Devnote Tuesday: The wait is almost over!

SQUAD

11 minutes ago, chimpbone said:

Any news on 1.2 on console yet or are we still ignoring that subject?

From the OP:

Nestor, our producer, has some great news: the Xbox One patch has passed certification! This patch will be released this week and it will finally solve the save file issue that Xbox One players have been experiencing. Please stay tuned on the forum for the announcement. Nestor also wanted to let you know that we are still testing the PS4 patch to solve all the issues this port has presented, we’ll keep you informed about the advancements, but unfortunately there are no news regarding the release date for that patch, yet.

@Red Iron Crown that quote from the OP is a little ambiguous as to whether that is just a small patch to fix the save issue, or if it's the 1.2 update. 

I rather think that it's just a small patch, since 1.2 isn't final for pc, and then it would still need to be ported by Flying Tiger, and then it would go through certification. 

Considering the huge lead time and stack of approvals required to get something on the consoles, I feel certain it's a small patch to fix the save issue.

Edit: there's a reason I wear my Rooster Teeth PC MASTER RACE t-shirt... (obviously that's severely tongue-in-cheek since I run Linux and until recently the only decent games have been KSP, Minecraft, and solitaire)

Edited by GeneCash

22 minutes ago, chimpbone said:

Any news on 1.2 on console yet or are we still ignoring that subject?

The process is that once an update is released as official (which is some week(s) away for 1.2) the code is handed over to Flying Tiger for consoleification.

After getting consolificated it's handed over to MS/Sony for certification (and possibly bounced back and forth a couple of times).

So any console updates (except for console only bug fixes) will always lag significantly behind the Win/Linux/Mac updates.

@Red Iron Crown, the patch coming out on console isn't 1.2 is it? That would be amazing, but I don't think that's the case. I think the patch is just addressing the save issue. 

The reason I was asking is because there has been so much talk about 1.2 and how good it is, and there has been no word from Squad about when 1.2 might actually come to console. 

Edited by chimpbone

Hi first time on these forums I cant wait for them to fix the Xbox one KSP but to be plain spoken the save file is not the only issue the game has on Xbox nor is it the only one on PS4, I know how hard it is to write code that will work the first time in every situation ( mainly did hardware for Army but also did some programing ) however after playing this on PC with a friend of mine I got it on Xbox hoping to push my kids to learn more about space, lift, thrust ect but the game fell way short of my expectations however my expectations was not that high in the first place I wanted to use it to help a 9 yo boy understand some of newton's laws even though the game fall short it is much better than most other games. Anyway I am happy they have gotten approval for the Xbox patch however I would like to know exactly what fixes this patch is going to have and if it is only bug fixes don't get me wrong I am aggravated I have a game that I have 100s of hours on and barely have a game saved so I am happy they got the xbox one patch approved but I would like to know exactly what bugs it is fixing and if there is anything else with it because I got the game as soon as I could on xbox so I  have had it for some time  so the short is " Patch notes Please "

9 minutes ago, chimpbone said:

@Red Iron Crown, the patch coming out on console isn't 1.2 is it? That would be amazing, but I don't think that's the case. I think the patch is just addressing the save issue. 

The reason I was asking is because there has been so much talk about 1.2 and how good it is, and there has been no word from Squad about when 1.2 might actually come to console. 

Ah sorry, misunderstood you. I am not sure which version the console patch that's been certified is, though I doubt it is 1.2 as that isn't finalized for any platform yet.

32 minutes ago, chimpbone said:

There was a post/dev note some weeks back that described the process.

In short Squad runs their cycle of dev, QA, experimentals, (ev pre-release,) final QA, release.

Then the Mac/Linux/Windows release is handed over to Flying Tiger who ports the released (see above) version to Xbox/PS4 who then hands their builds over to MS/Sony for certification.

The just certified Xbox patch isn't related to 1.2 at all, it's a console only patch for a console only issue (and where Flying Tiger still seems to have issues on PS4).

