8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

@5thHorseman @0111narwhalz

I've not looked into any of the DLC's (yet).  I just bought the basic game and ran with it from there, so I can't advise you about anything having to do with that.  I can tell you that even with just the basic game, I'm out there running all manner of missions (of my choosing) earning credits and upgrading my ship... which allows me to travel farther.

Yeah I may just drop the $7. I've paid more for less. Heck I've paid more for a drink I didn't like at a bar.

EDIT:

He's done it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Subnautica's on sale for free?

Shame I don't have a computer up to the task. Seriously, an ancient i7 and Intel HD graphics :huh:

Epic games is doing a thing where the have a free game every two weeks to promote their store. The next one is Super Meat Boy, which I think has lower requirements.

22 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

@SiriusRocketry @LordFerret or anybody else, I'm looking at Elite Dangerous on Steam and it's like $7 right now, but has about 10 DLC packs that make me cringe a bit. What DLC would you consider really important and is the game worth it if you never interact with others online, or even play while connected to the Internet?

Is the base game fine on its own or is all that DLC really all that necessary?

Ten? I only know of one proper one, the Horizons Pass, which lets you land on planets and adds rovers and stuff. The rest is just cosmetics and guff IIRC.

I got Horizons plus the base game and a free cosmetics pack for NZ$ 17, down from NZ$ 70. Good deal. Do you guys have Commander names you could PM me?

PS Got Subnautica for free too. What a week for deals :)

fly safe o7

Edited by SiriusRocketry

5 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Ten? I only know of one proper one, the Horizons Pass, which lets you land on planets and adds rovers and stuff. The rest is just cosmetics and guff IIRC.

I got Horizons plus the base game and a free cosmetics pack for NZ$ 17, down from NZ$ 70. Good deal. Do you guys have Commander names you could PM me?

PS Got Subnautica for free too. What a week for deals :)

fly safe o7

I won't even PM. I'm 5th Horseman. 5thHorseman was taken. Shoot him down with abandon but don't shoot me I'm a newbie :D. I'm in solo play only for a while though while I learn the controls and man. Is there a Human Being alive who started this game cold and did NOT absolutely hate the controls and tutorial?

Frame shift drive. They meticulously tell you exactly what to do to find a target, aim, and start heading towards it. While you're sitting stopped in space with no danger around and no time limit. Then as the base is coming up on you at a healthy fraction of the speed of light, all they tell you is to exit frame shift. I guessed (and am glad I remembered) it was the same key that started it, and was told by the game I was going too fast. Then the station flew by. The message said to hit it again for an emergency exit and as I had no other option I did. I didn't blow up thankfully, but my tutor was audibly snotty about my failure. After the 4th time, I actually yelled at her out loud and I can't type here what I said. I figured out on my own that you can throttle in frame drive, though it feels a lot like that first Mun landing coming out anywhere near your target, what with dancing around throttle, the wonky mouse controls, and quickly hitting J at the exact right time even though it's a right-hand key and your right hand's on the mouse lest you pass way to the side. The cost of failure isn't death like landing a ship in KSP, but waiting for that drive to spool back up makes me yearn for quickload.

But I'm keeping with it. It is super promising and for an original Elite player (I even read the book that came with the game) it's very true to what I imagined back in the day.

Edited by 5thHorseman

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Frame shift drive.

Just recently read / learned it's an Alcubierre drive.

Yea, you toggle it on/off.  It has to charge up, be it Supercruise or Warp.  Watch your HUD bottom-center, the little indicator needle on the right, which turns blue as you throttle up/down.  Leave it in the blue range and the computer adjusts the throttle automatically on approach so you don't overrun the target.  It will tell you when you can safely drop out.  Also, on the left side of the display are two indicator bars (distance / velocity); As you approach your target, both indicators (if approaching properly) will dip into the blue simultaneously ... safe to drop out.  Having something targeted or not, you cannot be above 1c (speed) to drop out safely, emergency stops do damage.

Wait until you try fuel scooping. lol

Edit:
Oh, yea, I had issues with the keyboard layout and using the mouse as well.  I changed the whole damned thing;  I went keyboard control only, remapped all the keys so they made sense (to me), and now use the mouse for point and click menu stuff.  So now, my yaw/pitch/roll keys are almost the same as in KSP, and likewise for the thrusters.

