1 minute ago, steve_v said:

That looks... Awesome. No GNU/Linux port though. :(

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have no idea if such is in the works, but it might be nice to drop the dev a note to let them know you’re interested. I haven’t made it very far in the game yet myself, but I liked what I had time for.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

That looks... Awesome. No GNU/Linux port though. :(

From the FAQ:

Windows only at first. The engine is old, large and not built for cross-platform use, making native ports extremely time-consuming and unlikely. Cogmind does, however, work flawlessy under Wine and similar solutions, which many Linux/OSX players are already using to run Cogmind. (There are reports Cogmind runs more smoothly in this manner than many games ported natively!) Eventually, an official click-to-play wrapper will be provided for Mac players (such a release underwent a successful public test in December 2015), but until then you might have to wrap it yourself using the official Windows release.

(emphasis mine)

I can personally vouch for its capability to run under Wine (and its quality as a game). Wine is a bit of a pain, though, and adding your vote to the pile might provide a good incentive for Grid Sage to build a port sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

The engine is old, large and not built for cross-platform use,

If people would just write their game engines using cross-platform libraries (e.g. SDL) to begin with, ports would be a whole lot easier. Assuming one isn't using some esoteric programming language, of course.

I can personally vouch for its capability to run under Wine

This game looks good, but not so good as to break my "no native port, no purchase" rule. Wine is good, and I do use it to play some old games I have, but I'm not buying any more Windoze-only games unless they are truly awesome.

adding your vote to the pile might provide a good incentive for Grid Sage to build a port sooner rather than later

I will, but I hold little hope given the FAQ entry. Sounds like the devs made it too difficult for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Saints Row IV, again.  100%...ed it on Xbox 360 awhile back, but since it's on sale on Steam right now for $5 for the game and all the DLC, I'm playing it again.  It's so famn dun.

Great game in a great series. I 100%d all 4 of them :)

Lately I've been playing Factorio and Rimworld, due to some major updates to both.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Great game in a great series. I 100%d all 4 of them :)

I've got all 5 games for the Xbox.  I've only played 1 and 4.  Started with 4, free with gold title.  Didn't actually play it until a few months after I got it, and was immediately sucked in.

I didn't get far in 1... probably because I started with 4.  I wish I'd started at the beginning.  Given the context of 4, I'm not sure I'll be able to get into the other ones.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I've got all 5 games for the Xbox.  I've only played 1 and 4.  Started with 4, free with gold title.  Didn't actually play it until a few months after I got it, and was immediately sucked in.

I didn't get far in 1... probably because I started with 4.  I wish I'd started at the beginning.  Given the context of 4, I'm not sure I'll be able to get into the other ones.

All 5? What's the 5th one? I know there's one called Agents of Mayhem but didn't think it was in the same universe.

1 is rough. Super light on story but it drops a huge bomb right at the end, that leads into 2. 2 is much better than 1 and has some very serious moments spliced into ridiculous story points. 3 is the best of the trilogy and the most like GTA. 4 is almost a superhero game.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

What's the 5th one?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301910/Saints_Row_Gat_out_of_Hell/

Some day I'll probably power through them all.  Maybe I'll have to play them backwards to limit the "Wait, I can't do that?" moments.  I mean, AFAIK, you can't throw fire from your hand, run up walls, and fly in 1..

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301910/Saints_Row_Gat_out_of_Hell/

Some day I'll probably power through them all.  Maybe I'll have to play them backwards to limit the "Wait, I can't do that?" moments.  I mean, AFAIK, you can't throw fire from your hand, run up walls, and fly in 1..

Oh I thought that was DLC for SR3. :D

And no, you can't do pretty much anything from 4 in 1, except like walking around. You can't even buy "no fall damage" or anything with saved points. It's absolutely ghastly.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Apparently it's possible to beat Portal without moving the mouse, so naturally I decided to try it. It's a great new challenge. I bound the portal keys to left and right arrow, and I don't move the mouse at all. The only way I can change the direction I'm looking is by going through portals or standing on the occasional spinning object. I've reached chamber 15 since starting a couple of days ago.

23 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Apparently it's possible to beat Portal without moving the mouse, so naturally I decided to try it. It's a great new challenge. I bound the portal keys to left and right arrow, and I don't move the mouse at all. The only way I can change the direction I'm looking is by going through portals or standing on the occasional spinning object. I've reached chamber 15 since starting a couple of days ago.

Man, and I though the "Out Of The Blue" cheevo was tricky.

Been having a look at Pioneer, a free, open source attempt at bringing Elite 2 Frontier type games back. I'd say it is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaally early beta (playable so not alpha as far as I could tell), it has a few improvements over E2F and some new ways of doing things I''m not too enthusiastic about but then again, E2F and FFE had me playing for years and years (recently started a new career in FFE) and they did offer what I consider an overall superior gameplay over Pioneer but again, it is still developed and who knows how it will end up in the end.

Edited by LN400
more typos than you would believe