Kerbal Cockpit Simulator

Kotagi

25 minutes ago, Kotagi said:

@Sputnix When i first started this project I had found button pads the were white and blank. They were made out of plastic and came with its own board. I cant find them now. They were like 5-10 bucks and would have been perfect. If i could find another button board like that I wouldnt mind putting every button on the console, like you had mentioned. Maybe I will come across them again

Couple versions:

Soft-buttons: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-4-AVR-16-Key-Matrix-Array-For-Arduino-HOT-Membrane-Switch-Keypad-Keyboard-/331913224309?hash=item4d4791e075:g:a2YAAOSwayZXjn1V

Harder-buttons: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-Matrix-16-Keyboard-Keypad-USE-Keys-PIC-AVR-Stamp-DT-/252401435380?hash=item3ac44c42f4:g:P2IAAOSwH6lXRN1x

8-push-button matrix: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-push-buttons-Accessory-board-matrix-Keypad-keyboard-/250847006250?hash=item3a67a58e2a:m:mnzYlHe3bXMwBi2pLlpPIPQ

You could get a few of these together? Or work a way to create your own. @richfiles made his own mechanical keyboard doing a matrix-type system, so perhaps you could just go down that route? 

Oh... 16 button :D - http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-Matrix-Keypad-Keyboard-Board-16-Buttons-8-Pin-for-Arduino/262623278179?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39107%26meid%3D3fd9b395109f4215b8df5f35da7b7df0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D250847006250

Even better - you can wired your own buttons to the board, and not deal with the surface-mount stuff :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-4-4-Matrix-Keypad-Keyboard-module-16-Botton-mcu-For-Arduino-DIY-/401054871479?hash=item5d60bbafb7:g:CPoAAOxyDoZSHyQb

Edited by Sputnix

Like this?

4ffvZhU.jpg?format=1500w

That's referred to as a Planck in keyboard circles. it's actually got 48 keys (47 keys if you use a 2u space), and is very tiny. The Preonic adds another row of keys, giving you 12x5, or 60 keys (59 with a 2u space). Actual width is from your "1" key to your "=+" key. Ortholinear Keyboards Sells the Planck and Preonic. You could get a bare Planck plate, screw it right into your panel, and fill it with some MX switches and a keycap set, and you're golden! It looks like they have plates for it for around $10, and PC boards for $40. Gateron makes a good keyswitch, and you can go with any keycap set you like. Go with MX or MX compatible switches, as it'll make matching keycap sets easier.

For me, I used a $20 Teensy 2.0 as my controller. You just solder the switches in a matrix. using some diodes. in one direction, and just wires in the other. You program a firmware (there are a lot of pre-made firmwares... I'm trying to decipher how to use TMK), and it becomes a USB keyboard. The PC board is nice,a s it saves a LOT of labor, supports LEDs, and is only $20 more for the convenience of not having to manually wire it. I HIGHLY recommend the PCB route. A little keyboard like that would be perfect in the center console, off to the side.

Like I said, a Preonic adds the number row back in, but is the same width.

If you want even narrower style, consider getting a number pad style plate. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141643552738 is a 4x5 switch plate for a measly $12-13 for a pair. In theory, you could arrange them as a keyboard of 40 keys, but split, like the two keypads of the shuttle... They also do a 5x5  plate, if you want 50 keys instead of 40. I'd recommend with something so small, just wire it up. It's not hard. Use a Teensy 2.0 to control it. I can give pointers on that.

PS... If you want an old school instrument/vintage computer look, stick with SA or DSA style key caps. SA are tall, while DSA are low profile. An SA Row 3 profile produces a flat keyboard, while using an SA key cap set with other row profiles results in a curved keyboard surface.

Edited by richfiles

I7sM8tj.jpg

vf6O2xP.jpg

rvx1VPo.jpg

X4qeLKY.jpg

Ro2gJDz.jpg

7BPQgp0.jpg

mThJJmD.jpg

1 joystck down. Still need to paint it, and do a cap piece for the top

I used a dremel saw to cut it. I lost the chuck to my dremel so I have to use a drill...So it could have been prettier but it still looks pretty good as is..

