Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Image result for lego star wars the complete saga

That game was the *thing* to be playing in kindergarten...

Ive been binging world of ships for a while. Good game. Really great with destroyers

Edited by munlander1
English
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 10:51 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I swear I have played 2 totally different games: Factorio, and Factorio without hand crafting. I much prefer the latter.

For my run, I actually changed the way I hand-craft in the controls menu. I rebound the keys to something I knew I'd never hit by accident.

So I succumbed and started a new run. I am attempting the Lazy guy challenge. I just made the oil refinery and I'm sitting at 107 crafts. I think I messed up and crafted the boiler without using the starter furnace, so it won't be perfect run, but it's fun, well after you get assembly machine 2. I disabled permissions for crafting so I don't click accidentally.

Again rail world (I find that a must), biters according to your recipe, although I might have messed up something, since I still haven't spotted them yet (big starting area), I might have to explore a bit further. Well I will have to explore since my starter coal patch was only 200k, and the only other one spotted by radars is also small. I do have a 22M stone patch nearby so I'm safe with that for the foreseeable future. Iron patch is entirely covered with miners and still not producing enough (as always) so I'll have to fetch a big juicy one just on the edge of the explored area.

I have the base walled off and turrets placed with a bit of overlap, they all have 50+ bullets so I think I'm safe from first couple of attacks. I'm slowly adding the second layer of wall and will make turrets a bit more dense.

I got 8 labs researching trains so I can haul in that lovely iron.

Now I just need to survive the natives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

So I succumbed and started a new run. I am attempting the Lazy guy challenge. I just made the oil refinery and I'm sitting at 107 crafts. I think I messed up and crafted the boiler without using the starter furnace, so it won't be perfect run, but it's fun, well after you get assembly machine 2. I disabled permissions for crafting so I don't click accidentally.

QUIT IT! I am NOT starting a new run and am instead waiting for 0.17.

*sits in corner in fetal position, rocking back and forth, muttering that over and over*

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started a new game of Factorio fairly recently. Railworld and default biters.

vrmATUB.jpg

Mostly spaghetti free, aside from bit for robot production. I just got robots and roboports online. I need a better power source though, I've almost finished nuclear power research.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

QUIT IT! I am NOT starting a new run and am instead waiting for 0.17.

*sits in corner in fetal position, rocking back and forth, muttering that over and over*

THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I just started a new game of Factorio fairly recently. Railworld and default biters.

snip

Mostly spaghetti free, aside from bit for robot production. I just got robots and roboports online. I need a better power source though, I've almost finished nuclear power research.

THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW THE FACTORY MUST GROW

That is spaghetti free, but how in the world you manage to get to bots with only 6 green circuit assemblers?

I need 4 just for the starter mall and they are always in short supply. There are 4 more for starter science which is fine until you hit blue bottles. But all the rest stuff needs either a bus of green stuff or dedicated production. In my current, which I continuously feel is inadequate I have additional 3 for red circuits and I'm siphoning that for bot manufacture.

My previous run (the first one I launched the rocket I had more than 70 assembly machines 2 just for green and was producing just enough (I don't use modules or beacons, I don't like them, but that can't account for the difference).

13 minutes ago, lapis said:

 

Played openttd, found a really old save. and then realized how inefficient I was at organizing my railroads. i spent a while revamping it to look and work better

Shuffling passengers? Is that viable in early game and such small towns?

A trick (or exploit) I learned for passenger based OTTD runs is to build very large stations in the middle of towns early on. Then place lots of roads around the station so the town grows and encapsulates the station. People will complain a bit at first, but the first class service will soon placate them, but you have a good foundation for future service. It's much easier than demolishing half a city to build a station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

That is spaghetti free, but how in the world you manage to get to bots with only 6 green circuit assemblers?

I need 4 just for the starter mall and they are always in short supply. There are 4 more for starter science which is fine until you hit blue bottles. But all the rest stuff needs either a bus of green stuff or dedicated production. In my current, which I continuously feel is inadequate I have additional 3 for red circuits and I'm siphoning that for bot manufacture.

My previous run (the first one I launched the rocket I had more than 70 assembly machines 2 just for green and was producing just enough (I don't use modules or beacons, I don't like them, but that can't account for the difference).

I actually have 6. 1 for my dedicated bot factory, which I just set up with one assembler making bot frames, then let run forever. I find it keeps up with my bot requirements pretty well. 2 for the main red circuit line (currently just 2.5 red circuit/sec, although it's far less than that since I don't have enough oil refineries). 1 for my inserters and splitters, which only works because I always wait way to long to move to red belts and better inserters. Then 2 more to provide what would be 1.25 green sci/sec (except I'm limited by military and blue science), assemblers, repair packs, and blue science. The blue science would be drawing too much, except I don't have enough steel for engine units, so I have a while on that.

