Land a mothership!

Land a mothership!

Just land one, on Gilly, Duna, Eeloo or whatever.

Just land it!

And post pics. (Not necessary, but please post pics)

Will add a badge soon!:cool: (If I can)

What counts as a mothership:

Something bigger than a Jumbo 64 tank.

Min. mass full: 30t.

Edited by Gardevoir11
Update

I landed one on Moho.
YR202Pq.png
Not sure how long it is. This particular one also landed on Minmus, and I am planning to try to land one that is 100 meters long on Gilly soon.

EDIT: It might be worthy to note that the crew was stranded. I rescued them, though. And then I sent them to Eve.

EDIT 2: And that's how my first Kerbal on Moho became my first Kerbal on Eve.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

A few weeks ago (playing v1.1, completely stock with only KER installed), I took a mothership to Minmus to refuel. Then went to Jool for the main mission. Does that count?

I compiled a short imgur album from the screenshots of that mission. Picture 6 shows the landed mothership. Not nearly as impressive as the enormous motherships in the first few posts... but I thought I'd share anyway. Curious to hear if this is what you hoped to see! 

Here she is landed at Minmus:

p21jF59.jpg

From left to right: Tanker, Mothership, Refuel-rover, mining rig, auxiliary rover.

On a sidenote, I think that the challenge could use a few more clarifications what counts as a mothership in your opinion.

My "Decade Thrush" fully stock interplanetary SSTO landed on Minmus, the Mun, Duna, Ike, Dres and Laythe so far. I think it would be able to get from Laythe to Vall and then on to Bop, Pol and Eeloo too but my skill at taking off from Laythe is not perfect and I ran out of fuel just above Vall's surface with a speed of about 50 m/s. Still, I think it's rather neat. Here you go:

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/146167-ssto-large-ish-tour-flight-of-the-decade-thrush

071.png

• 1 month later...

Not really a modership - just a freighter, 166 tons reaches LKO. Does that count? Alongside with command+cargo and manufacturer modules. That's a standard Gigantor extended there, for size reference.

I8bAkcQ.png

My other notable big landings: Tanker on Minmus. Mass...not sure what its dry mass is but the mass of fuel alone is 390 tons.

Ie4Y3im.png

and a class E asteroid tug on Kerbin. Wet mass 481 tons. Dry mass a little over 100 tons. Unfortunately, due to geometry, it's impossible to land without destroying one set of gigantors and cooling panels.

iq880qD.jpg

Edited by Sharpy

A planned landing on Minmus for refueling the mothership:

yk06J1I.png

(Note that the mothership has landing legs, showing this was all according to plan!)

And an unplanned landing on Pol. Mothership is a lot smaller, after it dropped a bunch of tanks here and there before getting to Pol. :)

dtmGHFP.png

Complete mission report here.

@Sharpy, where was the 1st picture taken (with the tall nerv-powered ships)? Bop? Gilly? How did those not fall over?

1 minute ago, Magzimum said:

@Sharpy, where was the 1st picture taken (with the tall nerv-powered ships)? Bop? Gilly? How did those not fall over?

Gilly. SAS is more than enough to keep them upright. I'm not entirely sure if I couldn't set them upright from horizontal using SAS alone there.

On 27.09.2016 at 2:43 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

EDIT 2: And that's how my first Kerbal on Moho became my first Kerbal on Eve.

"And that's how my first Kerbal stranded on Moho became my first Kerbal stranded on Eve", right?

My spaceships are too ugly :( But i have one going to Jool, and its planned to enter into pol orbit. It was never designed to land, but, i will try tonight. My long term missions usualy takes a mothership and a mining vessel. The mining vessel never returns to Kerbin.

I will post some pictures tonight.

9 hours ago, Sharpy said:

"And that's how my first Kerbal stranded on Moho became my first Kerbal stranded on Eve", right?

Hehe. I actually returned him. It's in my mission report, if you want to dig through it. Soon, when I get around to making more chapters, he might get to be my first Kerbal on Dres.

Oh, and on topic:

UNxSXCB.png

That is 916 Kerbals to Minmus in one launch.

Unless whackjob sees this thread, I think I might have won.

Every medium and heavy cargo spaceplane ever.

I mean, let's look at a typical space bus I might make? Center column of 3 long fuel fuselages and a cockpit, two stacks of 6 mk3 passenger cabins. 2 stacks of 4 mk3 passenger cabins all passenger stacks with air intakes and fuel adapters on the front and fuel adapters at the back, all on some massive delta wings with about 20 RAPIERs.

The crew cabins alone are 125 tonnes. The total onboard fuel is at least 200 tonnes. The rest probably weighs 50 tonnes or more. If it lands empty, we're talking nearly 200 tonnes. If it lands fueled, that's 400 or so tonnes.

• 3 weeks later...

Is 30,000 tons1 and 99 meters of height2, all in an SSTO package, too much to land on Minmus?

zTwzwPE.png

It is a mothership, because it has a working, open-able and close-able bay. It is my current project in sandbox, so more landings may be to come, hopefully with payloads. I didn't bother/forgot to add vernors (which the next version will have), and landing in a ship that needs to land with virtually zero vertical velocity is hard with only gimbal and hardy landing panel legs at your side.

Lzp4laO.png6gXM32E.png

Spoiler
On 9/26/2016 at 2:15 PM, Kuzzter said:

Ok...is a ship 53 meters long, 1400 tons fueled, and carrying a complete air wing "mother" enough for you?

Quite impressive in itself, and I say it is "mother" enough in general, but personally for using, I say no. This is because the close-able bay has to be small, with extremely limited room, for a ship that small. I am quite more impressed in that you actually made useful use of such a mothership's close-able bay, and also in that you landed it, or even attempted to land it, so precise. No offense, it is quite amazing, I just find that ship's bay limited enough to not fit large payloads, which is the general reason I made the ship above (not exact, I never saw your ship when making mine until I was in the launch testing and last-minute details phase)

1: 30000 tons when fuel reserves are full on the RunwayPad3, but it has ISRU and drills, and I am about to dock the ore tank I forget to add.

2: With aerospike antenna extended. It is about 98 meters tall with the aerospike antenna retracted

3: The launchpad is too small, but the runway isn't

Edited by LaytheDragon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.