My wife and I have been tearing it up in Valheim. Good base building game that has one thing I really wish was in KSP: If you clip parts in the design phase, they ARE CONNECTED. PERIOD.

I've also had Soda Dungeon 2 idling for about 2 months. I don't generally like idle games but this one is so good. And it's a F2P that is actually F to P.

• 2 weeks later...

Another indirectly related tangent.

Out of morbid curiosity, I took a glance at the EA sale.

With all of its DLCs and multiple discounts ATM, The Sims 4 would set you back RUB 38 731. For reference, 2k-2.5k is the norm for a AAA game. Our interns earn 38k gross per month; McDonald's promises you "up to 50k" with bonuses, and that's considered decent money outside Moscow. For a different reference, 38k is enough to kit out up to half a dozen kids for school (the Moscow government assumes a grant of 5k per each is sufficient).

Spoiler

I'm sticking with roubles because game publishers adjust their prices according to arcane logic that factors in income levels and probability of piracy, rather than exchange rates... which often means hella cheap games across the ex-Soviet space.

Russia does have an obscenely depreciated currency; as per the usual yardstick, the Big Mac is RUB 135 or less than $2.

Who the heck is the target audience here? And they say FPSs with microtransactions are predatory...

Edited by DDE

I'm ABOUT to get and play Metroid Dread. 

Only been waiting 20 years for another 2D Metroid game can't wait!

On 10/4/2021 at 4:00 AM, DDE said:

Bought Sprocket. Game is pretty raw. Will get back to you once I get my Renault FT to move.

I was looking at getting this game, been holding off for a sale + time to actually play it.

30 minutes ago, MKI said:

I was looking at getting this game, been holding off for a sale + time to actually play it.

Wide of you. I took the plunge and thus far went on hiatus after one failed tank.

It seems to actually be harder to put together something WWI-looking.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, DDE said:

Out of morbid curiosity, I took a glance at the EA sale.

With all of its DLCs and multiple discounts ATM, The Sims 4 would set you back RUB 38 731.

I don't have an EA account but I just checked Steam and the game is $10 American (75% off, usually $40). The game with DLC and some bundle (how is that different from DLC?) is $21.43, 76% off the roughly $90.

AAA games usually run $60 here, which is also about what my wife and I pay for dinner out and drinks. $60 is about 4 hours' work at McDonald's going by their "$15/hour!" signs I see when I drive by.

How much more DLC does the EA store have than Steam? Like 27 billion?

9 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Lately...  It's been Empyrion.

I own that. Never got into it after multiple attempts to.

Lately I'm still playing Valheim, but also started a gem-matching steampunk mech rougelike (I think they googled "things Superfluous J likes" when designing this game) named Ironcast. It's not perfect but it's pretty good.

Image in spoiler because it's kinda big.

Spoiler

ss_fa3ff8393a23f940325ec9b63e37a7b09760c

Edited by Superfluous J

30 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Can't blame you... the gameplay is presented (thru tutorials) that lead you down a path of destruction and rage quitting.

It's when you realize the engine that drives all aggression towards you is entirely under your control, that it begins to feel like a simple sandbox.

Sniper Elite 4 , except I sneak around and stab people instead of shooting them , which leads me where I got the idea as i'm also playing Hitman 1 , 2 & 3 and as I have completed all three version in Master Mode , I know use them as a excuse to kill everyone on each level .

Maybe I have anger issues :ph34r::lol:

On 10/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, Superfluous J said:

I've been messing around with Empyrion as well.  Like XLJedi said, the game tends to lead you the wrong direction in the beginning.  I had tried it and didn't do much with it till he gave me some advice and now its one of my main time sinks.  Didn't hurt that I got extremely annoyed with my previous time sink (Stormworks), deleted my workshop creations for it & uninstalled the game.

On an unrelated note, has anyone played Reentry: An Orbital Simulator?

5 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

On an unrelated note, has anyone played Reentry: An Orbital Simulator?

If you want to flip every switch and follow checklists, I recommend it 100%, even without VR, but if you want like a mission pack for KSP, its a different game entirely. I've been playing since before 0.5 and can tell you the Dev is a really passionate guy and continues to impress, but at the end of the day, he is one guy, so keep that in mind.

To expand on the scope of the game, Reentry is kinda like flying missions in KSP, but all IVA and RO/RSS. The switches actually work and you need to set up the flight computer properly for what you are doing. If you think you are an absolute master at docking in KSP, prepare to be frustrated and embarrassed.....and satisfied 100 times more than docking in KSP when you finally nail it! The biggest difference between Reentry and KSP I feel is the amount of *stuff* you have to do to set up your craft.

Honestly, if you are considering it and have steam or another service that lets you return the game within 2 hours, you will figure out if you like it or not in an hour I'd bet.

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Meanwhile some people play professionally:

FCyctpvVkAUeQHp?format=jpg&name=large

$80?

Best I can do without being political.

No wait I can say "Modern Operations"? Like C'mon, we all know you mean "Modern Warfare"...like maybe one day we won't live in a world where you make a joke about a Western franchise, cuz you think it sucks, like COD: Modern Warfare, so you make fun of it, but then you read online there is an actual game you can buy in China with the same name as your joke. Don't get me wrong, there have been too many western games that take down communism, etc, but this reminds me of when the US Army released a game about killing brown people...its just so tone-deaf its surprising!

Edited by Meecrob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more or less finished with Dread (need to just beat the final boss, running around collecting stuff instead of dieing for the 5th time haha)

I found and booted up my Gameboy SP to relive Metroid Fusion to see how far things have progressed. 

Friends also got me to buy phasmaphobia