Edited by LordFerret

A good way to match velocity and distance is to keep your ETA at around 7 seconds. If it goes down to 6, throttle down. If it goes to 5 or below, extend the distance or perform hard braking maneuvers with convenient masses if you don't want to do a loop. Once slow enough, keep around the safe dropout speed of 3Mm/s, throttling up as necessary, until you meet your target.

I've got about 650 hours in Elite: Dangerous and am Elite rank in exploration (though combat Elite is what I really want - I'm only master there).  Haven't played in awhile, but I'm just getting back into it since the 4th season was just released.  

The only add-on that I would consider essential is the Horizons expansion.  That enables surface landing and adds a lot to gameplay.

If anyone wants to add me I'm Commander Seon Hyo-Jung.  My home port is Menzies Station in Tiangchi.  It's a fairly quiet system with both Imperial and Federation factions, which helped with ranking up both at the same time.  There's also a nearby system with a compromised nav beacon for bounty hunting.

See you in the black, o7.

Edited by JetJaguar

On 12/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, JetJaguar said:

Commander Seon Hyo-Jung

I'll look for you, I'm (of course) Commander LordFerret.  I explore and play courier quite a bit, and sometimes I just pick a direction / target and go ... like recently the Coalsack and Iris.  You'll often find me yelling at bots too, especially when they fail at interdiction.  I'm tempted to add Horizons, but there's just so much I need to learn yet about the basic game.  Soon enough.

Edit 12/24
Well, I went and I saw, and then I left.  Your home system was at war.  Not exactly the warm welcome I was expecting lol.

Edited by LordFerret
Update

On 12/18/2018 at 2:58 PM, Bigmans said:

Apart from KSP (I'm always playing that haha)

*looks at own 1.3 set-up with a hundred mods that hadn’t been properly confugured*

:mad:

On 12/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, LordFerret said:

Not exactly the warm welcome I was expecting lol.

It was a hot welcome.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:11 AM, LordFerret said:

I've been playing Elite Dangerous long enough now that it's become frustrating, in that a key-bindable part mentioned in the Wiki and game documentation can't be found anywhere in the many configuration settings.  grrrrr

You think you’ve got problems?

Try being an order-obsessed freak and having to learn to build cities on a hexagonal grid.

EAEB5EF1711FE80AC2AFACDB5F2F377FB07074EB

Edited by DDE

I've been playing Stellaris a lot. 2.2 is pretty great, but it can be slow. Luckily, the devs said they'll be taking time to balance/fix everything before moving on to the next expansion. I got the Megacorp and Synthetic dawn DLC's for Christmas, and I already had Utopia, Leviathan's, and Distant stars. So all that's left is Apocalypse (And the cosmetic DLC's, which I'm not really interested in right now), which I'll get some other time.

My empires are almost exclusively Materialist (For the tech) or Spiritualist (For the psionics), and in my current game, I rolled a psychic leader (As a materialist empire) for society (After an event where the space gamblers - can't spell their actual name - gave me some pops with the psionic trait), and not ONCE did the psionic tech roll before they ended up dying, so now I have a physics leader with the psychic trait in society, hopefully I'm luckier :D

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

2.2 is pretty great, but it can be slow.

That doesn’t quite describe it. Apparently the AI can be absolutely imbecilic. As an absolute rookie I’ve managed to play a Slow Breeder Fanatic Materialist Technocratic Dictatorship wide and still reduce every other power in the galaxy to Pathetic by 2360 without a fight (except conquer the poor sods with the Life-Seeded trait that spawned next to me).

I’m planning to play as an actual trade league next. And when they fix the robots after NYE...

4396756.jpg?nocache=319716

38 minutes ago, DDE said:

That doesn’t quite describe it. Apparently the AI can be absolutely imbecilic. As an absolute rookie I’ve managed to play a Slow Breeder Fanatic Materialist Technocratic Dictatorship wide and still reduce every other power in the galaxy to Pathetic by 2360 without a fight (except conquer the poor sods with the Life-Seeded trait that spawned next to me).

I’m planning to play as an actual trade league next. And when they fix the robots after NYE...

Yeah, I've seen that with other players, and some of my games. But I guess I'm still learning, because the AI is still equivalent to me in the late 2200's in economy/fleet. In my experience, it seems the AI is okay/good in the early game, but drops off after that, with nothing being a challenge until the late game crisis. Since I don't really worry about wars, and I mostly keep to myself; (imbecile) AI's aren't a concern for me, but I hope the devs fix that next so they can be.