Just finished a round of Civ6 as Kongo, taking four achievements in that round (District 12 and a 30-pop capital were the ones I was gunning for, along with the standard Kongo victory and a fourth wonder-related one that popped up when I captured the wonder). But the victory was sweet, after slogging through other civs I managed to KO the last two in one turn. Since you only have to capture the capitals for a domination victory, on one turn I captured one capital, then nuked the last civ's capital and rolled a tank in for the game-ending victory. Huzzah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought Construction Simulator 2015 a few days ago, and I'm enjoying it so far, especially the cranes. I'm still playing ETS2, but not as much at this moment. 

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

Currently as I type this im playing MSFS 2020. Im in the 787-10 at FL410 between KLAX and PHNL. As I was about to start typing this my aircraft decided quite randomly (Im using live weather and ever since I got into cruise over the pacific ive had a TAS of 520 with a GS of 460+- 10kts for a rough headwind of 49kts. So I suspect a batch of turbulence.) dump my heading select off and start banking right. I wasnt looking when it started as well, I was looking at my phone lol. I only knew I had an issue when my aircraft sounded an alarm. I got it back on course and am tracking with in about .5 down to .25nm of my course. If youre curious atm I am between waypoints DADIE and DIALO on heading 236. This flight marks by far the longest flight I will have made in any flight sim. Rough flight time of 5 hours 34 minutes. I typically only do flights within the contiguous 48 states, but since I have access to the 787-10 I am trying to work up to long hauls of 8, 9, 10 to even 18 hours!

I really had to work up my nerve to play MSFS2020 though. Back when I learned this game was coming out my best friend and brother from another mother was still alive. We had planned on flying together around the world. He passed away in August 2020 a short while before the game released. It was hard to fly at first with him gone. I only recently started flying in it again after almost 2 years of not playing/flying in it after his passing, and its hard, but, I think he would want me to fly. So fly I shall. 

Just thought I would edit to add my planned flights with one (EHAM - LGAV) completed yesterday. If you have MSFS2020 perhaps my planned flights might be fun for you to try too?

AMS/EHAM - LGAV (Schiphol to Athens) 3hr10min ✔️

KLAX- PHNL (LA to Honolulu) 5hr34min ✔️

KSEA - PHNL (SeaTac to Honolulu) 5hr49min

KLAS - PHNL (Vegas to Honolulu) 5hr59min

PANC - PHNL (Anchorage to Honolulu) 6hr1min

JFK - EGLL (NYC to Heathrow) 7hr21min

PHNL - RJTT (Honolulu to Haneda JP) 8hr9min

CYYZ - EDDF (Toronto to Frankfurt) 8hr21min

EHAM - KLAS (Schiphol to Vegas) 10hr10min

KLAS - EHAM (Vegas to Schiphol) 10hr10min

YPPH - EGLL (Perth to Heathrow) 18hr29min

oh just for fun if you know of any routes (able to support a 787-10 or 747-8i at origin and destination) and would like me to fly it @  me in a reply with the airports ICAO codes and/or full airport names :) and I will endeavor to fly it! 

Well I completed my flight about 35 min ago (as of this edit) but a stuttering and audio stutter issue that Asobo (one of the dev companies for MSFS2020) introduced in a recent update (sound crackles and fps drops off the map after 3+ hours of flight and gets almost unplayble with lag. Im not the only player seeing it happen) made my landing a mess. I as with the rest of the player base are awaiting either a hot fix patch or the August update to see if it fixes it.

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 7/14/2022 at 3:19 AM, AlamoVampire said:

as I type this im playing MSFS 2020

I've a copy of of it - and oddly, all I use it for is to occasionally fly places I've been before and look at the ground.  I know I could just Bing Map those areas - but it's relaxing to do it with the game. 

I built a computer for a friend of mine who plays like you do.  He loves the big boys and has a bunch of associated apps that let him simulate being a real airline pilot doing all that you described.  A300 / 747 etc - he loves that stuff. 

But for me - that seems like work.  I have more fun flying probably too low in a plane that should not be in the mountains as I try to remember if the road I'm following is the same one I drove up 30 years ago 

@JoeSchmuckatelli your post reminded me of something I did recently when I returned to MSFS2020. The outskirts of my city are photogrammetry and are somewhat off. Ive lived here long enough (whole life tbh) that I know my area well. So, to get onto what I was gonna say, I grabbed one of the Textron cessnas (which ever has the glass cockpit, which i think comes in the deluxe edition, i have the premium deluxe which is how/why I can use the 787-10 lol) and flew towards my neighborhood. Most of the area looks right if a bit heavy on excess trees, like 3-4x whats here irl. Also the major AFB base near me is also just off… missing key buildings its known for. Anyway after circling my neighborhood like a demented buzzard I decided to see how well my memory worked. I decided to see if I could w/out a flight plan or maps or gps assistance fly to the coast only by following roads. Happy to say I could! Also learned how that cessna (a textron 175 iirc) and its AP work.

