Deep space propulsion using spring force and kinetic energy

vikram_gupta11

On 9/27/2016 at 10:02 PM, Neil1993 said:

It won't move. Let's just gloss over the technical magic of having a ferro-fluid which will change phases on a whim. In fact, it isn't necessary to consider a ferro-fluid at all, given the system you are proposing. I'm not sure if you realized this, but Iron is already ferromagnetic.

Having an electromagnet on the ship is essentially the same as tossing a ball from your left hand to your right. When your ball leaves your left hand (this is your gun system) you gain some momentum. However, when you catch it with your right hand ( your electromagnets) The ball imparts the momentum it has gained to you in the opposite direction, thus negating the forward momentum you gained from throwing the ball.

Also, you can't stop anything "Instantly."

I agree with the many previous people who have pointed out that there are only so many ways we can tell you that the laws of conservation of momentum exist. If you are still having trouble understanding that, then I don't know if there is anything we can do.

54 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

The laws of thermodynamics say this doesn't work. It would violate the conservation of energy, and break physics.

And since only the Kraken can do that, and I can't see any cephalopods in the design plans, I dub this as a "interesting but impossible to use" device.

~W. Kerman

Dear Sir,

just do a simple experiment .Take a Rubber band and try to stretched it with your hands and it will be stretched .Now take the help of an another person to catch this stretched rubber band in middle with the help of fingers .now release the right part of the rubber band but remember the left part of the rubber band must not be released( still in stretched position)  only released the right part .when you will release the right part of the rubber band then the person will feel a propelling force working on pushing his fingers in left direction of stretched rubber band.
this is very simple and it will take only a few seconds to understand this concept completely.   

18 minutes ago, vikram_gupta11 said:

Dear Sir,

just do a simple experiment .Take a Rubber band and try to stretched it with your hands and it will be stretched .Now take the help of an another person to catch this stretched rubber band in middle with the help of fingers .now release the right part of the rubber band but remember the left part of the rubber band must not be released( still in stretched position)  only released the right part .when you will release the right part of the rubber band then the person will feel a propelling force working on pushing his fingers in left direction of stretched rubber band.
this is very simple and it will take only a few seconds to understand this concept completely.   

...But you need energy to pull it back again, and the very act of which would make the system return to normal.

You need reaction mass. (Unless you have a EM drive...)

Also, the laws that say that this engine wouldn't work,

"

• The first law, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system.
  • The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of any isolated system always increases.

"

-https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

...Are the basic laws of the universe.

Also, if someone left you in LEO with a spacesuit, a watch, and a rubber band, you would quickly learn that messing with the rubber band, (without shooting it into space) wouldn't change your speed.

Edited by W. Kerman
10:13 Grammar ugh.

10 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

...But you need energy to pull it back again, and the very act of which would make the system return to normal.

You need reaction mass. (Unless you have a EM drive...)

Also, the laws that say that this engine wouldn't work,

"

• The first law, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system.
  • The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of any isolated system always increases.

"

-https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

...Are the basic laws of the universe.

Also, if someone left you in LEO with a spacesuit, a watch, and a rubber band, you would quickly learn that messing with the rubber band, (without shooting it into space) wouldn't change your speed.

You are right but  a front force on the front part will be grater than back force on back part in this design and the front force will work as a brake to stop the system in normal again.

I also have done many experiments on a perpetual machine and it will work so I think that Newtons laws are going to break.

I would like to know that can I post my concept in this thread regarding a perpetual motion machine or not to convinced you that there are some mistakes in Newton Laws to clear your doubts.

If you have a decent design for a perpetual motion machine, or some new research to overturn Newton's laws, why the hell are you posting it to a video game forum, and not somewhere that actually matters?!?

Just now, razark said:

If you have a decent design for a perpetual motion machine, or some new research to overturn Newton's laws, why the hell are you posting it to a video game forum, and not somewhere that actually matters?!?

Ok I will not post here .

thank you

Oh, you're free to post here.  I'm just wondering why you would post here instead of somewhere relevant, or publish your work in some actual form where it will get noticed.  I mean, sure, Einstein worked in a patent office, but he didn't just write his theories on the counter.  He had to actually get them noticed before they were worth anything.

13 hours ago, vikram_gupta11 said:

I would like to know that can I post my concept in this thread regarding a perpetual motion machine or not to convinced you that there are some mistakes in Newton Laws to clear your doubts.

I use Newton's laws in my job on a daily basis. If they were wrong I, and any other engineer or scientist, would sure as hell know.

If you're so sure it will work, spend your own money, develop the concept, and put it in space. Just be careful and don't try to get anyone to fund you. Getting investments for perpetual motion machines is fraud in some places.

Alright... I looked at the designs closely, and it would work as a system of propulsion.

Radation pressure from the sun would accelerate it!

There have been lots of attempts to make a perpetual motion machine, and for about 300 years, everyone who came up with a random complex machine would say it would revolutionize science, industry, etc.

300 years. 0 working machines.

Sorry folks, gotta lock this one.  The entire discussion clearly runs afoul of forum guideline 2.2.h.  If you want to talk about perpetual motion machines, there are plenty of other places on the internet where you can do so.

In addition, some further cleaning up has been done here.  A few friendly reminders:

• Please don't troll, no matter how sorely you're tempted.  It's not nice.  It's also against forum guideline 2.2.n.
  • Please don't "backseat moderate" (guideline 3.2).  If you see someone doing something you believe to be inappropriate, please just report the post and let the moderator team take care of anything that may need taking care of.  It's what we're for.
  • If you think you've figured out an amazing new perpetual-motion idea, please take it elsewhere; it's not for the KSP forums, see guideline 2.2.h.
  • If you see someone posting a scientifically nonsensical suggestion, feel free to demonstrate to them (politely, logically) the error of their ways, via science.  But when they prove resistant to logical argument, just let them be, okay?  Endless carping at someone who's impervious to your arguments isn't going to help anyone.
  • Do not publicly discuss moderator action (guideline 3.3).  For example, if a moderator's forced to come in and clean stuff up, including hiding posts, don't go posting about what was in the hidden posts.  They got hidden for a reason.  Let it lie, please.

Thank you for your understanding.