Edited by Kotagi

On 11/12/2016 at 7:26 PM, richfiles said:

If you want even narrower style, consider getting a number pad style plate. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141643552738 is a 4x5 switch plate for a measly $12-13 for a pair.

" When i first started this project I had found button pads the were white and blank."

Jesus these are the ones I was talking about. I seriously looked for hours to find them again and here they are, gift wrapped and everything..:D. Thats awesome

Was thinking bout your dual joystick conundrum... (can't recall if you'd solved it or not :P ) You could use something like this -  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Ports-USB-2-0-HUB-Splitter-Box-ON-OFF-Switches-and-LED-Lights-Power-/172257100640?hash=item281b52c360:g:CHwAAOSw5ZBWQEpO - and rewire it so you have a single 'flip switch' in the middle which would switch USB devices on / off, allowing you to switch between the joysticks?

Can't seem to find any other type; I suppose you could make your own. Not sure how KSP likes devices being plugged/unplugged during game play. It should cope ok, though :):P 

I don't know how KSP is, but Farming Simulator 2015 for Mac used to hard freeze when controllers were plugged in, unplugged, or for that matter, even switched between corded or bluetooth!

I got so fed up with it, I decided to try another game I'd never played before called Kerbal Space Program! :P :cool:

Edited by richfiles

jnlv4xt.jpg

@SputnixLike that?

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

I don't know how KSP is, but Farming Simulator 2015 for Mac used to hard freeze when controllers were plugged in, unplugged, or for that matter, even switched between corded or bluetooth!

I actually noticed, if I dont start ksp with the joystick plugged in, they dont work in Advanced Fly-By Wire

18 hours ago, stibbons said:

Oh man, I really need to get myself a pocket hole jig.

Do it. Feel the power of the KREG!!!

Seriously though, they save so much time and make everything look professional. I wish I had them when I did the original frames. They could have been straighter :confused:

Edited by Kotagi

12 hours ago, Kotagi said:

@SputnixLike that?

Yeah, that's the one! :)
Gee they're quick :wink:

Have you tried using in the configuration I suggested it? (Also, how did I miss that?! :confused: )

12 hours ago, Kotagi said:

Seriously though, they save so much time and make everything look professional. I wish I had them when I did the original frames. They could have been straighter :confused:

Nonsense; that's just the kerbal way :D 

25 minutes ago, Sputnix said:

Have you tried using in the configuration I suggested it? (Also, how did I miss that?! :confused:

My joystick is mutilated right now. I cant test anything until I get it spliced back together. With advanced fly-by wire, I believe it lets you configure multiple joysticks. I will test when everything is fixed

I know that stock KSP only enumerates joysticks once, at startup, so hotplugging them while the game is running is off the cards.

Never tried Advanced Fly By Wire, but it looks like it bypasses the Unity joystick stuff entirely. Definitely worth trying the hotplug thing there.

So I have ran into a problem..Extended action groups doesn't work with krpc. As of right now. There is an exception written into the code that throws if you try to toggle an action group greater than 9. Here is the code I found

/// <summary>
        /// Toggles the state of the given action group.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="group">A number between 0 and 9 inclusive.</param>
        [KRPCMethod]
        public void ToggleActionGroup (uint group)
        {
            if (group > 9)
                throw new ArgumentException ("Action group must be between 0 and 9 inclusive");
            InternalVessel.ActionGroups.ToggleGroup (ActionGroupExtensions.GetActionGroup (group));
        }

I believe its pretty simple to change(change the 9 to a 250), and I am in the process of writing the mod authors and getting them to add this functionality. But..I dont think I will be able to complete this as designed if I am limited to 10 action groups. Hopefully we can get it worked out. If anyone has any experience in c# let me know. I dont know enough about it to recompile it. I use Python and barely, and python doesnt require you to recompile. If I cant get them to fix it, I guess I will have to take a class on c#..lol. 

Edited by Kotagi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.