I've made a lot of progress on my KSP career over the last couple of months, with  lot of work in the Jool system (planted some surface science gear beside the Tylo cave, which I located on Kerbnet. Now I have a tourist about to arrive at Jool for a grand tour and.... Nope, the thought of all that trajectory planning just burns me out. Time to buy the X-wing bundle on Steam and  dust off my HOTAS

• 2 weeks later...

Portal 2. Just lots of Portal 2. SO MUCH PORTAL 2. I love Portal 2. Anyone who doesn’t clearly doesn’t appreciate 

good puzzle games

gripping and great story 

interesting gameplay mechanics (portals and gel) that keep you thinking

robots

funny stuff to go along with the dark stuff 

VERY A LOT OF AMAZING SONgs

Edited by HansonKerman
YES MANY

I've been playing Portal. I figured out a way to bypass one of the fizzlers in the escape section, meaning I can bring almost all the objects from the last three maps into the end of the game. All the bean cans and all the barrels and all the broken turrets are coming with me to the cake room.

And I learned a few tricks to help me beat the game in under 20 minutes.

I got hooked on Dead Cells even though it's pretty far outside my normal enjoyment. But it's so fun!

I also tried the demo for - and then immediately bought for $4, Shapez.io which I've been describing to people as "Factorio lite" or "If you want to play Factorio but don't want to play Factorio."

http://shapez.io

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I've been playing Portal.

10 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Portal 2. ... I love Portal 2.

I'm usually not one for scripted games that play the same every time you go through them.

But these two are just so damn good that I can enjoy them repeatedly.  The puzzle aspect, plus the writing, just makes them worth playing again every so often.

4 minutes ago, razark said:

I'm usually not one for scripted games that play the same every time you go through them.

But these two are just so damn good that I can enjoy them repeatedly.  The puzzle aspect, plus the writing, just makes them worth playing again every so often.

Portal 2 is a perfectly written game. Every character, the story of GLaDOS and the emotion in her voice that gradually changes over the story, Cave Johnson and his lemons, and of course the ending...

Then there's the fact that these happen in a forgotten corner of the world in Half-Life, with the first game happening sometime after the experiment gone wrong at Black Mesa and the portals bringing headcrabs, Vortigaunts, barnacles and the like to the world, and around the time the formidable Combine seize governance of human life. I like to think that maybe Chell wakes up in Portal 1 during the Seven-Hour War...

Portal 1 also is fun because it's easy to bug out and glitch all kinds of stuff, and it's easy to speedrun.

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Then there's the fact that these happen in a forgotten corner of the world in Half-Life, with the first game happening sometime after the experiment gone wrong at Black Mesa and the portals bringing headcrabs, Vortigaunts, barnacles and the like to the world, and around the time the formidable Combine seize governance of human life. I like to think that maybe Chell wakes up in Portal 1 during the Seven-Hour War...

Honestly, I have no idea what any of this means.  (I really don't follow a lot of games. KSP, Portal/2, FSX, Silent Hunter 4, and Civ3 make up the vast majority of my gaming, unless you want to count Freecell and Tetris, over the last 1.5 decades.  I vaguely remember something about checking papers at a border, though...)

But, Portal (and P2) is so well done, that it doesn't matter what larger world it exists in.  It's so well done that it can exist in whatever world it wants, and that doesn't matter.

12 hours ago, razark said:

The interesting thing about Portal 2 imo is that it has so many lines. You have a large amount of time in  Wheatley’s “lair” to wait and let him talk (one of my favorite lines is him actually hacking the reactor core files and deleting the emergency manual), time with the stalemate button and escape elevator to listen, etc. not to mention the oracle. Plus, Portal 2 has more Rattmann rooms than Portal (though in Portal, there are tips scrawled by him), especially in test chambers imo.

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

Long story short, the alien invasion is happening outside while GLaDOS is taunting you with cake.

11 hours ago, razark said:

Honestly, I have no idea what any of this means.  (I really don't follow a lot of games. KSP, Portal/2, FSX, Silent Hunter 4, and Civ3 make up the vast majority of my gaming, unless you want to count Freecell and Tetris, over the last 1.5 decades.  I vaguely remember something about checking papers at a border, though...)

But, Portal (and P2) is so well done, that it doesn't matter what larger world it exists in.  It's so well done that it can exist in whatever world it wants, and that doesn't matter.

