hey them to auto stage like stock fairings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

Should of been clear, this is exactly what I do now.

Just wondering if there is a way to hey them to auto stage like stock fairings.

I think the main problem is that they aren't really presented to the game as fairings - you'll notice they have a separator icon in staging, not a fairing icon.  Likely if they could be presented to the game as fairings they could be supported.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, DStaal said:

I think the main problem is that they aren't really presented to the game as fairings - you'll notice they have a separator icon in staging, not a fairing icon.  Likely if they could be presented to the game as fairings they could be supported.

This is exactly the reason. GT looks for a specific partmodule and procedural fairings have a different/own one for that purpose. Of course this could be added, but well - right now spare time availability is against it :(.

I personally use action groups to deploy fairings. While I like to use GT for the general launch profile, I still like to fiddle with some manual stuff during a launch.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 11:44 AM, AndyMt said:

FAR support is not implemented and I don't know if I will add it some time.

This results in the 2 issues you've mentioned above. You have to switch off fairing separation and do that manually. The stats are useless, which also means that the "improve guess" function probably won't find the ideal launch parameters.

Sorry for that.

Hi!

Some time ago I made a pull request on github, to enable the use of FAR drag values if it is installed. It seems to be working well on my machine, could you have a look at it? I didn't think about fixing the fairings' behaviour, however, as I also deploy them manually with action groups...

Cheers

P.s.: sorry about the mess I made closing and reopening the pull request, it was my first time using github :confused:

Edit: I got curious, and it seems like using the correct dynamic pressure values from FAR to stage the fairings was an easy addition. I didn't push the commit yet, however, because I can't test it at the moment...

Edited by ildifa
Avoiding double post
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...