On 3/28/2020 at 12:43 PM, XLjedi said:

Tharsis

It's an interesting little dice-roller game that is currently on sale for $1.49 on Steam; so thought I'd give it a shot.

I like it...  and your ship looks like something that was assembled by Kerbals.  I may actually try to build something similar in KSP now!

That looks interesting, going to have to give that a look.

I've been slacking on KSP lately.  Been playing SWTOR some, plus a few games I've found on Steam:  Titan Outpost, Astroneer, and ATOM RPG.  Titan Outpost is pretty cool, but I keep running into walls to accomplish anything (like a resource you need to upgrade your base power plant can be found at a nearby cryovolcano, but the only thing I find there is a chunk of ice that I can't use for anything).  Astroneer is like a cartoon version of No Man's Sky, but its not keeping my attention.   ATOM RPG is like the Russian version of Fallout 1 and has been pretty fun so far although I find the controls a little clunky sometimes.

20 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

That looks interesting, going to have to give that a look.

I've been slacking on KSP lately.  Been playing SWTOR some, plus a few games I've found on Steam:  Titan Outpost, Astroneer, and ATOM RPG.  Titan Outpost is pretty cool, but I keep running into walls to accomplish anything (like a resource you need to upgrade your base power plant can be found at a nearby cryovolcano, but the only thing I find there is a chunk of ice that I can't use for anything).  Astroneer is like a cartoon version of No Man's Sky, but its not keeping my attention.   ATOM RPG is like the Russian version of Fallout 1 and has been pretty fun so far although I find the controls a little clunky sometimes.

I played SWTOR online for like a couple years...  I got tired of having to retool, retrain, and relearn my characters everytime they decided to do a major update.  I think after the third or fourth round they nerfed one of my son's favorite PvP characters and it just made him walk away.  It was sad.

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

I played SWTOR online for like a couple years...  I got tired of having to retool, retrain, and relearn my characters everytime they decided to do a major update.  I think after the third or fourth round they nerfed one of my son's favorite PvP characters and it just made him walk away.  It was sad.

I enjoyed Star Wars: Galaxies but when it closed & SWTOR came out, it didn't impress me.   Fast forward to January, and I was getting a little tired of just KSP, and missed playing an MMO since Wildstar shut down so I got SWTOR.  I'm enjoying it, but it mostly feels like a single player game that happens to have other people running around.  Not even finished leveling, so having to redo everything hasn't been a problem yet, but I can see they've done it a bunch in the past.  One gripe - and I should've actually checked first rather than assume - I picked a European server because I work 2nd shift and most other MMO's I've played used different maintenance times for their European servers instead of ~9 - 11am EST, which wipes all my game time for a day.  Unfortunately, SWTOR uses the same down time for all servers, so I still lose a day when they do maintenance.

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

One gripe - and I should've actually checked first rather than assume - I picked a European server because I work 2nd shift and most other MMO's I've played used different maintenance times for their European servers instead of ~9 - 11am EST, which wipes all my game time for a day.  Unfortunately, SWTOR uses the same down time for all servers, so I still lose a day when they do maintenance.

Do they not allow server transfers?  I recall a time when they merged servers and I thought there was some ability to transfer, but can't remember.

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

Do they not allow server transfers?  I recall a time when they merged servers and I thought there was some ability to transfer, but can't remember.

They do, but it costs money and its not causing me any actual problems, so it's not worth it.

On a whim I reinstalled Portal and played through it yesterday. I then reinstalled Portal 2 and am doing the same. I'm just to the beginning of the "Cave Johnson" levels and I'm looking forward to J.K. Simmons' voice-overs.

Steam says I've not played either since 2012 and that sounds about right. So the last time I played them, I didn't even know Kerbal Space Program existed.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I saw something else that looked interesting on Steam yesterday, Rover Mechanic Simulator.  They had a free demo, so I downloaded that and played a few minutes this morning.  I need to play more before I decide to buy - it could end up being tedious or fun.   I'm about 50/50 right now.  The tedious part was removing and reinstalling every single screw holding one of Sojourner's wheels on, one at a time.  I've done enough of that in the real world, I'm not particularly enthused doing it in a game too - although at least in the game, the screw heads don't strip out.  The taking things apart, troubleshooting the problem & fixing it, that promises to be much more interesting.  Granted, I do that in the real world too, but that if much more interesting.

The first contract was just a tutorial and was very simple, replacing a single damaged wheel. The demo only allows you to work on Sojourner, but there are at least 3 other repair contracts after the tutorial contract.  I'd like to see how the later contracts are before buying. 

Just now, Cavscout74 said:

I saw something else that looked interesting on Steam yesterday, Rover Mechanic Simulator.  They had a free demo, so I downloaded that and played a few minutes this morning.  I need to play more before I decide to buy - it could end up being tedious or fun.   I'm about 50/50 right now.  The tedious part was removing and reinstalling every single screw holding one of Sojourner's wheels on, one at a time.  I've done enough of that in the real world, I'm not particularly enthused doing it in a game too - although at least in the game, the screw heads don't strip out.  The taking things apart, troubleshooting the problem & fixing it, that promises to be much more interesting.  Granted, I do that in the real world too, but that if much more interesting.