In short, the answer is because I build science in bad ratios, and there are things more badly limiting the factory. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I build science in bad ratios

Me too. I usually don't bother to think about ratios, but green chips are actually easy. 3 assemblers for wire feeding into two assemblers for chips themselves. You can use direct insertion and it's a fairly nice setup.

In the meantime, I made a right mess out of my base. Spaghettification is going to be strong with this one. I keep panicking about an impending attack (which isn't coming, even though I've checked and there are nests nearby) I keep rushing towards bots so I can make better defenses. I have 30 something bots and just started placing roboports, but still need to sort out logistics and place blueprints all around the base. I'm at 170k iron in my starting ore patch, so I'll need to expand a bit. Good news is I found a decent coal patch not very far away and already have a train hauling in the black stuff.

My blue science is still hand fed, so I'll have to automate that, but I wanted to get the proper oil processing up and running so I can crack and solve the bottlenecks. So many things to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Just bought the Industries Plus DLC for Cities: Skylines and am building that up. Got a furniture factory and bakery up, and am starting to develop an oilpatch

I made the mistake of trying it first on Arid Plains. Literally no resources on the starting tile. I’ve had to do a thorough survey of the maps available to look for something that’s more workable.

So now I have four projects to try and develop near-simultaneously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having built a new PC with a GTX1080 in it I figured it would be silly not to have a go at VR so got a Rift to go with it.

Beat Sabre's good (especially with Beat Saver to add additional tracks), but Superhot VR is freaking awesome.  Sadly Superhot's quite short so I've finished it but now going back through to try and set better times on all stages. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, Shpaget said:

Shuffling passengers? Is that viable in early game and such small towns?

if you do it right, pick the right trains and the towns with the most potential to grow. also with a single airport you can stay afloat long enough  to expand enough where your potential for collapsing is smaller. ( youcant see it in the screenshot but I also have a couple industry trains)

Edited by lapis
Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up Slay The Spire and Star Traders: Frontiers on Steam's Lunar New Year sale, for about $30 (if you spend more than $30 you get $5 more off so woot there).

Slay The Spire is as good as I wanted it to be. A CCG without the whole paying for more stuff with real money aspect, clear progression, tough enemies and very cool (if simplified) art. I can see playing this one for a long time.

Star Traders: Frontiers looks to be another long-term game as it checks a lot of boxes for me. Procedural lots-of-things, rpg aspects with growing characters over potentially very long terms, nice comic art, and spaaaaaaaace. I haven't played it yet, because Slay The Spire was so fun it ate all my spare time. Maybe tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, lapis said:

hxGzgxU.png

Played openttd, found a really old save. and then realized how inefficient I was at organizing my railroads. i spent a while revamping it to look and work better

Looks an awful lot like Chris Sawyer's old games. For some reason, I am wanting to call it either "Transportation Tycoon" or "Locomotion" but not sure which one it was. It was one of those 1980's games...

Fun stuff and good memories!

@lapis, have you tried Industry Giant 2 or Mashinky? Both are good train-based games.

 

 

Edited by adsii1970
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Looks an awful lot like Chris Sawyer's old games. For some reason, I am wanting to call it either "Transportation Tycoon" or "Locomotion" but not sure which one it was. It was one of those 1980's games.

OTTD stands for Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and it indeed is an open source remake of Transport Tycoon made to work on modern machines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Having built a new PC with a GTX1080 in it I figured it would be silly not to have a go at VR so got a Rift to go with it.

Well, I have two i3s and a 750Ti. The graphics card can easily be changed (only requirement is money), but the CPU?
I might as well buy an entirely new computer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Delay said:

Well, I have two i3s and a 750Ti. The graphics card can easily be changed (only requirement is money), but the CPU?
I might as well buy an entirely new computer!

That was my thinking, old machine was a Athlon X4 and a 9600GT :D

A colleague recently bought a 980 cheap off another colleague who was upgrading (to a 2080ti :o), she then discovered her case was too small, and her processor wasn't really up to it, and her power supply wasn't good enough for the new MB/processor/GPU combination... :D

 

 

I also bought X4 when it came out, bit disappointing really compared with X2 and X3 which I love, however Egosoft do tend to keep updating and improving game throughout their life so I still hold out some hope for it.

Edited by RizzoTheRat
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am playing Judgement Apocalypse Survival simulation....

Let's just say that when you play a Devil slaying survival simulator, but play smooth Jazz / country music in the background.... it almost feels like you are the villain..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...