[1.3] Planetary Domes

Thrimm

There are a couple of ideas I want to implement/working on/"would be great to have no idea how to make it work yet", so I decided to share them with you and ask about what you guys think would be neat to have. There are:

1. A cycle airlock animation. Instead of open door 1 or 2, it would be a single animation for going inside or outside, opening doors for you (easy)

2. A door animation that plays automatically when a Kerbal is close (feasible, but technical details escape me - help highly welcome. Part triggers and stuff, custom unity layers, just how to make it actually work)

3. Automatic helmet/suit removal when inside. @PrivateFlip made a great experimental plugin for this mod a long time ago that proved the concept, but I was too lazy to expand on his work. Still a great thing to have. (hard for me)

4. More dome types (easy/medium - due to new features)

5. Small domes seem obsolete now? ( no effort)

6. Interior pieces, crewed compartmnts etc. We're talking ISRUs, greenhouses, habitats, dormitories or dormitory domes. Anything you can crew with an IVA or that you like, or that works with your favorite base building mod but this time with its own PD twist. (medium/hard, mainly due to complexity. Single instances are actually easy.)

So, what would you like to see most?

Cheers,

Thrimm

Edited by Thrimm
Typos

@Thrimm, I have a bunch of ideas dreams but no skills to implement them, thanks for seeking some input!

1. Cycling airlocks would be neat and probably better and perhaps should be the way they would work in practice.

2. I'm not worried about the proximity thing.  That sounds complicated to setup!  And it might cause hilarity problems if a kerbal had no helmet on inside an airlock and someone walked past on the outside, cycled it and killed Bill...  great for storytelling though :)  see more on this below in 3.

3. I've wanted an automatic helmet remove thing for ages.   This would be very cool.  The only way to implement it currently is cheating like you did on the initial release video by kopernicus' an atmosphere.  I was thinking that if I ever did a cinematic i'd put the most tenuous of atmospheres on the the Mun so that I could tell the kerbals to remove helmets, but not affecting ISP too much.  Having this concept available as part of the dome mod part would be great and would be available for more storytelling cinematic purposes.
    In saying that, could you extend the concept by treating the domes as say a 'cargo bay?' and having a plugin that allowed helmet removal inside a cargo bay if it was closed.  I don't know if that is possible, perhaps the helmet removal function would check if you are in the box that is occluded from atmospheric forces.  I seem to remember that a loose kerbal or part inside a cargo bay wasn't subjected to atmospheric drag if the cargo bay doors were closed.  Could you manipulate this to your advantage?
    from 2 - If a kerbal is in an airlock that cycles, and doesn't have a helmet, could they be thrown out of the airlock to simulate being pulled into space?  THAT would be hilarious!

4. More dome types - of course.  Larger... even a massively huge one - and the floors to go with them.  See 6.
    Perhaps lights as lights built into domes would be good.  But not 'dormitory domes' or 'ISRU domes' have parts to populate them as in 6.  The joy of this mod is that you can walk through it.
    Also, a non transparent dome that has the walls petal open - like a cargo bay.  The floor of this dome happens to be an EL launchpad.  So when you come to build your craft, you do so in a short sleeve (helmetless) environment, then once finalized, the dome opens up to reveal the craft.  @taniwha might help with this?  Also, ideas for implementing base building below in 6. using the EL craft extenders.
    Large airlocks for vehicles.

