I've been wanting to play a certain RPG for a while and just have not had the time.  I remember playing the first version of this game back in the day and there was simply nothing else like it at the time.  Well, I could no longer say I did not have the time, so...

Wasteland 2

Just now, cubinator said:

I started playing Hollow Knight.

Excellent idea and a choice you will not regret, if the innate difficulty of the game doesn’t make you rage quit. I have done that a time or three.

1 minute ago, Fraston said:

Excellent idea and a choice you will not regret, if the innate difficulty of the game doesn’t make you rage quit. I have done that a time or three.

I have also been working towards V-rank on the remaining two levels in VVVVVV, and practicing for an eventual no-death run of that game.

Picked up Witcher 3 and both DLCs in a bundle on steam.  Enjoying it a lot, but there's a lot of back story...which has led me to start reading the original books.  So far I can't make up my mind if they're not that well written or if the translation from the original Polish isn't great.

This week I started Kenshi.  It's an open world RPG/RTS ish game with no story line or main plot, but I'm loving it so far.  My first 2 or 3 starts died pretty quickly but I'm up to a team of 6 who can fight off small groups of starving bandits and are starting to build their own base, but still having to run away from the better equipped bandits.

A bit of an update of the project I embarked on Minecraft.

I arrived at a badlands Biome (MineAtlas works perfectly BTW), the first thing I did was to set up a small campsite where I would live while I stay there(I'm aproximatly 2000 blocks from my main base so yeah I'm not returning there unless something goes very wrong)

So once I settled up everything I decided to build a bridge to another mesa(my home is on a mesa woodlands and to minimize the impact of my stay on the area I choosed a nearby mesa to harvest trees) after the bridge was done I decided to decorate it a bit, it was then when i realized that it would be much easier with scafolding, the thing is that I didn't bring any bamboo, so I had to search for it, so I went to a jungle that was nearby (again MineAtlas works perfectly).

So after that was all done I started building a cave to put one of the wonders of the world in it (as you can probably see I'm procastinating the build of the town), so I started mining a small hole where I would then build a small ruin housing a certain relic.

Spoiler

WIP of what I said

ZpWV6ZO.png

The relic itself is done, while the cave itself is still faaar from done, I'm planning on flooding a small part of it and build a few ruins while making the rest of the cave look overgrown like it was untouched for centuries.

The building was easy but it took a lot of time (and diamonds) I had to clear 20 layers 30x30 blocks and it took a while.(and i had to repair 3 times my unbreaking III diamond pickaxe so that can put a perspective on what it took, also the ocasional lava pool didn't help.

Also this is what it is based on:

Spoiler

mD1upDs.jpg

So making it to fit on the cave was fun, what i didn't was using a pixel art drawing tool I desinged it(this is BTW really helpfull to desing small pixel art on the game when 1 block = one pixel) the biggest challenge was making those green things that float around the rest of the circle, what i did at the end was:

Importing the desing with a pixel art converter to animal crossing new horizons and taking some insparation from it (yeah, I find some really odd ways to fix stuff)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, XLjedi said:

I've been wanting to play a certain RPG for a while and just have not had the time.  I remember playing the first version of this game back in the day and there was simply nothing else like it at the time.  Well, I could no longer say I did not have the time, so...

Wasteland 2

Hah, I downloaded it recently too.  The original was one of my favorites as a kid - and I downloaded the original as well.   I haven't had much time actually playing the new one, but its installed.  I had major issues getting it to recognize my saves, which killed some of my enthusiasm right from the start.

13 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Hah, I downloaded it recently too.  The original was one of my favorites as a kid - and I downloaded the original as well.   I haven't had much time actually playing the new one, but its installed.  I had major issues getting it to recognize my saves, which killed some of my enthusiasm right from the start.

I finished it a few days ago...  I was disappointed by a few things.

1)  the energy weapons are not the same, rather sucky actually (Assault Rifle is the alpha weapon)

2)  they removed the firing selection for "burn a clip" (they kept burst and single fire)

3)  a lot of very foul language and adult themes that I did not remember from the original

Otherwise, it was very good and I could recommend the game to anyone...  except for maybe elementary school age kids.

Edited by XLjedi

I found out that through June, the premium level tutorials for Unity are all free.   (normally like $40 a month)

...and so begins my new game development career!  :rolleyes:

I was 1/2 the way there though...  I already know GIMP and Blender fairly well.  Now I just need some decent free sound synth software and to make sense of this C# scripting.  I went with Visual Studio Code as my free C# script editor so got that installed with Unity a few days ago.  I figure by the end of the month I should be releasing my first blockbuster.

Yesterday's learning topics included destructible 3D objects (Cell Fracture is a very cool and free Blender addon), and limiting the firing range of lasers.  Today I need to look at scrollable and 2D tile maps.  OH, and skyboxes!  

Edited by XLjedi

On 5/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, XLjedi said:

I found out that through June, the premium level tutorials for Unity are all free.   (normally like $40 a month)

...and so begins my new game development career!  :rolleyes:

I was 1/2 the way there though...  I already know GIMP and Blender fairly well.  Now I just need some decent free sound synth software and to make sense of this C# scripting.  I went with Visual Studio Code as my free C# script editor so got that installed with Unity a few days ago.  I figure by the end of the month I should be releasing my first blockbuster.

Yesterday's learning topics included destructible 3D objects (Cell Fracture is a very cool and free Blender addon), and limiting the firing range of lasers.  Today I need to look at scrollable and 2D tile maps.  OH, and skyboxes!  

Oh, nice catch! I'm aswell learning Unity and coding C# since December of last year.(I'm right now developing a demo for a metroidvania I wanted to make for a long time, I got one of the bossfights working!...Well actually 2 but we don't talk about the first one)

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Oh, nice catch! I'm aswell learning Unity and coding C# since December of last year.(I'm right now developing a demo for a metroidvania I wanted to make for a long time, I got one of the bossfights working!...Well actually 2 but we don't talk about the first one)

Cool... let me know if you need someone to test a level!

I'm still trying to knock down the logic for several building blocks that I know I will need before I can really get started on anything. 

Baby steps!

One bad thing lately, with constant Steam sales - at least a dozen games that I've seen at various times & thought "that looks interesting, but not for $30" have been on sale for <$10 over the last few weeks.  Several of them, I'm very glad I got on sale but others have been pretty interesting.  All have been eating into my KSP time, though. 

Thought about joining this week's Star Citizen free-to-play event to see what $300 mln look like.

Then I saw the list of mundane bugs like guns not firing... I'll have to think about it again.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Thought about joining this week's Star Citizen free-to-play event to see what $300 mln look like.

Then I saw the list of mundane bugs like guns not firing... I'll have to think about it again.

Star Citizen, the most expensive vaporware in the history of vaporware.

19 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Star Citizen, the most expensive vaporware in the history of vaporware.

Wasted the night. It looks interesting, but it is at the same time a very limited tech demo... and incredibly unapproachable due to all the "immersion".

8 hours ago, Lewie said:

I haven't really been playing anything but ksp lately...you might even say I'm hooked on it...

I definitely am

My wife bought me Doom Eternal for my birthday. Proving to be quite the waste of money so far. LOL