I don’t follow Half-Life, I don’t like Half-Life, I only like it for the plot and have never bought a single game in the series excepting the Portal ones. razark is right, they’re such good games that they can exist whenever they want. Cave Johnson provides enough backstory for me. But cubinator has provided the best explanation ever lmao. That is pretty much it.

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

Portal 2 is a perfectly written game. Every character, the story of GLaDOS and the emotion in her voice that gradually changes over the story, Cave Johnson and his lemons, and of course the ending...

Portal 1 also is fun because it's easy to bug out and glitch all kinds of stuff, and it's easy to speedrun.

FRICK I almost forgot this quote. I enjoy thinking that Portal 2 happens around the said 50,000 years after Half Life and Portal (HL takes place in 2003~ and Portal is between the two games. Time doesn’t matter on a millennium scale). I never thought about waking up during the 7 hour war but I can’t get that out of my head. What if she solved the chambers as it ended and the destruction scene happens at the surrender? Whatever.  Portal 2 is perfect for all the reasons you gave, Portal is interesting because I like it a lot after extensively forcing myself to play it. The portal-related graphics (portal gun, portals, portals failing, PORTALS ON A FIZZLER HAVE A DIFFERENT TEXTURE HOLY FRICK, portals traveling (I really like the projectile)) are better imo, and it’s interesting to see this great game that was actually just completely ripped from Half Life 2. Plus it’s buggy. The other day I was just mashing all the function keys to wait out the loading scenes and it teleported me to chamber 15 at the pellet emitter with every weapon. Anyway-

the Portal games are great

im gonna eat my breakfast now

13 hours ago, cubinator said:

I've been playing Portal. I figured out a way to bypass one of the fizzlers in the escape section, meaning I can bring almost all the objects from the last three maps into the end of the game. All the bean cans and all the barrels and all the broken turrets are coming with me to the cake room.

And I learned a few tricks to help me beat the game in under 20 minutes.

The fact that people like a big Rubik’s cube in space can glitch the game like this says something about HL2 and Portal doesn’t it

14 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

The fact that people like a big Rubik’s cube in space can glitch the game like this says something about HL2 and Portal doesn’t it

bind mwheelup +jump
bind mwheeldown +jump

go fast

There's just one other fizzler preventing me from bringing everything from the entire escape section.

9 minutes ago, cubinator said:

bind mwheelup +jump
bind mwheeldown +jump

go fast

There's just one other fizzler preventing me from bringing everything from the entire escape section.

it’s all gibberish to me! If I figure out what this post says I will definitely try this. I’m playing Portal (unfortunately) for the first time (moar or less, timing puzzles are brutal to my slow hands). I’m right in the middle of the escape section.

29 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

it’s all gibberish to me! If I figure out what this post says I will definitely try this. I’m playing Portal (unfortunately) for the first time (moar or less, timing puzzles are brutal to my slow hands). I’m right in the middle of the escape section.

It's a little trick called Accelerated Back-Hopping, or ABH. It requires you to spam the jump button, so the best way to do it is to bind the mousewheel to jump in the command console. It works best if you jump forwards, then turn around to face backwards, crouch in midair, let go of the forward and backward keys, and spam jump.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

It's a little trick called Accelerated Back-Hopping, or ABH. It requires you to spam the jump button, so the best way to do it is to bind the mousewheel to jump in the command console. It works best if you jump forwards, then turn around to face backwards, crouch in midair, let go of the forward and backward keys, and spam jump.

that’s the kind of coordination I don’t have.

I'm back on Stormworks now...

Working on a build of the Nautilus.  I do enjoy the more detailed building of engine systems, interiors, doors, control panels, fuel tanks, pumps, etc.   Since we have pipes, pumps, flow valves, etc.  You can build submarines with working ballast tanks.

If you haven't heard of it before, Stormworks is definitely worth a look!  You don't just add jet engines in this game...  you put together the 5 or 6 parts in the configuration you need for the type of jet you want for your craft.  So you can have rotating vectored exhaust for VTOL or straight exhaust system for conventional jets.  They have treads and skis for snow vehicles so tanks and snowmobiles are a thing.  You can program HUD displays.  

For my sub I plan on having a map room with a functional GPS system, that plots radar and sonar contacts on a moving map display.  I'm also working on a pipe organ for Nemo, that will play Bach's music when you walk into the parlor area.  Once I finish the sub, I may transform one of the island submarine bases into Volcania Island.  They have a Megaladon that will attack your ships... but I may have to post a request for a Giant Squid now.

