Mod idea: Rival Space Program

Yellowburn10

So, I've had this idea for a while, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to think about this, but I think I figured out how to make a Rival Space Program.

Now, I'm no modder, so I couldn't really put any of this together myself, but my idea is that, to simulate a different space program launching things into space, you could use the code the game uses to generate asteroids and stranded kerbal pods, to generate "ships" made by the Rival space program (RSP for short). The ships would generate in various locations depending on how far it's space program has developed. Ex: a low level RSP would only have ships and sattelites in LKO, possibly ships landed on kerbins moons. A high level RSP could have ships, bases, etc. all over the solar system. The type of craft it spawns also needs to be determined by the current tech and funds it has, if that's somehow possible. How fast they advance would also scale with difficulty.

With the RSP, your main goal would be to beat them in the kerbal space race, obviously. Your space program's rep would go up or down depending on if you do certain things before or after the RSP. There could also be certain contracts, like "Land on the Mun before the RSP" that would show up and give you more funds if you do it successfully. You could even go as far as, say, "Launch a spy satellite to see what the RSP is doing next." Basically, the contract system would be geared more towards objectives that beat out the RSP.

That's the basic idea I have for it, anyways. I don't know how much work would be needed to make something like this work, but it certainly would be cool.

9 hours ago, Andiron said:

I'm pretty much waiting for multi-player to come (soonTM) to have scenarios with real players. Dark MultiPlayer is a start

Multiplayer is certainly exciting, for sure. But this is different than that. This is an in-game, kinda AI-like space agency that is in direct competition to you and your career. It's not really meant to feel like a real person, per say, but rather an entity that's purely there to one-up you.

Edited by Yellowburn10

Note that this is what Squad intended NOT to implement.

Some questions arise.

How to make them build a legit rocket that flies without problem using solely computer algorithms? What about complex decisions that computers can't do? (Like, uh... You know MechJeb could do about some situation, but not very effective?)

I feel like this is fun thing to do, but probably not very implementable, or VERY HARD to implement. Probably enough to destroy some potatoes and wooden computers.

Anyways, one thing that's clear this time is that I'm not a mod maker.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.