5. Small domes act as corridor hubs?

6. I have list, a little list, pretty similiar to your suggestions.
  • I like KSPB, but those buildings have airlocks.  If you are in a dome, you don't need an airlock on internal buildings, so stackable accommodation units that are bedroom/ bathroom.  Cheap and easy, box flats, dormitories.  IVA if possible, but easy.  Small bed and desk.  Command space for the kerbals to get some damn work done for a change, perhaps chat with @Nils277?
  • Storage units for food
  • A lab
  • A factory for ExtraPlanetary launchpads.
  • Water feature like a pool :)
  • Stackable floors with ramps.  You have the floors with nodes, but this would be like a second level floor that you can get into - above the airlock height obviously.  In the largest of domes there is a lot of air space that is unusable if you can't get to it, so maybe a floor to be held up by box flats, with a stair built in?
  • Trees.  I want to plant trees on the Mun.  This.  So much this.  Please.  So that it isn't so sterile! Animation seems unlikely, so adult trees.  Bob has no interest in waiting for trees to grow. 
  • And a vege garden that would be a greenhouse part for Life Support mods.  You don't have to configure that, someone else would I'm sure (I could probably config for kerbalism).  The domes would have to NOT occlude light though...
  • I would think that ISRU and drills would be outside of domes.  Messy, heat, exhausts is better outside.
  • The floors could possibly be configured with the EL modules that allow you to build onto bases or even reconfigure through via the recycler mod?

I have written more than I intended.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Peace.

Docking Ports would be a great add on so you can dock the domes together , that's about all , well apart from HUGE Domes , thanks for taking the time to reintroduce this to KSP , i''ve missed this mod a lot . 

Pie in the sky dreams , think Logans Run the movie so erm round tubes so I can work out a way of building a tube system for crafts to travel from one dome to another , yer  yer I know mad idea but you did ask lmao .

Edited by Puggonaut 2
Another silly Idea

16 hours ago, Thrimm said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm pretty simple.

2-2-Structure-Domes-1030x773.jpg    118b8a3fa98db383ab2122ca961a7bff.jpg

All I'd like to see would be slightly more reflective "glass".

A dome with triangle patterns like those found on a buckminster geodome would also be great.

Providing it's not too much trouble of course.

Wernher we need to chat about your latest idea 

Did I also mention , if possible , you know the walkways that join to the Domes , how about two other versions 15 & 30 @ Angles  , se erm weird an wacky things can be made , not that i'd do that sort of thing , or try and build a rail system to a launch base on the water or to the old airfield , nope not me ……..

On 8/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, Thrimm said:

There are a couple of ideas I want to implement/working on/"would be great to have no idea how to make it work yet", so I decided to share them with you and ask about what you guys think would be neat to have. There are:

1. A cycle airlock animation. Instead of open door 1 or 2, it would be a single animation for going inside or outside, opening doors for you (easy)

2. A door animation that plays automatically when a Kerbal is close (feasible, but technical details escape me - help highly welcome. Part triggers and stuff, custom unity layers, just how to make it actually work)

3. Automatic helmet/suit removal when inside. @PrivateFlip made a great experimental plugin for this mod a long time ago that proved the concept, but I was too lazy to expand on his work. Still a great thing to have. (hard for me)

6. Interior pieces, crewed compartmnts etc. We're talking ISRUs, greenhouses, habitats, dormitories or dormitory domes. Anything you can crew with an IVA or that you like, or that works with your favorite base building mod but this time with its own PD twist. (medium/hard, mainly due to complexity. Single instances are actually easy.)

Cheers,

Thrimm

Glad to see you back, guess I came around this mod post again at the right time.

Personally I like the idea of no suits in the dome, as its challenging but this is little more than immersion.

I like the idea of having buildings and such inside the domes I currently have mods with reasonable ones to put in. But greenhouses and habitats and isru buildings would make it all feel more like a functioning base. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really love that this is back. I have some suggestions for appearances and designs below, it's the same stuff I posted a year or more ago. Have some parts that aren't see through, have some parts that are small with internals that aren't only black and white. Have some connecting tubes that are square in shape

Edited by The-Doctor

I made a Textures Unlimited patch for the 1.7 beta version. It gives the dome frame, tunnel frame and airlocks a shiny metallic look, and adds a smooth reflection to all the glass meshes. Also shinifies some of the props (fire extinguishers, oxygen tanks). It's a bit visually glitchy (beware if you download), sometimes part of the glass textures disappear at a certain camera angle, but otherwise I think it looks pretty cool.

Some bits are left untouched on purpose (large floor, first aid packs, airlock consoles, lamps...) 

