What's wrong with this picture?

cubinator

9gWQZ3g.jpg

So, I landed my meek ship on Minmus, on a bit of a slope but it looked like it was going to be fine. I got out, naturally, and started planting a flag when... :P:D The flag plaque had nothing to do with what was happening, I was completely oblivious until a moment before taking this screenshot.

43 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Or a big enough SAS. Minmus is also slippery (IMO). You can actually take off sideways. Save the game first, stow the legs and if the ground is level or sloping up it can work.

Yah... especially since the Terrier's got plenty of gimbal.  If you've got any kind of torque authority at all, you can bounce the ship a bit to get it even a smidgeon off the surface, then floor it and pitch up; the gimbal on the Terrier will let you pitch up really fast.

Only takes a brief burst to get a minute of ground clearance; then you can point where you want and fly how you like.

11 hours ago, DuoDex said:

If you have RCS you can probably push yourself upright. Minmus has weak gravity.

10 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

You can actually take off sideways. Save the game first, stow the legs and if the ground is level or sloping up it can work.

9 hours ago, Snark said:

If you've got any kind of torque authority at all, you can bounce the ship a bit to get it even a smidgeon off the surface, then floor it and pitch up; the gimbal on the Terrier will let you pitch up really fast.

I know. I brought it up right after planting the flag, by rolling it like a barrel until it bounced then throttling up.

9 hours ago, mythbusters844 said:

hmm...you're playing stock KSP without ven's and without a different skybox? or is it something else?

Stock.

(this is pasted from awesome Project Rho, which in turn is quoting from a novel by Larry Niven; the editor's note is from @nyrath who runs the site.)

(ed note: Beowulf Shaeffer is in a flying car, while Bellamy is in a spacecraft called "Drunkard's Walk" with an unreasonably powerful engine. Bellamy is trying to kill Beowulf. Beowulf bashes his flying car into the side of Drunkard's Walk then crashes into the ground. Drunkard's Walk lands using a "gravity drag" {don't ask})

The car was on its nose in high fern grass. All the plastic windows had become flying shards, including the windshield; they littered the car. The windshield frame was crushed and bent. I hung from the crash web, unable to unfasten it with my crippled hands, unable to move even if I were free. And I watched the Drunkard's Walk, its fusion drive off, floating down ahead of me on its gravity drag. I didn't notice the anomaly then. I was dazed, and I saw what I expected to see: a spaceship landing. Bellamy? He didn't see it, either, but he would have if he'd looked to the side when he came down the landing ladder. He came down the ladder with his eyes fixed on mine and Emil's sonic in his hand. He stepped out into the fern grass, walked over to the car, and peered in through the bent windshield frame.
     I could walk, barely. I could keep walking because he kept prodding the small of my back with the gun.
     We were halfway to the ship when I saw it. The anomaly. I said, "Bellamy, what's holding your ship up?"
     He prodded me. "Walk."
     "Your gyros. That's what's holding the ship up."
     He prodded me without answering. I walked. Any moment now he'd see ...
     "What the —" He'd seen it. He stared in pure amazement, and then he ran. I stuck out a foot to trip him, lost my balance, and fell on my face. Bellamy passed me without a glance.
     One of the landing legs wasn't down. I'd smashed it into the hull. He hadn't seen it on the indicators, so I must have smashed the sensors, too. The odd thing was that we'd both missed it, though it was the leg facing us.
     The Drunkard's Walk stood on two legs, wildly unbalanced, like a ballet dancer halfway through a leap. Only her gyros held her monstrous mass against gravity. Somewhere in her belly they must be spinning faster and faster ... I could hear the whine now, high-pitched, rising ...
     Bellamy reached the ladder and started up. He'd have to use the steering jets now, and quickly. With steering jets that size, the gyros — which served more or less the same purpose — must be small, little more than an afterthought.
     Bellamy had almost reached the air lock when the ship screamed like a wounded god.
     The gyros had taken too much punishment. That metal scream must have been the death agony of the mountings. Bellamy stopped. He looked down, and the ground was too far. He looked up, and there was no time. Then he turned and looked at me.
     I read his mind then, though I'm no telepath.
     Bey! What'll I DO?
     I had no answer for him. The ship screamed, and I hit the dirt. Well, I didn't hit it; I allowed myself to collapse. I was on the way down when Bellamy looked at me, and in the next instant the Drunkard's Walk spun end for end, shrieking.
     The nose gouged a narrow furrow in the soil, but the landing legs came down hard, dug deep, and held. Bellamy sailed high over my head, and I lost him in the sky. The ship poised, braced against her landing legs, taking spin from her dying flywheels. Then she jumped.
     The landing legs acted like springs, hurling her somersaulting into the air. She landed and jumped again, screaming, tumbling, like a wounded jackrabbit trying to flee the hunter. I wanted to cry. I'd done it; I was guilty; no ship should be killed like this.
     Somewhere in her belly the gyroscope flywheels were coming to rest in a tangle of torn metal.
     The ship landed and rolled. Bouncing. Rolling. I watched as she receded, and finally the Drunkard's Walk came to rest, dead, far across the blue-green veldt.
     I stood up and started walking.
     I passed Bellamy on the way. If you'd like to imagine what he looked like, go right ahead.
     It was nearly dark when I reached the ship.
     What I saw was a ship on its side, with one landing leg up. It's hard to damage hullmetal, especially at the low subsonic speeds the Drunkard's Walk was making when she did all that jumping. I found the air lock and climbed in.
     The lifesystem was a scrambled mess. Parts of it, the most rugged parts, were almost intact, but thin partitions between sections showed ragged, gaping holes. The flywheel must have passed here.
     The bouncing flywheel hadn't reached the control cone.
     Things lighted up when I turned on the communications board. I had to manipulate switches with the heel of my hand. I turned on everything that looked like it had something to do with communications, rolled all the volume knobs to maximum between my palms, and let it go at that, making no attempt to aim a com laser, talk into anything, or tap out code. If anything was working on that board — and something was delivering power, even if the machinery to use it was damaged — then the base would get just the impression I wanted them to have. Someone was trying to communicate with broken equipment.

