On 10/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, Geonovast said:

More and more Satisfactory.  Again.

The new round foundation pieces have... inspired me.

HighResScreenshot20221017-154006.png

That's amazing!  

(Almost everything I build in Satisfactory looks like this: 48074708523_ca39d14e4e_c.jpg)

On 10/18/2022 at 3:39 AM, DDE said:

Me, the day before yesterday: "It would be nice if the freight train didn't drive backwards, but had a second locomotive on the rear end"

Me, today: struggling to fix the variable train car payloads on a derivative of the vanilla freight train asset :confused:

Your earlier post inspired me... bought the game.

Now, the only thing I need is sleep!

Been playing the absolute crap out of Elden Ring, finished up a "kill everything with a boss healthbar" run then took the character (my third character) into NG+ to scoop up the last ending I needed for Steam 100%. Now I'm in NG+2 killing everything again, waiting on the DLC.

That and Spelunky 2, which got me through the pandemic. What an absolute gem of a game.

Edited by regex

Discovered that the new DLC for Rimworld adds children and child-rearing, as well as bioengineering.

Naturally, the reviews are split between "finally, catgirls" and "finally, child slave blood banks and organ donors".

More ETS2 with ProMods, currently on a trip from Łódź to Thessaloniki carrying some eel. Just today, I started playing Tetris again (here) and damn it's addicting! I forgot how much fun it is, and how good a song Korobeiniki  is.

I haven't been playing KSP recently because I lost the charger to the laptop with KSP on it somewhere, probably in my family's car. I'm moving, so things are kind of everywhere, even more than before.

Caught word that Steam has hiked recommended game prices for Russia by 70% (while still not bothering to establish a working payment channel). Promptly bought my wishlist, which included Rimworld.

Well, I'm definitely going to have some fun with that one. Besides the tutorial, I've thus far gone through a false start - unlike the other DLCs, the mechanics from Ideology require you to use them to establish your settlement's ruling ideology from game start. And I haven't quite sorted them out, so I went with a seemingly simple precept, Rancher - unfortunately, this makes your settlers dislike sowing edible crops and crave for a large herd of domesticated animals, which you don't start with, and which require a lot more grazing ground than I've anticipated.

I called it quits after a lynx ate my castaways' literal guinea pig, whom I forgot to restrict to indoors, mostly because the game's artstyle involves scaling small animals (rats, squirrels, etc) up to occupy the human-sized square. So the guinea pig looked like the size of a capybara! (and, of course, it seemed to be able to open doors on its own)

On 10/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, DDE said:

Caught word that Steam has hiked recommended game prices for Russia by 70% (while still not bothering to establish a working payment channel). Promptly bought my wishlist, which included Rimworld.

Well, I'm definitely going to have some fun with that one. Besides the tutorial, I've thus far gone through a false start - unlike the other DLCs, the mechanics from Ideology require you to use them to establish your settlement's ruling ideology from game start. And I haven't quite sorted them out, so I went with a seemingly simple precept, Rancher - unfortunately, this makes your settlers dislike sowing edible crops and crave for a large herd of domesticated animals, which you don't start with, and which require a lot more grazing ground than I've anticipated.

I called it quits after a lynx ate my castaways' literal guinea pig, whom I forgot to restrict to indoors, mostly because the game's artstyle involves scaling small animals (rats, squirrels, etc) up to occupy the human-sized square. So the guinea pig looked like the size of a capybara! (and, of course, it seemed to be able to open doors on its own)

Update: after yet another go complicated by an overly restrictive hand-crafted ideology, I've realized that I should just go for a no-strings-attached industrially-obsessed secular dictatorship.

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Update: after yet another go complicated by an overly restrictive hand-crafted ideology, I've realized that I should just go for a no-strings-attached industrially-obsessed secular dictatorship.

Fraught irony?

0o

Also - while I do not know if the option exists in the game:

Corporate bordello - so much more profit! 

I've sometimes been playing Genshin Impact. Much different than KSP, but I like all the choice you have in combat strategy. My healers aren't healers, they deal the majority of the damage on some of my team comps. And turns out, the starter characters are actually pretty good if you equip them with the right stuff.

