Help needed to get more science

Im not sure what to do next in career mode...

I've researched Basic Rocketry, Engineering 101, Survivability and Stability and have a Science Jr and a Goo Containment Unit.

Im trying to get into orbit with a ship made up of just fuel tanks and a couple of stages and of course engines but not having any luck.  All I'm getting is sub-orbital missions...

To try and get more thrust Im hitting the limits in parts and weight of the launchpad.

Where do I go from here to get more Science?

Edited by martinjh999

Welcome to the forums!  :)

You can get quite a bit more science, even with just the goo and the Science Jr.  Main thing is to make sure you've gotten all the science from everywhere you can reach.  Examples:

• Crew report, EVA report, goo, and Science Jr. while landed in various biomes (launchpad, grasslands, mountains, highlands, water, etc.)
  • Goo and Science Jr. while "flying" (airborne, not super high altitude)
  • Crew report while flying over KSC, flying over water, flying over grasslands, flying over mountains, flying over highlands, etc.
  • Crew report, goo, and Science Jr. from upper atmosphere
  • Crew report, goo, and Science Jr. from low altitude space (just getting to space is a lot easier than getting to orbit)
  • Crew report, goo, and Science Jr. from high altitude space (above 250ish km)

...you get the idea.  When you start unlocking more science nodes, get the one with the thermometer as soon as you can-- doing so will give you the ability to get yet more yummy science.  :)

Once you've upgraded the Astronaut Complex, you can go EVA while in flight, which allows getting reports from upper atmosphere, from low space over various biomes, and from high space.

If you get really desperate, you can make a tour around KSC collecting science (each building counts as a separate biome)... but you really don't need to-- just taking the approach above should unlock plenty to get you going.

3 hours ago, martinjh999 said:

...  All I'm getting is sub-orbital missions...

Are you incapable of getting to orbit or are you not getting orbital missions? Because you do not need any missions to go orbital. Just go. Once you've done it you will get more orbital missions.
If you simply fail to achieve orbit two things come to mind: you're doing something terribly wrong, your ascent is flawed somehow. (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Get_into_Orbit) Or you're overcomplicating your design. In a very early career less is often more. Possibly both.

Edited by Tex_NL

14 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Are incapable of getting to orbit or are you not getting orbital missions? Because you do not need any missions to go orbital. Just go. Once you've done it you will get more orbital missions.
If you simply fail to achieve orbit two things come to mind: you're doing something terribly wrong, your ascent is flawed somehow. (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Get_into_Orbit) Or you're overcomplicating your design. In a very early career less is often more. Possibly both.

I'm just trying to get enough thrust to get into orbit.  Those little engines you get even with a lot of fuel tanks don't seem to cut it...

Highest I've been is about 200,000

I may be overthinking it though your right - Like I said I have been hitting the parts and weight limits for the launchpad...

Edited by martinjh999

2 hours ago, martinjh999 said:

I'm just trying to get enough thrust to get into orbit.  Those little engines you get even with a lot of fuel tanks don't seem to cut it...

Highest I've been is about 200,000

I may be overthinking it though your right - Like I said I have been hitting the parts and weight limits for the launchpad...

Given what you've said, I suspect you're not flying to orbit along the correct path.  The early parts (Swivel, LT-200, etc) are definitely enough to get into orbit.  If you're hitting 200,000m but not getting orbit, then you're flying too high, too soon.

Orbiting isn't about altitude, it's about speed, and sideways speed in particular. You're literally throwing yourself at the ground... and missing off to the side.

Aim for an orbit with a highest point (Apoapsis) of around 80,000m, and a lowest (periapsis) of 75,000 or so.  If you're going higher than 80,000 then you need to turn eastwards (always eastwards at first) soon enough or hard enough.  Efficient flight to orbit is basically entirely sideways. Look for threads in this forum using the term 'gravity turn.'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.