Spoiler

Nautilus1.jpg

Nautilus2.jpg

Nautilus3.jpg

Nautilus4.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, XLjedi said:

I'm back on Stormworks now..

Ok, just get out of my head.  I've had that on my wishlist for a while now, just haven't gotten around to buying it.  I thought it looked interesting, and your post just makes it me want to bump it up near the top of the wishlist

@XLjedi Ok, after seeing your Nautilus, I broke down & bought Stormworks.  I've messed with it a little bit and now I need something to fix my brain now that it exploded  You're putting together a working Nautilus and I'm failing to put together a basic 4-wheeled buggy to drive around the base.  I have an engine, fuel, radiator, intake & exhaust.  Pipes to the front wheels from the power output.  Battery installed next to it, drivers seat, throttle & pushbutton switch to start the engine and.... nothing.  I have warning flags where I can't connect things, and things that are connected (I think) that don't respond (throttle & pushbutton).   Oh, the steering works, but backwards.  Nothing else functions.  I need to find a better tutorial video, cause everything I've seen so far either blows through the areas I need help too fast to follow or don't show it at all

43 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

@XLjedi Ok, after seeing your Nautilus, I broke down & bought Stormworks.  I've messed with it a little bit and now I need something to fix my brain now that it exploded  You're putting together a working Nautilus and I'm failing to put together a basic 4-wheeled buggy to drive around the base.  I have an engine, fuel, radiator, intake & exhaust.  Pipes to the front wheels from the power output.  Battery installed next to it, drivers seat, throttle & pushbutton switch to start the engine and.... nothing.  I have warning flags where I can't connect things, and things that are connected (I think) that don't respond (throttle & pushbutton).   Oh, the steering works, but backwards.  Nothing else functions.  I need to find a better tutorial video, cause everything I've seen so far either blows through the areas I need help too fast to follow or don't show it at all

I'd start with a nice little boat. 

I have an old Guide that I posted for an advanced boat that I build about a year or two ago... Just look me up on steam or search the Guide area for my "Applied Advanced Tech Design Theory" guide and the Jupiter Sport starter boat.  I also have links to a half-dozen or so microcontrollers I built for it that you might find interesting.

There have been so many updates, I'm not even sure if the boat runs.  BUT, a lot of the fundamental things I talk about in that guide are still very relevant.  Electrical wiring, basic engine configuration, and a number of very useful microcontrollers.

Also, look for youtube tutorials by Mr. NJersey.

I've been trying to knock out one or two systems a day on the Nautilus.  Now that I have an airtight hull, the next task was to create a way to enter the thing.  So the dive chamber was completed yesterday with auto lockout features and a pump system that activates automatically when water is detected in the chamber.

Today, it's going to be the forward Bow Thruster Engine Room and associated microcontrollers for 6-DOF throttle control.  I have at least another dozen systems on the drawing board.  It's going to be a work in progress for quite a while.

Edited by XLjedi

19 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I have an old Guide that I posted for an advanced boat that I build about a year or two ago... Just look me up on steam or search the Guide area for my "Applied Advanced Tech Design Theory" guide and the Jupiter Sport starter boat.  I also have links to a half-dozen or so microcontrollers I built for it that you might find interesting.

There have been so many updates, I'm not even sure if the boat runs.  BUT, a lot of the fundamental things I talk about in that guide are still very relevant.  Electrical wiring, basic engine configuration, and a number of very useful microcontrollers.

Also, look for youtube tutorials by Mr. NJersey

Thanks for the tips.  I found one of Mr.NJersey's videos, and I think I found my mistake - I connected the battery to the engine, but not to anything else.  Probably other mistakes too, but I can't check till tomorrow.  It has already already given me some appreciation of just how much work your Nautilus is

Update:  I decided to just start from scratch.  Still some issues, but I managed to get the engine to start finally.  There wasn't much time to mess with it, but it was progress.  I also downloaded a few craft to start looking at how stuff is supposed to work.

Edited by Cavscout74

I've been working on a song using software called Forte. Been doing this during my bouts of insanity insomnia. But as far as games go, there's been KSP 1.3.0 (almost a totally different game compared to 1.91.), Cities: Skylines, Surviving Mars, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.