The developer, MiHoYo, plans to release another similar game sometime in 2023, called Honkai Star rail. When that drops, I'll probably leave Genshin, as HSR is set in space, and involves trains, and is therefore definitively cooler. If I'm not still playing KSP or KSP2 then.

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Fraught irony?

0o

Also - while I do not know if the option exists in the game:

Corporate bordello - so much more profit! 

I fully expected this reply, mostly because I'd seen the irony myself.

Spoiler

But it is the pragmatic decision. The last guys I tried banned beer and cybernetics.

As I said, organ harvesting and the red market are the memes of villainy in this game.

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought scorn on sale. its different, and pleasantly disgusting. its like an interactive hr giger painting.  seems more puzzle oriented than combat oriented. spend a lot of time walking around looking for things. it explains nothing.  not for squeamish. 

e: and having gotten to the end i have to add totally not for kids. also another short game after completing in under 9 hours. id like to see games get back to the 20-40 hour mark instead of being < 10 hours, or artificially long >100 hours due to grind, or take up years for having no end to it. 

Edited by Nuke

Been playing some XCOM 2: War of the Chosen lately, not a new game, continuing a save game, classic difficulty, no mods. Just raided the first Chosen's stronghold in an absolutely brilliant fight, my squad of 6 wiped out a strong welcoming committee of 9 mobs in a single turn without any damage, it was one of those glorious moments. Made it out with 1 minor wounded and 5 tired but satisfied solders, 2 promotions including my first Colonel. I've been playing the UFO/X-COM/XCOM series since the Amiga days (1994), it's one of those games I always get back to.

• 1 month later...

X4: Foundations. Picked up the latest DLC from Steam (v5.10), found out the latest version had a dynamic resolution setting so I booted up an old savegame (v2....80?) that I stopped playing because my fps in Grand Exchange I had sunk to a steady 3 near my HQ or industrial park and a max of 7 when not near any factory. Found out my fps around the HQ is now around 12. Very acceptable*!

It's a nice save, all ARG/PAR/TEL blueprints in possession (this was before the Split/Human expansions), 3 full wharfs/shipyards constantly pumping out ships, ruling 10 sectors including some of the core ones. Over 2100 ships and 38 highly optimized factories. 66 billion credits in the bank, earning an additional 50-150 million an hour depending on how many ships I build for myself. Max rank ally with every major faction, I could tie up every single shipyard in the game for weeks with mega ship orders and not break a sweat.

The shipyards are a gold mine, I sell to everyone, and of course the HOP are at war with everyone (as they do), so as soon as the ships leave my yards they are starting their fight. I'm fairly certain that less than 20% of what I sell ever leaves visual range of the shipyard, it's a constant fireworks show and boy does it keep the factories churning.

It's nice to pick it up again, I need to get a hold of those juicy Split engine blueprints so I need to start increasing rank with them.

* For some definitions of 'acceptable'.

• 1 month later...

After a few false starts, I've fallen into my usual trap with Rimworld: Ideologies.

You see, the game randomly generates ideologies for factions that may or may not make much sense (see that peaceful tribe over there? They're cannibals). However, it also allows you to replace those ideologies with your own at game start. Worldbuilding!

And then what's worse, I've realized that each ideology has a hidden parameter for planet of origin. Normally that just affects flavor text, but now it provides heaps of context for worldbuilding.

So I'm stuck for the better part of the last month coming up with a nice, coherent and varied line-up. At this point, I'm enticed to post it in the Workshop somehow...

On 2/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, DDE said:

After a few false starts, I've fallen into my usual trap with Rimworld: Ideologies.

You see, the game randomly generates ideologies for factions that may or may not make much sense (see that peaceful tribe over there? They're cannibals). However, it also allows you to replace those ideologies with your own at game start. Worldbuilding!

And then what's worse, I've realized that each ideology has a hidden parameter for planet of origin. Normally that just affects flavor text, but now it provides heaps of context for worldbuilding.

So I'm stuck for the better part of the last month coming up with a nice, coherent and varied line-up. At this point, I'm enticed to post it in the Workshop somehow...

OK, I've also developed a minor mod addiction...

And of course it's mainly about oil and gas. You may laugh at your leisure.