The first contract was just a tutorial and was very simple, replacing a single damaged wheel. The demo only allows you to work on Sojourner, but there are at least 3 other repair contracts after the tutorial contract.  I'd like to see how the later contracts are before buying. 

I like Mechanic Simulator 2015...  and have the latest 2018 version on my Steam Wishlist to pickup the next time it goes on the cheap.

I've seen that they have since spun-off a number of "Mechanic Simulator" related titles:  Semi-Truck, Aircraft, Tank, and now Rover

What makes the original (Auto) Mechanic Simulator fun to me are two elements that the other titles will just completely miss.

1. I wanted to actually learn some basic auto mechanics from the game to apply to my own vehicles/repair work.  Believe it or not, this game actually taught me a lot!  I even repaired a big part on my Dodge hemi engine (the water pump) which prior to this game I would never even attempt!  So learning about all the parts in the engine allowed me to pickup a digital code reader and self-diagnose most engine issues I have and I know stuff like, "Oh that part is on the outside of the engine and is just a few bolts to remove."  I also replace my own brakes and rotors now.  
  2. As for gaming, I was having some fun in the 2015 version playing a very shady mechanic!  I had a nice 69 Camero that I was working on restoring, and I would deliberately take jobs to do things like replace brake pads on cars with parts that would fit on my rusted out Camero.  So I was removing the newer parts from these jobs and swapping them out with my rusted junk.  LOL!  Boosting the value of my "restoration" project for sale at auction. 

I don't see where either of the two things I mention above would be applicable in the other titles, so they are of very little interest to me.  ...now when I drive by that local gas station with a bunch of restoration jobs parked around their service garage, I'm like, "Ain't no dam way I'm leaving my car here overnight for a brake job!"  LOL!!!

29 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

I like Mechanic Simulator 2015...  and have the latest 2018 version on my Steam Wishlist to pickup the next time it goes on the cheap.

I've seen that they have since spun-off a number of "Mechanic Simulator" related titles:  Semi-Truck, Aircraft, Tank, and now Rover

What makes the original (Auto) Mechanic Simulator fun to me are two elements that the other titles will just completely miss.

1. I wanted to actually learn some basic auto mechanics from the game to apply to my own vehicles/repair work.  Believe it or not, this game actually taught me a lot!  I even repaired a big part on my Dodge hemi engine (the water pump) which prior to this game I would never even attempt!  So learning about all the parts in the engine allowed me to pickup a digital code reader and self-diagnose most engine issues I have and I know stuff like, "Oh that part is on the outside of the engine and is just a few bolts to remove."  I also replace my own brakes and rotors now.  
  2. As for gaming, I was having some fun in the 2015 version playing a very shady mechanic!  I had a nice 69 Camero that I was working on restoring, and I would deliberately take jobs to do things like replace brake pads on cars with parts that would fit on my rusted out Camero.  So I was removing the newer parts from these jobs and swapping them out with my rusted junk.  LOL!  Boosting the value of my "restoration" project for sale at auction. 

I don't see where either of the two things I mention above would be applicable in the other titles, so they are of very little interest to me.  ...now when I drive by that local gas station with a bunch of restoration jobs parked around their service garage, I'm like, "Ain't no dam way I'm leaving my car here overnight for a brake job!"  LOL!!!

I saw links to their auto mechanic simulator, but didn't notice the others.  I'm definitely going to have to look for Aircraft Mechanic Simulator now, since that is what I do for a living.  Tank mechanic may be interesting as well - I did a fair amount of work on APC's and engineer vehicles (most of which were old tanks) in the army.  Not as a mechanic, but the military has a pretty wide definition of what is "operator level" maintenance.  As in, if it didn't require a crane or special tooling, it was the operator's problem, not the mechanic's.

I'm not surprised you can learn from the games as long as they are done well.   I would love an accurate computer model of my aircraft to look at before going out to actually work on it.   Even more so now that I work in our maintenance control office, and I'm trying to help our line techs troubleshoot a problem over the phone when all I have to look at is a schematic and a picture in the parts catalogue.

Update:   Darn you, @XLjedi, now my Steam wishlist is longer than ever.  In addition to cars, planes and tanks, there is also a Train mechanic sim as well. 

Edited by Cavscout74

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Update:   Darn you, @XLjedi, now my Steam wishlist is longer than ever.  In addition to cars, planes and tanks, there is also a Train mechanic sim as well. 

Well, I went to see if auto mechanic was on sale (it's not)...  and then I saw they had "Demolish & Build 2018" for a freakin' dollar!  :o

How can I not buy that?  :D

I also may have heard rumor of a roller coaster mechanic... you should probably ignore that, purely rumor.

Edited by XLjedi

I'm replaying Half Life 2 after going through Alyx. But when I get to Episode 2, I'm definitely doing a Gnome Run.

(For those that don't know, there is a little garden gnome in the first level and you have to carry it with you all the way to the end of the game and launch it into space.)

