I've been playing a bit of the latest Civ VI expansion (Gathering Dust? Wandering Storm? Something like that.) The "world congress" mechanic is almost as unplayably terrible as it was in Civ V, but the disaster mechanics are quite nice. Not sure I'll ever play Civ VI again once I'm done with my current playthrough though. Game just isn't all that interesting to me.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, bootsam said:

I used to play fps shooters, but Im now too old and the games are way too fast for me

I feel your pain, and got to that point when I was about 30. Every now and then I look longingly at Halo CE or Halo 3, but.... I just can't do that anymore. 

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I feel your pain, and got to that point when I was about 30. Every now and then I look longingly at Halo CE or Halo 3, but.... I just can't do that anymore.

I'm 32 and I still quite enjoy FPS games.  I'm counting the unknown amount of days until The Master Chief Collection comes to Steam (and that they don't write it to deliberately break Proton), as well as the Steam release for Borderlands 3 (Which I might consider getting first on Epic, except for their "Real gamers run Windows like good little conformists" attitude).  I just don't play them much because I have nobody to play them with.

What I outgrew was the matchmaking.  I have zero desire to play any FPS game, or any game at all, really, with people I don't know.  This huge push in the gaming industry for online/matchmaking only with strangers is the biggest turn off to video games ever.  I can't tell you have beyond annoyed I was when I got Halo 5 and discovered that literally the only way to play with another person was with two boxes, two copies of the game, and two gold subscriptions.

16 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I have zero desire to play any FPS game, or any game at all, really, with people I don't know.

What, you don't want to play with some twelve-year-old wheezers that utter prodigious Shakespearian insults like

Villain, I have done thy mother!

:sticktongue:

Half Life the first, Half Life: Bad guy force expansion, and Half Life: Colour shift to Blue expansion

Spoiler

Half Life Half Life: Opposing Force, and Half Life: Blue Shift if you couldn't somehow figure it out hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I posted here earlier about playing Final Fantasy VIII after having started another session for like the sixth time in the 15 years I have it.
Yesterday I finally completed it!
I think a big factor in the completion this time is the fact that I have the game installed on my PSP. This way I could play it everywhere, take every little opportunity I could spare. And I did, on the couch, in bed, on the toilet...
It feels better than any other game I've finished, maybe because of all the quits and restarts. I slayed that personal demon by slaying a virtual one.

Factorio Friday Facts 311 mentions Industrial Revolution mod, so apparently I have no choice but to start a new game.

Almost two hours later and I have what appears to be a rudimentary copper smelting array.

It seems like it's gonna take some time to launch a rocket.

• 2 months later...

For as long as I can remember I have lived for grand strategy games. When I was young I would spend hours drawing fictitious continents and "plotting" my campaign for ultimate conquest. Each "battle" would be simulated on a separate sheet of paper with imaginative terrain and all units accurately represented. Then today, I found this on steam:

medievaltotalwar-77e1e.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

It's just like I drew it up, only better. :D

Halo: Reach came to Steam yesterday.

So, that.  I may have to knock it up a notch.  I always played on Heroic on my Xbox, but now that I'm using a keyboard/mouse, it almost seems... easy.  I might have to start playing on Legendary.  I guess using a controller really has been holding me back all this time.

• 3 weeks later...