Carrier Landing Challenge

Wjolcz

Ok so here's my current entry, The Carrier Challenger I.

It landed with its nosewheel slightly past the center of the 4th line so I guess that's 115-(5)5 = 90 points.

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

But you can flip the plane just before the touch down. I kinda want to see that happen to be honest.

I actually had this idea earlier, but I found it not to be worth the trouble.

Pics

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
derp i meant to multiply by 5 since i was slightly past the 4th lol

4 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

@Veeltch, if you remove the juno engine restriction and set a minimum mass that is similar to that of a modern fighter, this would be really interesting. Other than that, people will just create huge light kites with immense braking ability, in the same way as @Van Disaster.

No reason to remove the engine restriction or make it a *modern* fighter - this is not a supercarrier. TBH "should bear a passing resemblance to a Vampire" is probably a better restriction :) the actual Vampire dry mass is a bit over 3t, I got my replica down to a bit over 2t which is why it'll fly so slowly.

Edited by Van Disaster

It's more of a "let's see if I can do it and have fun at the same time" challenge rather than "do this with this and this and nothing else" hardcore challenge.

I will set a new "unmanned" score board, because the lenght of a probe core and a cockpit arent the same, thus earning more points with a probe body is easier.

I'll be giving extra points for nice replicas and unusual ideas (kinda like in Mario Party) when we have 10 best results. The replica doesn't have to be a Vampire. Just make sure it has a Juno at the back.

Edited by Veeltch

Looks like a fairly comical caricachure, but you can build something "bearing a passing resemblance to a Vampire" with stock parts:

29945612016_3e1a1c1e19_b.jpg

At 3.3t ( under FAR at least ) it's suprisingly accurate mass-wise...

65 pts for me from this post, @Veeltch. I know I could probably get max score if I tried with the biplane, but it feels dirty :P

Edited by Van Disaster

So I thought I'd try an actual homemade carrier! slight problem with part count issues ( although it's only around 240 ) and a much bigger problem in that it's not actually visible until physics load time, but maybe with some part welding it could be an actual viable thing for a challenge? I used b9-PW for the deck but part-welded stock wings would probably be ok too. Part welding means making new parts, but as they're made of stock parts it's still technically stock for the purists.

Spoiler

29937606941_05c19131fb_b.jpg
29937607061_9e09824f42_b.jpg
29393101944_77bd926491_b.jpg
29937607431_a7140ec7f6_b.jpg
29937607731_25e7aefe8b_b.jpg

@Van Disaster I've found that mk3 fuselages on their side act as a durable deck, flotation device, and fuel containing combo. Anyways, your carrier looks pretty cool!

Also: I hate to be a bother but @Veeltch could you please update the leaderboard? :)

Challange accepted!

On 25/09/2016 at 8:48 PM, Veeltch said:

-No VTOLs

-No chutes

I'm guessing no airbrakes either?

And also im using LY05 and LY10 landing gears having max brake torque 30.(i dont know if they go to 200 in newer version because mine is old)

2 hours ago, KayBee said:

Challange accepted!

I'm not the OP but I feel like a ban on airbrakes would be a bit arbitrary. Any drag producing device can technically qualify as an airbrake, including your control surfaces if deflected from the airstream. Heck, your whole plane can be an airbrake if it's angled right.

2 hours ago, KayBee said:

Challange accepted!

And also im using LY05 and LY10 landing gears having max brake torque 30.(i dont know if they go to 200 in newer version because mine is old)

You can use airbrakes and spoilers.

Uh. Sorry for not updating the OP for such a long time. I need to get to my laptop first.

Edited by Veeltch

Here is my entry:

http://imgur.com/a/YVF0D

Two landings are shown where I am just beyond the third line, so must be 100 points. Five more points is certainly possible with this craft, given enough accuracy/patience/luck. A landing is simply cutting the throttle, whereafter it dives down and stops in like one turn of the main gear. Neither pretty or safe. It is hardly a surprise that real carrier landings are not rated by how short you stop.

This is what im using 

ElHwR13.png

Works pretty well. It can level fly at 20-25m/s with little throttle without stalling and can stop at the exact same position it lands. But i still cannot land it on the right place, i keep crashing into the pool or land way ahead. i will try to make good entry soon

Also if you want it manned i can easily add the external command seat.

On 04/10/2016 at 1:32 AM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

@Van Disaster I've found that mk3 fuselages on their side act as a durable deck, flotation device, and fuel containing combo. Anyways, your carrier looks pretty cool!

Also: I hate to be a bother but @Veeltch could you please update the leaderboard? :)

Hm, might be a few partcount issues making the entire deck out of Mk3 parts - my carrier was hollow underneath, didn't need a complete hull to float. It's a pity it's invisible before physics load; I didn't try overflying though, the unload distance is 22km now so maybe doing a circuit is the thing to do.

65pts + whatever replica bonus you end up with, I'm gonna stay with my vampire rather than use the biplane :P

1 hour ago, Van Disaster said:

Hm, might be a few partcount issues making the entire deck out of Mk3 parts - my carrier was hollow underneath, didn't need a complete hull to float...

Well the entire idea of using Mk3 parts was to make it low part count. For example, I made a 100m x 8m carrier for only 198 parts.

8 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Well the entire idea of using Mk3 parts was to make it low part count. For example, I made a 100m x 8m carrier for only 198 parts.

Dunno how big this one is, but it's out the doors...

Spoiler

30138187475_8ac388d8d1_b.jpg
30138187885_1d0fcee9a4_b.jpg

Sadly the unload distance for splashed-down craft seems to be 2.2km just like the loading distance. I can smell a little mod...

1 hour ago, Van Disaster said:

Dunno how big this one is, but it's out the doors...

Click on the icon in the lower right corner that looks like a gear with a wrench inside it. One of the things it displays is your craft's dimensions.

Also: I could make my carrier larger with roughly linear scaling of part count, I just didn't really bother bcc I can land inside 100m, and in the situations I typically use it (dmp server) having more than one plane on deck is asking for bugs (like teleporting to the bottom of the sea and exploding)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.