From Grendel by Larry Niven (1968)

13 minutes ago, monstah said:

(this is pasted from awesome Project Rho, which in turn is quoting from a novel by Larry Niven; the editor's note is from @nyrath who runs the site.)

Thank you for dredging that up!  It's been a long time since I read the Beowulf Shaeffer stories.  I should go read them again.  :)

On 24.09.2016 at 5:52 AM, Snark said:

Yah... especially since the Terrier's got plenty of gimbal.  If you've got any kind of torque authority at all, you can bounce the ship a bit to get it even a smidgeon off the surface, then floor it and pitch up; the gimbal on the Terrier will let you pitch up really fast.

Only takes a brief burst to get a minute of ground clearance; then you can point where you want and fly how you like.

Heh, getting my base off the surface.

MK3 fuselage, large crew cabin, a few MK1 fuselages on the sides, with two nukes attached. Wouldn't even wobble on the RW alone, and nukes have no gimball.

Tuning thrust limiter on the nukes for turning, I slipped it over 4 kilometers first across a small flats, then up a cliff, and when the cliff ended, the base sprung above the plateau and was able to pitch up and fly to new destination.

In 1.2 I had an lander jump too, not sure if it was while planting flag but it surprised me. 
it had an far wider body so it did not tip over. 

Has however launched rockets sideways from Minmus a few times, works for smaller ships. 
Done the same with probes on Mun. My favorite might be the rover who tipped over and started rolling down the hill and I did an escape to orbit burn. 

7 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Heh, getting my base off the surface.

MK3 fuselage, large crew cabin, a few MK1 fuselages on the sides, with two nukes attached. Wouldn't even wobble on the RW alone, and nukes have no gimball.

Tuning thrust limiter on the nukes for turning, I slipped it over 4 kilometers first across a small flats, then up a cliff, and when the cliff ended, the base sprung above the plateau and was able to pitch up and fly to new destination.

I'm sitting pretty still here at work in relative silence, but the mental video of that has me rolling with laughter internally.

It wasn't as visually impressive, but once recently I landed on the Minmus slopes, got out and stuck a flag, and turned around, only to see the lander sliding downhill away from me!  My kerbal caught up, scrambled up the ladder, and took off okay.  Slightly annoying in retrospect but also very funny.  :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.