Mod Community Base for 0.16

Should we allow multiple launches in a single 48-hour turn?  

1. 1. Should we allow multiple launches in a single 48-hour turn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if they're combined into a single lander

Cardinal, why do you say that DA/DR doesn't work? There are .16 releases for both, I have both installed, and both work just fine for me like they did in .15.2.

<snip>

I had four arms attached with hinges. Every 9 or 10 seconds the arms (hinges ) swung violently forward and backward, dampening out untill a steady state was reached and the arms were again at right angles to the craft. After a few seconds the whole process started again. I've read some comments about the same behaviour in an other thread (without a solution being offered).

I don't know what causes it and afaik no new version of DA has been posted. Because i don't know what causes it, i can't guestimate the consequences for other users. Therefor i have removed the mod from the Mod Community Base, spoken against using it and added the camera mod.

Sign me up for a new flight, please.

Edited by TheCardinal

Cardinal, would you mind uploading the .craft somewhere so I could take a look at it? I'm wondering if it might be a settings thing on your side, or you might not have updated to the .16 version when you thought you did, along with the others who have noted this issue, because I've used hinges fairly liberally, even in succession) and had nothing quite like this happen. When you say hinges, you mean the flat ones or the big elbow joint or ball-and-socket one?

Here's a couple images of some DR parts working for me:

ea5et.png

dw0Y7.png

The first is a couple of the elbow joints, the 1m truss, and a hydraulic cylinder working as a crane mechanism to drop off a mech jeb eqipped rover. Worked fine both on the pad and on the Mun. Second one is the DA VTOL engines working with the rotatron parts.

Anyway, in regards to the thread, I'm curious to know what the limitations are on using Mechjeb deployable/controllable craft? I'm thinking of making a rocket that carries two smaller stations with it and piloting one down to one of the high plateaus on Minmus and another down to a methane lake nearby, or dropping them off at the two poles. I know the poll is in favor of launching multiple craft, but what's the official ruling here? The two "stations" would be unmanned and just markers of a sort, and the final stage of the cargo/towing vehicle would be left up in orbit on a trajectory passing over them like a bit of a satellite relay network.

Here is the craft file of the craft with the DR arms and hinges.

I'm using version 1.2.1 of DR with the newest MuMechLib.dll (version 1.9)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47942810/SS-1d.craft

I previously forgot to post the link. Wait until you've completed your turn to examine it.

Edited by TheCardinal

Hey guys, sorry. I'm going to have to pass on my turn this time around. I was going to do my flight today but a bunch of stuff popped up I had to take care of and that lead to even more stuff and I'm just exhausted and won't have time tomorrow. You can throw me back on the end of the list and I'll do my flight when my turn comes back around. I will PM Zekes to let him know he can go. Sorry again, but thanks.

No worries, wildkitty. Real life always is more important (said from 2000 miles away from my home PC, hoping my turn doesn't come around until I get back to it.)

As wildkittyv1 says, It's Zekes' turn!

Edited by khyron42

Well, Zokesia-Minmus base is founded!

With K2-LRMM...

screenshot142.png

And Spacelab 1... (partially as a comms satellite and part for a laboratory)

screenshot143.png

No new mods, but I do have a rover waiting to land (on my next turn) as the rules say I can only land one ship at a time.

screenshot144.png

Also heres the picture of the Komms 1.....

screenshot146.png

Sign me up for another minmus flight so I can land my rover and Launch a resupply mission!

Its Earthpulse's turn!

Edited by zekes

So after many trial and error and the sad lives of many kerbals lost i hereby announce that Mun Command Alpha has landed at Outpost Delka.

Mun Command Alpha has an interior which can be used for low gravity expirements.

MunCommandAlpha.png

MunCommandAlpha1.png

MunCommandAlpha2.png

MunCommandAlpha3.png

MunCommandAlpha4.png

As you can see in the images it was my second try landing it while debris from the first try still lying around. (I actually landed at the exact same spot.)

Here you can find the new Persistence File .

No mods besides mechjeb where used in this craft.

Next up <b>khyron42</b>

Edited by Earthpulse

Because the NovaPunch download is unavailable, a new user isn't able to join you.

I have this problem too...

Is there a possibility to solve this problem?

EDIT: I found a NP i downloaded a time ago

so, please sign me in for a flight

Edited by KCST

I just finished a flight from Denver, bear with me - I'll do my flight and update the OP tonight.