I haven't been playing so much KSP recently because a couple of days ago I finally decided to download Star Trek Online. My computer only has an integrated graphics chip, so I have to run on 90s graphics, but it's going fine. I'm still getting used to the controls and how to play in general, but I'm having fun. Space combat is hard but especially satisfying when you win.

So I've tried Bannerlord.

And I'm lost once the training wheels of the tutorial are lost. I mean, you have to have one copy of the sword for your battle kit and another for your civilian city dress. And the weapon sometimes given to you by default is not allowed with the civilian dress, but is stuck there anyway. And then there's the tutorial leading you to believe that cavalry is plentiful. How the heck am I supposed to use a cavalry-focused protagonist if everyone else follows them on foot?

I'm gonna make a merchant character instead...

Back to Factorio, I installed Diggy scenario*, which pretty much forced me to rethink the whole MOAR idea of Factorio. I decided to go in blind, just default settings, not checking the map preview. I ended up on map that had endless copper, but iron only in trace amounts. By the time I got to Oil, I managed to find just 18k of iron. Usually that's the amount I have before I finish my first smelting array. I ended up having to stop the research to make ammo and steel iron chests to store all the excess coal and copper (ores are usually mixed up, can't mine just what you want). Thankfully I just found a nice 200k iron vein, so I can push towards the robots, and do some military science.

*You're underground and explore map by digging through the rocks, which cover 100% of the map. There are no classic ore patches, instead ore is spread out much more. You don't know where is ore until you stumble upon it and as you dig through the rocks. The thing is, occasionally biters jump out of the mined rocks and want to eat you. Also you need to place wall supports every few blocks to prevent cave-ins, so all your blueprints are useless since you need to work around those supports.

I tried this game (it was $3.00):

bf1f47739ba3376b4e7525456d65f21785d94312

It was terrible. Don't bother. It's complete trash. One of the normal actions in the game is to use a urinal. I kid you not.

I want my $3 back.

PSA:

C# Aurora has been released!

If you've been waiting for the last several years for it to drop, the wait is (almost) over. Steve says that there are a few bugs that need fixing, with a hotfix coming tomorrow, but if you're itchy, the 1.00 is out and available at http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10635.0

Be warned that this first hotfix will break the game, so you may want to wait just a little bit more. More fixes to come in the following days.

It's getting late here, so no space domination for me today, but tomorrow most likely.

Since Steve is a top bloke, the game is free, just don't expect AAA graphics. The game is a spreadsheet.

I redeemed a Windows Minecraft code from my Java Minecraft account, installed both versions of Minecraft, spent way too long exporting and importing my old skin into the new version, and then tested out the game for the first time in maybe 6 years.

All because my nephew mentioned it might be fun to play together.

#UncleLife

Edited by Superfluous J

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a list:

Minecraft survival with my IRL friends,  In the process of endbusting. I’ve been breaking the Nether roof to connect the server infrastructure since there are other people too. The end is filled with soooo muchhhh wattterrrrrrrr!

Touhou 12 UFO, 1CC’d on easy, screamed in triumph, then screamed in agony when I hit the realization that you have to 1CC normal to unlock extra stage. I absolutely detest the Undefined Fantastic Object system, and you need to milk it for all it’s worth to get lives. I promptly ragequit during my 1CC of normal because stage 5 is utter BS (excuse my Kerbese). Funny that I say that, regarding the post I made yesterday morning, I didn’t even get to Mrs. curvy lasers.

Kerbal space program, because I got back into it last week. (Just letting you know)

Dan Ball’s Stick Ranger, a highly underrated Java game that you can play on a browser or on a free app. I beat it legit last weekend after having to cheat a year previous because I was liquided that I lost my save data (my fault). The final boss is a brutal menace to fight unless you have the most powerful gear, which then it’s a joke so you can reap his loot.

Edited by Fraston

So as many others Minecraft.

I'm pretty advanced when it comes to progression, I already killed the ender dragon and gotten the Elytra, and I have a really nice base set up (ugly but it for now it does it job well) It's probably the biggest thing I build on minecraft survival to be honest. Currently it's a wooden cube with 3 floors the first one being the enchanting/brewing/crafting room the floor below being the storage room and the final one being an underground farm. Oh and I'm currently adding a farming section(I got a sugar cane farm and it's working quite nicely, it's literary the only thing I have ever done with redstone)

Apart from that I managed to get a Triden!(this all on Java so you might already now that they are rare...Looting II on my sword worked nicely thought)

And for now that's all my progress I'm still waiting for the nether update (I did some checks and it seems that my nether entrance is located at a Basalt delta so I get a lot of good blocks!)

My current objective now is to get a beacon but the thing is that I'm REALLY far from fortresses in the nether and I'm lazzy, and I don't know my aproach for when I fight it (probably going to encase it in obsidian and hope for the best), and I still need to find a place were i will be confortable spawning it (probably a couple of thousand block from my home because if I fail I don't really want to be exploring a year from now and sudenly have a wither blast me)

For building plans well I'm really looking into making a replica of Treasure town from PMD Explorers of the Sky, It shouldn't be hard since the in-game thing isn't to complex, I'l probably build it in a mesa biome since in some official art it looks like there are a few mesas and forests.

And perhaps in a feature I'l build temporal tower too Idk