On 11/29/2019 at 10:44 PM, Mr. Peabody said:

For as long as I can remember I have lived for grand strategy games. When I was young I would spend hours drawing fictitious continents and "plotting" my campaign for ultimate conquest. Each "battle" would be simulated on a separate sheet of paper with imaginative terrain and all units accurately represented. Then today, I found this on steam:

medievaltotalwar-77e1e.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

It's just like I drew it up, only better. :D

Ooh - might have to look at getting that now that I’ve got a machine that’ll run it. Loved the first one.

I'm slowly getting to the point in Oxygen Not Included where I'm actually caring about the longevity of a colony.  Up until now it's just been a throwaway thing to do for an hour or so.

If you like games where you have to establish infrastructure, you'd like this one.

20 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

So much Factorio. I played 400 hours in one month in addition to having a job. Sleep is irrelevant.

The factory must grow. All else is secondary. How's your iron? Always lacking?

OT; I got back to Banished, after a period of not playing it. I started a new map, failed miserably, then another one and reached 200 population. So I decided to spice things up a bit and installed Colonial Charter. Now I'm at around 35 population, have stable food and housing situation. I'll need to work on long term sustainability, and will have to figure out all the new buildings. There are so many. Same with resources. So many new things to learn.

22 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

So much Factorio. I played 400 hours in one month in addition to having a job. Sleep is irrelevant.

I too have gotten back into Factorio. I played a bit when 0.17 came out and now that it's almost complete I got the urge again. I just got yellow science and am about to start pummeling biters with mortars.

As usual I have a list a mile long of things yet to do, and there's always at least one critical shortage to deal with, and I'm loving every minute of it.

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

The factory must grow. All else is secondary. How's your iron? Always lacking?

Copper, strangely. And I'm on infinite tech and launching rockets. I think my slightly larger than standard lakes ate a few copper deposits. I've got more iron than I know what to do with, and the only copper that isn't almost tapped out is deep in Biter territory. Evo is 99%+ Good times :)

20 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I too have gotten back into Factorio. I played a bit when 0.17 came out and now that it's almost complete I got the urge again. I just got yellow science and am about to start pummeling biters with mortars.

As usual I have a list a mile long of things yet to do, and there's always at least one critical shortage to deal with, and I'm loving every minute of it.

:DI'm so burnt out from marathoning I don't even want to look at it except to play with circuits and slaughter a few thousand Biters face-to-face. I've been fine-tuning airplanes in KSP to relax.

30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

E: Another question would be, Space Engine or Universe Sandbox 2?

Space Engine is really nice in VR if you've got the system for it. I find it really relaxing to fly around in desktop mode too.

SE is a planetarium, US2 is a physics engine. Both are great. US2 is probably a little less computationally demanding and has a wide variety of stuff to do. Space Engine is great if you have a system that can display it in high detail, but if you have a lower power system you'll probably get more out of US2. 

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Okay, so I'm ready to bite the Factorio bug. Of course it's not on sale at this very moment. Does it go on steam sale often, and by how much?

E: Another question would be, Space Engine or Universe Sandbox 2?

The Factorio devs don’t believe in sales. It’s always the same price. The value per dollar is darn good though. Try the demo, it convinced me to play. I put about 20 hrs into it before I made my decision. Fair warning, it’s one of the worst drugs you will ever take. ;)

Now this is a tricky question. If we are going to call all previous editions of KSP (in other words, those which are not 1.8), then my list gets one entry longer:

• Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 (non-Steam)
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Civilization V
  • Civilization VI (long enough to know I do not like it as well as Civ V)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Machinsky

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Now this is a tricky question. If we are going to call all previous editions of KSP (in other words, those which are not 1.8), then my list gets one entry longer:

• Kerbal Space Program 1.3.0 (non-Steam)
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Civilization V
  • Civilization VI (long enough to know I do not like it as well as Civ V)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Machinsky

Civ 5 gang! I don't really play all that much anymore, if you want something a bit more challenging tray some paradox games; My favorite is hearts of iron.

I have been playing pokemon sword and super smash bros.

Edited by Lapis

5 hours ago, Lapis said:

Civ 5 gang! I don't really play all that much anymore, if you want something a bit more challenging tray some paradox games; My favorite is hearts of iron.

I have been playing pokemon sword and super smash bros.

I've seen Hearts of Iron, but decided not to get it. I bought Stelaris a few months ago and eek! Reminds me too much of a lot of games I already have in my library. I thought about Crusader Kings II, but after playing for free earlier today, it's a lot like Civilization.

So after buying Factorio on the 26th, I've logged 26 hours at it in two days. Id say i'm hooked. My wife feels like a Factorio widow, and has been commiserating with the Desperate Housewives of Hysteria Wisteria Lane in rerun heaven in the meantime.

I think I'm going to pay for my indulgence with housework today....

• 2 weeks later...

150 hours into Factorio since Dec 26th. Today as I was going through checkout at a major retailer, I didn't have any bags, so I was just putting stuff back in the cart. As the clerk scanned the items and put them down, I picked it up, transferred into the other hand and into the cart. For those few moments I was feeling like an inserter machine from the game....