---

Mod added: ExPI, now that it's updated to include 0.16 EVA hatches on the airlock pod.

Due to my design, I had to fly everything backwards; the ExPI airlock pod had to be upside down to work. Up was down, prograde was retrograde, madness reigned! The first two launch attempts flipped themselves over and plowed into the ground insisting that they were going straight up before I figured that out.

Successful Launch:

OmY55.png

Immediately after Trans-Minmus Insertion burn:

SkNSY.png

During landing approach, one of the many fixed cameras on board caught this view of the entire Kerbin/Mun/Minmus system.

YEf9k.png

Stationary and hovering just before landing - the landing location was chosen to be as close to the hills as possible without losing line-of-sight to Kerbin.

vbM1B.jpg

One of the crew poses for the fixed camera:

RSbLi.jpg

I also circularized the orbit for MOSH - it's now in a 401.8 x 400.8 km orbit. Someone requested that when I launched it and this is the first turn I've had since then.

Persistence file

I'm still working on updating the OP, and it looks like I'm also going to have to do a persistence merge - somewhere along the way the Distant Observatory got deleted from the save file, and maybe other ships too. I'll have a fixed copy ready in a few hours.

Edited by khyron42

The save file in the OP has been fixed - somehow Dogon's and TheCardinal's stations and all of zekes' ships got deleted from the save file Earthpulse uploaded. They've been merged back in.

All of the image links in the OP have been changed to clickable links, to limit image issues.

TheCardinal, it's your turn!

I did land a craft consisting of two sheds, a landing platform, a truck and some reserve fuel on Minmus, close to Minmus Prime base. The intention was to place al those parts seperately on minmus, however this morning i noticed that i hadn't set the staging correct (after the first staging, too late to correct my mistake). The result is so disappointing that i preferably would like to start over again, however my time is up now. Therefor i won't post a new persistence file (i.e. i retract my current addition).

I will start over with the same craft next time my turn is up. Mission: As described above with spacestation parts as my mod.

Please sign me up again.

As a small consolation a screenshot of the craft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31477[/ATTACH]

Edited by TheCardinal

The save file in the OP has been fixed - somehow Dogon's and TheCardinal's stations and all of zekes' ships got deleted from the save file Earthpulse uploaded. They've been merged back in.

All of the image links in the OP have been changed to clickable links, to limit image issues.

TheCardinal, it's your turn!

Strange, never recieved a message in the tracking station... Which mod did i missed?

Sorry about the issues, TheCardinal! Earthpulse, I don't know if it was a mod or something else going strange. I'm just glad you weren't crashed into the other ships when I merged them in.

I'm requesting another turn myself, too.

Wildkittyv1 is cleared for launch!

Edited by khyron42

Cool, I'm messing around with some .cfg edits tonight so I should be up for a while and might get my persistence up quickly. I think I'm gonna go with a Minmus landing and will make my decision based on what I see up there. Let's do eeeeeeeeeet.

Edit: Alright, I'm gonna PM Khyron just to make sure, but I downloaded the "updated" persistence in the first post and I see no vehicles on Minmus, so I'm assuming it's the wrong one. I'm going to download the last one posted in this thread, by Khyron, since it seems as though Cardinal's turn was skipped so he didn't add anything. Let's see...

Edited by wildkittyv1

Alright - flew my mission and landed Methodios Base Alpha on the far(currently dark) side of Minmus since the near side was fairly occupied with something on a frozen lake and the big plain thing covering that part of the moon. I didn't want to advance time a whole bunch, so I just landed it after a single orbit. If I have to refly this because I had the wrong persistence file, let me know with the correct link and I'll go ahead and do that. Got a 5 man crewtank on this thing so anyone who's looking for a home feel free to join the crew. Here's some photos and the persistence. I hope it's alright that I uploaded the persistence to my mediafire account.

Persistence: http://www./?zdnrkdthent6hqd

Added no mods

Methodios Base Alpha after landing and the crew initially disembarking

GXX3y.png

Here is where we are located on the plateau - I was considering moving closer to the edge but I wanted to get back to my main persistence. I might move it during my next flight.

sqbgk.png

And here is a screenshot of the orbital map screen and where Methodios Base is located on the dark side of the Mun.

DUTed.png

There are some nearby frozen methane lakes and mountains/canyons to explore. Sign me up for another flight - next time I think I will be tossing a crewable rover up there.

By the way, you guys leave a lot of space debris :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.