[1.3] Planetary Domes

Thrimm

Kerbal Space Program - thousands of amazing hours of Gameplay: Build a ship and reach for the stars!
Planetary Base - hundreds of amazing hours of Gameplay: Get down to the surface and build a big fat colony!

Planetary Domes: Do both at once!

This Mod is amazing! And SOOOOOOO full of potential!
I can already imagine Adapters, (Rover-)Garages, Facilities and Plants ... Please keep up the great work! 
Please, please, PLEASE!!!

Edited by kamikazeamoebe

have just noticed this mod. amazing. cant install it yet as im playtesting 1.2

the domes themselves..... do they emit light or to you have to install lighting? im thinking ofcourse for when your mun base is on the dark side. would be brilliant if they automatically emitted light.

Personally I plan to either use a mod like Kerbal Weights or just modify the mass of a cargo bay to be equal to the mass of a dome to say it's carrying the parts. Launch and land that mass on the surface of wherever you're going then just hyperedit the domes from Kerbin to your final location and say you "built" them. Technically you did put in the work to get them there by transporting the mass.

it works best from a roleplay perspective more than a gameplay perspective I will admit. was going to do the same for "constructing" large space stations in orbit but now that RoverDude has his konstruction mod out I can thankfully retire that idea :) Well... might still need to do it for gravity rings...

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

it works best from a roleplay perspective more than a gameplay perspective I will admit. was going to do the same for "constructing" large space stations in orbit but now that RoverDude has his konstruction mod out I can thankfully retire that idea :) Well... might still need to do it for gravity rings...

What's this RD Konstruction mod? What's it called/link?

15 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Personally I plan to either use a mod like Kerbal Weights or just modify the mass of a cargo bay to be equal to the mass of a dome to say it's carrying the parts. Launch and land that mass on the surface of wherever you're going then just hyperedit the domes from Kerbin to your final location and say you "built" them. Technically you did put in the work to get them there by transporting the mass.

Which is basically doing the same thing as Extraplanetary Launchpads.  :wink:   (I'm not even sure which would be more effort...)

*screams like a little girl*. This is what I've been wanting in stock since day 1 of me joining!! A base, that I can literally build INSIDE of!!!! YAAYY!!!!.

*ahem*.. back to business now..... Is this compatible with KIS/KAS? If so I can just build this in the field, without strapping it to giant rockets.

Played with the mod in the VAB a bit. Now I need to share some thoughts.

It is nice to see the different shapes fitting at the same place. This way you can build a dome with 2 hulls, the hexagonal one is slightly more huge. Sadly you can only do so using the bigger ground plate and there is no way to stack more than 2 of them. I would have loved to have an outer double hull dome with another smaller double hull one in the middle.

Copying the airlock and the tunnel directories and adjusting the files a little gave me versions only half the size. They are still wide enough to support 2 Kerbals walking side by side and fit a bit better in the smaller domes, where the original airlock is a bit over-sized.

The airlock could have its 2 mount points on both sides. A bit more error prune but that way you can use a single airlock to connect domes without the need to use the move tool upon one of them. Also enables the possibility to intersect a long stack of tunnels.

The mount point at the bottom of the tunnels is surely meant to hold the rail of a monorail train connecting domes being a bit too far away to walk. Also a transport band for shorter distances.

I guess there is no point in placing pressurized structures under a dome. Although the room under the dome is to be used as efficient as possible. Thus a company producing the domes could also deliver buildings/structures fitting inside. Those parts would be cheaper, less heavy and dedicate more room to their main purpose since they lack any life support facilities. They are usually not launched into space in one piece but assembled at the place of the base.

The floor part's texture already intersects 4 triangular sections around the 4 mount points. Thus a building would be shaped like the 1/8 part of a sphere. The buildings matching to the bigger domes have a roof (with mount point) in the dimensions of the smaller dome building's floor. So you can stack different type of buildings. When there is a third and even bigger dome size in the future it can then feature 3 floor buildings.

Regarding the floor panel part and huge bases, a lifting jack like rack for attaching. Used to adjust the panel to be perpendicular and adjusting the height to compensate non flat terrain to a certain degree. A floor panel on a not so gravity rich body with a decent structure build onto might use 3 radial attached of them. On the other hand might additional mount points on the downside of the floor panel connect them.

10 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

How do I get these domes to another planet? They are pretty big (which is a good thing) but I would like to know how to get them to other planets without a very large rocket.

Your best bet is probably using Extraplanetary Launchpads to build the domes in-situ

12 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

Your best bet is probably using Extraplanetary Launchpads to build the domes in-situ

How do I get the resources for that to the planet? From my experience, large things require massive amounts of resources, as in way too much. (A soyuz rocket would take 11 million rocket parts or something crazy like that) But I can try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.