To be fair, I envy those with simpits (homebuilt cockpits that emulate a specific cockpit) or just a good yoke and what not that are more GA/Commercial Aviation than fighter jet. Not that my X-56 rhino by logitech is a bad HOTAS (its awesome, but its not a 787/747 style setup lol). 

I enjoy flying the sim living out dreams of flying the real thing, and flying high altitude IFR flights in MSFS is as fun and relaxing now as it has been for more than 25 years. Well that is until w/e issue world update 9 caused or is causing the issue in my final update in the post above yours. 

To borrow from Scott Manley: Fly safe!

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

my X-56 rhino

That was my 'thank you' gift by my dedicated flying friend.  I like it.  (But then, what do I know!!!)

But yeah - when I see him play, he's mousing over a dial or a button, and you just know he would kill for a sim setup.

I'm like you; I grab something with a big glass cockpit.  He's got Prem Deluxe like you and has bought add'l aircraft.

Frankly - what I really wish there was - was a helicopter.  I've always wanted to learn that kind of flight, and Hueys et.al. fit with my 'flight profile' (nap of the earth).

For those familiar with Universe Sandbox... Is there any point in trying to terraform a planet?

I put Kepler 62f at 1AU from the sun and tried dumping water on it.  Judiciously.  I wanted continents.  Set the atmosphere to 1 (earth).  Set the sea level to half the terrain gradient (6.7 of 13km).  Watched the water 'level out' (fun) and the continents freeze over and a polar cap start to form... then as temp rose, watched the continents thaw... but then my temp kept rising to past 100c.  So... my seas should have boiled off, right?

I'm guessing the simulation is to throw moons and planets at stuff rather than seeing what happens at a given planet, but perhaps I should ask here if I'm missing anything.

Otherwise - I'm just gonna go back and smash stuff.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:19 AM, AlamoVampire said:

Currently as I type this im playing MSFS 2020.

Last time I tried playing that (and don't get me wrong, it's good an all) I tried to qualify for the pilots license or something like that with the C-172 and couldn't pass the test.  Got frustrated and just stopped playing...  apparently, there is no option to take a pic of your RL pilot license and just send that in to qualify for a license in MSFS.

37 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

apparently, there is no option to take a pic of your RL pilot license and just send that in to qualify for a license in MSFS.

If they allowed that, they'd probably get people trying to get it to work the other way...

14 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Last time I tried playing that (and don't get me wrong, it's good an all) I tried to qualify for the pilots license or something like that with the C-172 and couldn't pass the test.  Got frustrated and just stopped playing...  apparently, there is no option to take a pic of your RL pilot license and just send that in to qualify for a license in MSFS.

Ive only used the pilot training missions as a rapid refresh. Ive not done the airliner portion of the training because 1. The a320 and i do not get along, I just cant get the bird to do what I want. 2. I am NOT a fan of Airbus in general.

The A350-900 is a decent enough looking bird, but when you get down to it Im a Boeing, Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas fanboy. I mean I got the PMDG 737-700 for MSFS2020 and a poster of the various panels of the flight deck of the 737-800.

All that said you dont need to finish the training or really do it to fly. Just grab the bird you want and go fly :) 

Oh also just wanted to say that Ive found that the “instructor pilot” is way way stingy on how it grades you. Its holding way too fine a standard, especially if you look at it as if the player or “student” is for all intents an inexperienced pilot starting fresh. I can see being hyper strict if you are qualifying to land on an aircraft carrier or even more precise if qualifying to dock to the ISS, but a fresh green pilot? Its way too stingy.

Edited by AlamoVampire

20 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

All that said you dont need to finish the training or really do it to fly. Just grab the bird you want and go fly :) 

I know. 

My point was, it was a bit harder to fly the planes in the game than it actually is in RL. 

For me I think it was mostly related to the feedback you get from sitting in the plane and peripheral vision.  In the simulator, I found it unusually difficult/tedious just to fly in a circle around a fixed point and maintain altitude.  IRL, it's a nothing exercise that you do in like your first couple hours of flight training.   Lack of rudder pedals probably didn't help me either.

Edited by XLjedi

@XLjedi ok now i see where you were going.  And I think youre right about the feedback thing. Me personally I want to invest is better peripherals that resemble the real thing (airlines/general aviation) rather than a fighter jet set up. That and rudder pedals hehe. Dont get me wrong my X-56 rhino is a great HOTAS but it does feel odd flying a 737 from the left seat while using what would be more at home (single hand control stick rather than yoke ignoring the fighter jet look ofc) on an Airbus AND being a right hand stick and left hand throttle for the FO seat lol. 

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 7/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, Geonovast said:

If they allowed that, they'd probably get people trying to get it to work the other way...

Well, if they can pass the test in MSFS, they probably fly better than 75% of all private pilots already!  I think all they would be missing is ATC comms, and some ground school.