[1.3] Planetary Domes

Thrimm

Look great!

Some ideas for implementation in future version:

- changeable number of attachment nodes on plates - similar to mod that provide it for engine plates
- implement  single part with two different textures (switchable) and size determined by resizing (Realism Overhaul use this A-LOT) to reduce number of parts needed and overall footprint
- resizing (just to add it as separate topic) some of us love HUGE things :)

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hyperion9710 said:

how did you took off the helmet inside of the dome on the vid? :/ 

TextureReplacer allows that. By default it enables helmet removal on Laythe. For any other planet, you need to know where to write.

I have just read through the whole thread and I must say that I have been very impressed by the mod, and your videos, and your plans for the mod.

As I am not currently in a place to launch these domes in my career save, I'll wait for the eventual update before downloading.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 10:57 AM, SpaceMouse said:

@Thrimm Cool mod. May I ask how you did transparency? I know there was a old mod that did it but, this doesn't appear to be using that. Nor is it using the IVA overlay.

The domes themselves are not crewed parts that can be boarded and the kerbals disappear into. They are basic structural parts like the stock girders. The only IVA is in the airlock parts.

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The domes themselves are not crewed parts that can be boarded and the kerbals disappear into. They are basic structural parts like the stock girders. The only IVA is in the airlock parts.

Yes, I'm curious how he did it... I've been toying with making a few domelike things and I'd rather like the interior to be visible. As far as I'm aware, KSP has limited support for proper transparency.... Or at least used to.

12 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Yes, I'm curious how he did it... I've been toying with making a few domelike things and I'd rather like the interior to be visible. As far as I'm aware, KSP has limited support for proper transparency.... Or at least used to.

There are several parts with transparent pieces now. :) Get in touch with some modders of pieces with transparent sections, including this one. There may also be an answer for you in the dev tools and tutorials threads or subsection of the Addon boards.

On 23.09.2017 at 6:17 AM, SpaceMouse said:

There is a Transparent shader under Legacy Shaders that you can use. It works with KSP, you're not limited to predefined KSP shaders actually. I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Love your vids! Enjoying the JCB at the moment.
While reinstalling a game, I came across a small error that this mod kicks up in the log file when the game loads. 

In the agency file, there is a missing title property for the agent module listed. Most mod makers seem to be just adding the same value as the agent name.

AGENT
{
    name = Thrimm Aerospace
    title = Thrimm Aerospace

description = Science and Exploration

logoURL = PlanetaryDomes/Resources/ThrimmAerospace
    logoScaledURL = PlanetaryDomes/Resources/ThrimmAerospace_Scaled

mentality = Scientific
    mentality = Commercial
    mentality = Perfectionist
}

Absolutely love this mod. I'm still a long way from being able to use it in my ongoing career game, but I did some playing around with it in sandbox and can't wait! I built the frame of what I hope to eventually be an interstellar colony ship, but I'm probably going to need a more economical engine than what I used here.

Spoiler

LB2KQFk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got this and I'm exploring the possibilities. I've always hated having to deal with surface bases (landing close enough to them was always a pain), so I've made a lot of really large spaceships. This mod could actually work really well for that too. Would be nice if there were some space-craft friendly adapters to go from a standard-ish size (say 5m and 7.5m) to the base plates offered here. Maybe opaque spheres that are truncated off at 3.75 or 5m sizes, then not need base-plates? Right now I could probably do full spheres on top of parts, but then attachment nodes get tricky.

Full tube airlocks and tunnels would be welcome for this, too. Think of space stations!

Anyway, just an idea if you're looking for work to do! Love it so far!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brandon Kerbin said:

Stupid question, but I assume kerbals can walk and float around inside?

Just answered my own question by watching the trailer, but am intrigued by the possibility of a planetary lander with a dome on top...

Yes, and no :)

The video employed some trickery with Texture Replacer at the time and editing a cfg file somewhere to code Duna a breathable atmosphere.  Yes they can walk around, but not without their helmets!

Peace.

• 5 weeks later...
On 26.9.2016 at 6:44 AM, Thrimm said:

KNOWN ISSUES: Large bases on uneven terrain don't cope well with timewarp, as they end up partially in the ground.

Kerbal Konstructs (current dev  release )can now be used to flatten the terrain. This should make things easier for placing bases (you have to use the editor).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, billybob579 said:

Any chance for a patch for 1.4.3? This is a really cool looking mod, and I'd love to add it to my ongoing career save.

Chances are that @Thrimmwon't pick this message up unless you use his moniker like I have.  In saying is he was working on a large update (awesomness with opening and shutting 'airlock' doors to be able to walk straight into the domes on EVA), but I think he may have given away modding due to enjoyment/ time it takes and issues around the recent EULA.

Still, support Thrimm tough by checking out his great youTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0azVlk0TJL4oNlsZHQCzAA

To answer you question

This mod does work with 1.4.3 as far as I have used it - I like the dome plate especially :)

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 11:41 PM, theJesuit said:

Chances are that @Thrimmwon't pick this message up unless you use his moniker like I have.  In saying is he was working on a large update (awesomness with opening and shutting 'airlock' doors to be able to walk straight into the domes on EVA), but I think he may have given away modding due to enjoyment/ time it takes and issues around the recent EULA.

Still, support Thrimm tough by checking out his great youTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0azVlk0TJL4oNlsZHQCzAA

To answer you question

This mod does work with 1.4.3 as far as I have used it - I like the dome plate especially :)

Peace.

Thanks for confirming that it works; I'd actually tried it before and encountered a bug that I thought was due to this mod, but after seeing this I reinstalled and it worked just fine. Also, doubly thanks for the channel recommendation. All the videos on MKS couldn't have come at a better time.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.