Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

So would anyone mind giving me some guidelines for the engines in this pack.  I've tried making a few different designs.  My first vision is a J type body, with a large docking connector 2 cargo bays and then a fuel section followed by engine mount.  I've had trouble finding a good balance because I don't seem to be understanding the engines.

Question, there are only 4 engines right?  Dark Goo, Circular Scramjet, big inline scramjet and the smaller liquid fuel/ox one?  I keep seeing this small inline scramjet in pictures but I don't see it in the mod. (sorry for not knowing their names don't have it in front of me).

I've been building space planes in stock with the Rapier NERV combo.  Rapiers to get to orbit, then kick in Nervs.  I haven't figured out a similar combo in this mod.  It seems to me the little liquid/ox engine is the closest efficiency to the nerv in space.  (I'm trying to not use the dark goo mostly because while its REALLY COOL I feel its a little OP.  I may use it for fun or on a station at some point later)

Now I've successfully made it to orbit using the little liq/ox engine and the circular scramjet.  (Love the effect on the scramjet as you speed up btw!)  However, I have very little fuel left when I get to orbit because the little engines eat up a lot.

My end goal is an SSTO that I can take to minmus or the mun with decent cargo.

*note I've also go the Mark4 pack with the scimitar engines if those would be better choices.

Been LOVING this mod since the 1.9 update, can't live without it....

Tiny SSTO for transfering a pilot and 5 passengers to LKO with ~~5k+ dV left.
Minimalistic approach based around a J-81 engine, designed to get kerbals to (and back from) moon/minmus mining stations.

Spoiler

Rh8wokh.png

J-class SSTO for getting kerbals to and from anywhere!

2400 monoprop assures you can dock while you're proper drunk, you got reaction wheels for all movement besides docking, perfect for my needs!

Based around the impeccable design of x2 J-81 paired with x2 J-92 engines, seriously this will push any SSTO into orbit as long as it's less than 200t, with a peak power of 6KkN.

This baby hits a 75x75km orbit with nearly 11km/s left, all you need to do is point this baby to 15 degrees up after take off and sit back, this excrements is so good it might even complete assignments for you, nobody knows!

Spoiler

Cd3CjuT.png

l7OEdWN.png

Will upload either of them if asked, I use KSP Interstellar for the RCS thrusters (they're GREAT)  though (still waiting for OPT ones) but can remove those parts for the upload.

Edited by degenerate

@flyguybc There are actually 7 (3 in the main mod and 4 in legacy which must be installed since you're seeing Mk2 engines). If you type J- into the search bar you'll see nearly all of OPT's engines.

Respectively the engines you're calling out should be Dark Drive, J-92 (the 2.5m air-breather), J-60 ScreamJet (air-breathing Mk2 with built-in tank) and either the ARI-7x (1.25m LFO engine) or J-81 S3B1ZzR Nacelle (Mk2-ish LF & LFO engine).

The J-92 is equivalent to the J-61 (both shown here) performance-wise, but its defining difference is form factor. Aside from a little more weight, and lower Isp. (4000s vs 7000s) which may seem like a lot of loss it reaches peak performance just a little quicker and will go places that Mk2 engines can't (especially when mk2 to 2.5m adapters ...and Rapier clusters...aren't welcome).

2sU8XSQ.jpg  PJF9cI8.jpg  

The official cover image for OPT has an ARI-7x engine cluster.

The ARI-73 and ARI-75 are amazing to have in any atmosphere (and make up for lack of Oxygen for normal air engines) as their Isp climb to over 900s ASL, but in space it falls back to 340s. You don't want to do in-vac landings with these... But you do want to try Eve ascent with these. :wink:

SxOvOb9.png

A bunch of J-81s on the first craft and J-60s on the second craft in spoiler.

The J-81 Nacelles are nearly as OP as Dark Drive (which is actually very OP but it's very good that it is...what great parts mod doesn't have an ultimate engine in it somewhere?). The J-81 are both air engines with amazing power and LFO engines with Isp of 2000s and will replace Rapier-Nuke clusters by themselves.

J-60 ScreamJets expand and become larger than Mk2 at the business end whereas the J81 can fit inside a Mk2 fuselage and nobody would ever know it's there. They're as wonderful as any other OPT air engine but they have built-in tankage so you don't have to dig for and add as many (or any) separate tanks for them but just add a Mk2 intake on the forward end.