Full Album

I4rUusL.png

mnA0sdt.jpg

Download Link (Dropbox) (Make sure you have Textures Unlimited and Module Manager installed first, then just drop this file anywhere in your GameData folder)

Edited by lBoBl
Added download link

On 8/6/2019 at 11:46 PM, Thrimm said:

Cheers,

Thrimm

1. Yeah do that ! :) 

2. 1. would already be great... I'd say just put this on your super long term roadmap perhaps ?

3. This would be absolutely fantabulous. Immersion factor over 9000.

4. That would be nice but I like what we already have.

5. Yup... I never used them even in previous versions... But seeing the KSP 2 trailers with these small agricultural domes stacked on top of "regular" parts I don't really know anymore.

6. This isn't the hard part, I know, but please, can I help ? ;) I've always wanted to have more functionnality for these domes. I often play with MKS or KPBS but their assets are not really designed for interiors and it seems esthetically wrong to just place them inside domes, particularly for MKS. Actually I was about to make some very simple parts that could eventually fit inside these domes, but if there's an opportunity for collaboration, I'm in !
And btw I think greenhouses and habitations are more relevant, ISRU and refineries would more logically be outside, close to the mining drills. Perhaps some small open science labs would be cool too ? 

22 hours ago, lBoBl said:

6. This isn't the hard part, I know, but please, can I help ? ;) I've always wanted to have more functionnality for these domes. I often play with MKS or KPBS but their assets are not really designed for interiors and it seems esthetically wrong to just place them inside domes, particularly for MKS. Actually I was about to make some very simple parts that could eventually fit inside these domes, but if there's an opportunity for collaboration, I'm in !

And btw I think greenhouses and habitations are more relevant, ISRU and refineries would more logically be outside, close to the mining drills. Perhaps some small open science labs would be cool too ? 

Of course, if you're interested. PM me and we can discuss the details :)

On 9/4/2019 at 7:49 PM, lBoBl said:

Download Link (Dropbox) (Actually, @Thrimm, can I do that ?) (Make sure you have Textures Unlimited and Module Manager installed first, then just drop this file anywhere in your GameData folder)

No problem for me. We could integrate it into a future full release as optional texture pack or something as well. Meanwhile I'm happy if people are willing to try out your work.

Edited by Thrimm

On 8/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, Thrimm said:

Hello,

after quite some time I present you with a beta version of PD working with the current version of (KSP 1.7.x).

So far there is only one dome (new type and functionality) new airlock (new animations and functionality) and an updated tunnel.

In this pre-release dome(s) are equipped with lights and active nodes (bits appear or disappear as a function of stuff attached to nodes - designed to work with airlocks). Airlocks now have animated doors and your Kerbals can walk through them, so it no longer works as a part with crew capacity.

Enjoy:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-_d0U9nWso8hfgt-cH10znM-fMXFzMsg

Cheers,

Thrimm

Edit: A snippet of how it should work now :)

I downloaded this, put the PlanetaryDomes folder into my GameData folder but I don't see any new parts.
Am I missing something? Do I need to research it?

Edit: woops, just realised I do need to research it, my bad :D!

Edited by Folkhoer

@Thrimm good to see you around these parts again! (Pun intended)

I’m not sure if you hear about the Breaking Ground grippyPads (™) but it may be nice to add the PhysicMaterial module to the dome bottom to make them grip the surface nicely. I think this requires setting a material/transform up for it in a modeling program, but if Squad can do it, it can’t be hard ;) 

3 hours ago, Jognt said:

@Thrimm good to see you around these parts again! (Pun intended)

I’m not sure if you hear about the Breaking Ground grippyPads (™) but it may be nice to add the PhysicMaterial module to the dome bottom to make them grip the surface nicely. I think this requires setting a material/transform up for it in a modeling program, but if Squad can do it, it can’t be hard ;) 

That's actually a neat idea, thanks!

@theJesuit 

Thanks for the welcome :) 

New to the forum indeed but not on KSP ^^ I'm going to try the Google file thank you, because I had the mod from the first pag,  but the glass dome didn't appear in my game. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT : it works just fines, thanks a lot ! I'm looking forward for the next updates ! Looks very promising !

Edited by KerbalInPeace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.