Small settings change

Once I was flying around in 1.2 prerelase and I have witnessed a bug that was in fact very useful.

My computer is very old and I usually play on lowest textures quality - having 256MB's of VRAM is a terrible thing.

Everything was normal until i went IVA - textures of Artificial Horizon and all the other gauges were set to maximum and I havent noticed any performance losses. Usually I can't enjoy flying from FPP because I am unable to read my instruments - on lowest settings textures are very blurry. I have double-checked my settings and there were as usual - texture quality was set to one-eight. 

Since it worked this way I would like to ask Devs to either split texture settings for internals and externals, or to always force maxmimal quality for instruments - if my computer can run it, every single one should be able to.

I think this small change would be appriceated by many owners of low-end computers.

I hope to see something like this in upcoming update. 

Sorry for my English

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Your English is fine, :) but I don't think what you're asking for is possible. Different resolutions for different parts of the screen? 

No, he suggests keeping a maximal resolution for IVAs regardless of graphic settings, so that gauges and instruments may still be readable even on a low-end computer with lower graphics; or to be able to set textures for IVA and vessel view separately.

Well, it would be possible to create an extra window with instruments and flight data, to let the game run in a low-res window and the instruments/data in another hi-res window. Old school simulation programs did something like that. But that would mean to program the whole ui stuff new. All of us who are used to see flight data (navball, ker data) in the game window would be irritated. Docking, landing and anything that needs an eye on the flight path and data simultaneously would be more tricky.

From what I understand, this is not about screen resolution, but about texture resolution, right? So, in a nutshell, the suggestion is that the texture resolution on IVA instruments should be set independently from the rest of the textures?

Well, I think a second settings for that is overkill, but since they're small anyway (and there are few of them), I think they could be full-res all the time. In fact, I think the light panel (the one with 'RCS' and 'SAS' and etc.) should have a better resolution anyway, even using full-res I find it hard to read.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.