I picked up Hades on sale on Steam even though about the only thing I like about its genre is that it's a Roguelike. Everybody talks so well of it I figured it was worth $20 or whatever I spent.

It is AMAZING. I can't stop playing. I want to play right now instead of telling you about it.

I recently bought Children of a Dead Earth at 90% off in a Steam sale. Think KSP meets The Expanse- the whole solar system with n-body physics, design your own ships then watch as they get torn to shreds in a hail of railgun fire, lasers and nuclear missiles, but delta-V is still a significant concern and simply making your opponent run out of fuel is a valid strategy. No RCS though which is weird…

41 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I recently bought Children of a Dead Earth at 90% off in a Steam sale. Think KSP meets The Expanse- the whole solar system with n-body physics, design your own ships then watch as they get torn to shreds in a hail of railgun fire, lasers and nuclear missiles, but delta-V is still a significant concern and simply making your opponent run out of fuel is a valid strategy. No RCS though which is weird…

RCS can be emulated by adding more thrusters. I'm not convinced it has much of a role, though, unless you're willing to go with nuclear RCS.

I just discovered this game called Highfleet. An interesting mixture of realtime strategy on a map, 2D arcade combat and shipbuilding. Setting is a very atmospheric dieselpunk post-apocalypse, You're commanding the remains of a fleet of Miyazaki-esque airships on the run after your empire was nuked, and  you're hunted by overwhelming rebel forces. So it feels much like a Subsim at first.

The game looks somewhat simple, but ships have modeled radar, ir, weapons, you can deploy fighters and strategic weapons, even nuclear equipped ones. It's really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Heavenly Bodies just came out in the last few weeks. It's like a 2d spacewalking game, where you use the joysticks to control your astronaut's arms and move around the spaceship. There's also puzzles to solve, tasks to complete, etc. It's definitely fun, and pretty challenging at times, but also kind of short. Overall, would recommend, though.

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is really rough. Still good for someone with the niche interest... the title is rrally descriptive.

I'll be trying out Cyberpunk tomorrow. Let's see if I have to return. Also hoping to get back into either Cities Skylines or Frostpunk (no pun intended).

The last steam sale I picked up Skyrim, and I've been sinking most of my time into that.   I also picked up Teardown, which I've played a little but I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought.  The missions are more timed puzzles than actually destroying anything so far.  I'm not planning on refunding it, but I'm glad I got it on sale.

Highfleet command. Frank Herbert's Dune mixed with post apocalyptic world with some slavic flavour. Dieselpunk or should I say , liquid methane punk :) You command naval aerial group with carriers and tactical nukes.  It has ship editor :) Oops, just 2 posts above :)

Edited by evileye.x

On 12/13/2021 at 1:51 AM, DDE said:

Also hoping to get back into either Cities Skylines or Frostpunk (no pun intended).

*after half an hour auditing an old save*

"Why, why, why did I put a subway line one district south instead of the main axis between the factory district and residential!?"

I've gone back to one of my first games I played religiously. Luckily it wasn't on steam so I have no idea what my play time is.

Supreme commander. Easily my most played, and favorite RTS. 

Amazingly even though the game game out in 2007, its still alive today due to a thriving community of modders and players. 

I used to play against the AI for hours. Now I actually look into how to play the game "correctly" and find it just as fascinating and fun as I did a decade ago. Also the game really still stands the test of time, with excellent graphics, "modern gameplay" and lots of fun and interesting challenges of playing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm spending the holidays playing Planet Nomads. I'm enjoying it, once I managed to get my way on the basics. It can be pretty frustrating at first - but logical, once you get the basics and understand how to keep yourself fed, things start to happen way better.

I had read than Empyrion is a more mature game, nut Planet Nomads has something than Empyrion (neither Space Engineer) has: Linux and Mac support, and that settled the matter for me! :D 

https://www.gog.com/game/planet_nomads

Spoiler

@DDE & @kerbiloid

Totally off topic - but hear that WG has sued a bot coder in Russia for allegedly driving players away from WOT.  You guys have any info? 

(WOT forums notably hostile to non Russian speakers - hope you don't mind me asking, here) 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

So, Titanfall 2 is on a crazy sale, so I decided to try it.

But then I've also built a rocket in KSP for the first time in about three years. Oof. Muscle memory still works, but I was surprised the Soyuz counts as a 1.75 m with a 2.5 m central section. Choices, choices...

Edited by DDE

I got the game bigfoot where you can hunt Bigfoot. Been playing it with my significant other and having a good time for an early access game. 

Its somewhat disturbing, and discouraging when you Bigfoot takes thousands of rounds to the face and still ends up eating you because you couldn't find enough "evidence" of the big-guy's deeds, and thus are left in what is essentially a fight to the death. Like taking a picture of the guy wacking me in the face and getting foot prints and finding multiple dead bodies isn't enough? LET ME LEAVE!

Regardless, its a fun alternative to Phasmaphobia, where I at least get a pea shooter weapon and the ability to sprint beyond 3 feet.

• 2 weeks later...