1 hour ago, Rino said:

Hi first time on these forums I cant wait for them to fix the Xbox one KSP but to be plain spoken the save file is not the only issue the game has on Xbox nor is it the only one on PS4, I know how hard it is to write code that will work the first time in every situation ( mainly did hardware for Army but also did some programing ) however after playing this on PC with a friend of mine I got it on Xbox hoping to push my kids to learn more about space, lift, thrust ect but the game fell way short of my expectations however my expectations was not that high in the first place I wanted to use it to help a 9 yo boy understand some of newton's laws even though the game fall short it is much better than most other games. Anyway I am happy they have gotten approval for the Xbox patch however I would like to know exactly what fixes this patch is going to have and if it is only bug fixes don't get me wrong I am aggravated I have a game that I have 100s of hours on and barely have a game saved so I am happy they got the xbox one patch approved but I would like to know exactly what bugs it is fixing and if there is anything else with it because I got the game as soon as I could on xbox so I  have had it for some time  so the short is " Patch notes Please "

Unfortunately, I am fairly certain that the save issue is the only thing that is getting fixed on Xbox One with this patch. It is pretty disappointing considering we have been waiting two and a half months and it is not the only issue that needs patching. What makes it even worse is that all of this should have been patched/fixed before the game was even released on console. 

Now we are stuck in this cycle of perpetual delays. Any actual patch for console has been delayed because of the game breaking corrupted save issue. Instead of working on fixing bugs, Flying Tiger is still working on fixing the PS4 versions save/crash issue. And now 1.2 is delayed on console because Flying Tiger is still working on 1.1.3 on console, which is nowhere near finished. Ugh. 

Edited by chimpbone

Yeah I found out about the .625 m heat shield awhile ago. "Wait why are there four ablative heat shields? A .625 meter heatshield" Aweome!"

Also for some reason, I can't turn on the lights in the hitchhikers cupola. Is it a bug?

Aww what happened, Sal? Hope you recover soon! :) 

Fire

21 hours ago, Chris_2 said:

The wheels are better right now, because they are fighting the symptoms, but the fundamental problems are still there. Believe me, the devs are aware of the fact that there are phantom forces in some situations. There is no need for me to point that out to them. They are the ones who know their physics engine inside out.

I know that I for one would be most vexed if SQUAD removed all the 'phantom forces' from the game(Gravity, wheel friction, reaction wheels, drag, thrust, resistance to passing through 'solid' objects, EVA walking friction, etc.  after all, none of these exist inherently and must all be applied deliberately by the engine...) 

Whatever it is you are calling 'phantom forces' is probably just a 0.01% error between two or more forces that should balance out to zero but do not quite match up.

As computers have limited precision using the standard variable types, I expect there will always be some level of inequality that cannot be quite zeroed out. it is just a question of how many places they need to re-write the laws of physics for special cases so that the limited precision available is not obvious to those accustomed to living in a world with analog precision.(Hopefully in such a way that other parts of the laws of physics don't break)

@Terwin when you launch a simple rover onto the runway, and it immediately starts to bounce around violently and randomly, that's not a simple imbalance. Especially since you can revert to the SPH, relaunch, and have no problems at all. My professional programmer guess is that somethings not being initialized properly. If your wheels inherit bad values from somewhere, your rovers top may not be made out of rubber, but it's bottom is definitely made out of springs.

25 minutes ago, Luna Cat said:

@Terwin when you launch a simple rover onto the runway, and it immediately starts to bounce around violently and randomly, that's not a simple imbalance. Especially since you can revert to the SPH, relaunch, and have no problems at all. My professional programmer guess is that somethings not being initialized properly. If your wheels inherit bad values from somewhere, your rovers top may not be made out of rubber, but it's bottom is definitely made out of springs.

Actually, I only encountered the issue after hitting the ground after being airborne, either running off the corner of the lvl 2 launch pad or going too fast off the side off the side of the runway(without wings).

And I thought that the slowly increasing amplitude of the bounce was a good indication that it was an imbalance of expected forces(something like both the wheel and the shock-absorbers delivering the upward force of the bounce to the chassis when the shock-absorber was fully compressed for example)

I have had zero issues with wheels on aircraft, except when trying to handle a monstrous aircraft or do something extremely dumb. I can't be sure if this is because of the actual quality of the wheels, or due to my love of foreplanes.

On rovers, however, I have encountered some...complications, often taking the form of jittering followed by synchronised blowouts. This, however, has not been the case in my 1.2 Pre experience.

1 minute ago, Curveball Anders said:

I'm ashamed to acknowledge the fact that the pop-song titled 'the final countdown' was actually created by a group of swedes.

The text includes such highlights as going to venus and having so many light-years to go.

Despite the shame I have to say that we are entering the final countdown to 1.2

Does that mean if I listen to the track 5 times in a row 1.2 will manifest itself on my computer? Turning on my speakers as I type...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.