Jinxed airplane has asymmetric lift - why??

Hi! I have designed a run-of-the-mill SSTO. Nothing special, gets Kerbals to orbit. Unfortunately, I noticed an issue: one of the fuel tanks does not provide lift, and only on one side!!

http://imgur.com/a/M5wRF

Craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/jinxed-jet/Jinxed.craft

I just don't get what is wrong with it. Can anybody help me out here?

ps.: This happens both in 1.1.3 and in 1.2.

14 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

I just don't get what is wrong with it. Can anybody help me out here?

You have an Mk2 cargo bay in between them. Cargo bays are very finicky at the time of deciding what they 'occlude' from airflow, and parts right outside of them can suddenly, for no apparent reason, be decided to be occluded.

This is most often noticed by the dreaded 'Cannot deploy while stowed' message of things like landing gear or panels nearby a cargo bay, but it also affects things that provide lift or cause drag, in which case you get unpredictable behaviour of your craft as sometimes the lift or drag is there and sometimes, without apparent reason and no real change, it's not.

Seeing this problem a lot in the stock game (so without far installed). You have to tanks radial attached on your cargobay, and sometimes the game messes up in cases like this.,

I don't know if you have FAR installed, in that case I don't know the problem..

But do you also experience a drag to the left? When you turn SAS of, with a non-symmetric craft your plane should go left or right.. If not, it's only a visual problem.

18 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

You have an Mk2 cargo bay in between them. Cargo bays are very finicky at the time of deciding what they 'occlude' from airflow, and parts right outside of them can suddenly, for no apparent reason, be decided to be occluded.

I know of these issues, but replacing the cargo bay did not fix it.

9 hours ago, DrLicor said:

But do you also experience a drag to the left? When you turn SAS of, with a non-symmetric craft your plane should go left or right.. If not, it's only a visual problem.

2 hours ago, Val said:

As far as I'm aware, this is a bug with the Aerodynamics overlay, not with actual lift generated.

Thanks guys, that's the solution! Even with SAS off, the plane was sort of stable (a lot more stable than it would be with real asymmetric lift). So yes, it is indeed just a visual problem. Quite strange though. If it's not already reported, someone should report a bug.

8 hours ago, tg626 said:

I noticed a pull to the left with a flying wing design I was fiddling with.  Figured I'd wait and see if it was a bug.  No bays on mine, just very big wings on a small fuselage.

I have minimal pull to the right (although lift at the right tank should cause a left-turn), so I believe our issues are separate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.