Spoiler

TBg49J1.png

TcdvTnE.jpg

I think you're using the term inline incorrectly. There are no inline engines. There are many radial and surface attachable engines.

4 hours ago, flyguybc said:

this small inline scramjet

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/478488screenshot710.png

This one? That's the J-61 Starwaster TurboRamjet. This one is possibly the 3rd most OP engine. Since its very light and very small on top of being no less powerful, it will get you a date with the kraken if the ship it's attached to is also really small. I have two Mk2 planes (shown in OP of this thread) whose TWR can pass 10 because they have two of this engine and are not meant to reach the Mun.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Sorry I mean to say linear. Like this.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospike_engine

So I need to download the legacy pack, got it.

Degenerate I would definitely love a copy of your craft files, sans the RCS if that's ok (I've got enough mods running as is lol)  They look great!

So the J-92 is good atmosphere engine.  The ARI have amazing thrust but eat fuel, not as good in space.  

Dark Drive and J81 (linear) are the OP air and space engines. J61 is the small linear also very powerful.

J60 seems to be in between them all if I'm reading right?

Love the information guys!! I'm gonna have fun building this weekend!  

@flyguybc While looking through the files to see all the engines I did realize the J Linear Aerospike is missing. Strange... I rarely use it but its absence matters to me. There is more than one release within v1.9. The changelog mentions updates to that engine plus an alt of the JQS cockpit without intakes so we must be out of date.

The J81 and J61 are not "linear" engines. They are respectively simply rocket/hybrid and air engines. There are mk2 linear aerospikes around but not in OPT.

You're good to go, though. :D

I'll add what I know of other engines to the post.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar You reminded me of something here. The J Linear Aerospike is indeed not missing, but it ended up in a wrong build category. I need to report this to K.Yeon. :wink:

Yup it is in the Aerospace manufacturer tab and not in the propulsion science manufacturer tab.

Edited by Flashblade

Well, I managed to snag this screenshot before the Aero Overlay utterly crashed my game. (Hint: do not hit F12 in this version of KSP, it crashes your game inevitably.)

I call this an Estale Class ship, mostly a play on Stail. :P

J4fxsPw.jpg

It's completely successful making it to Kerbin orbit largely in part to the four hybrid rocket J-81s. Those things are SERIOUSLY powerful, I hope we get a revised version in the main pack eventually. They kick butt.

The other three engines are two J-61 Starwasters and a J-92.

If anyone's wondering, I used the Stail drone core at the front, used a Stail-to-2.5m adapter, then a OPT-J-to-2.5m adapter and sunk the J adapter towards the front to get that ultra-sleek curve. :)

Ohhhh. I see what you did there. @Ohm Machre For a bit I kept reading Estate. :) Looks and sounds like a commercial airliner.

I've only begun to use those things (J81). They ought to have a more obvious indication that they're nearly as epic as Dark Drive and maybe just a little less Isp. I don't play Career so I don't know if they're comfortably very high on the tech tree.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

qI9WIaU.jpgzII3keb.jpg6DRcl77.jpgdcDGc7v.jpgKhyJY36.jpgsP6gDb4.jpg

In what I'm dubbing the Whale Class Cargo Transport, I have made a very nice flying ship. I haven't tested it under load, but it uses the Humpback Legacy parts for cargo bays, and I'm likely to make ones using the J and K forms as well. Powered by two J-60s, four J-61s, and four J-81s, it's as simple as point at the 15, and fly. I prefer to put it at 50% throttle until ~300m/s, then 2/3s throttle thereafter. I also need to do some fuel balancing, as it's still rather light on just LiqFuel for how many engines are being powered.

Edited by Ohm Machre

Girlfriend went away for the week to work, I can finally get some time in on KSP again... :)

My kerbal expanse is in full fledge and I had a need for a new larger way of transporting crew.
I don't use rockets unless it's to haul up rocket parts to build stuff in orbit, so SSTO was the only way to go for me.
I've not made up a name for this one yet, but it's a Juno class SSTO that can carry 6 kerbals in the cockpit and 40 more in passenger modules.
It has 9k dV if refueled in LKO, honestly can't remember the dV left if you fly it there because my OPT crafts have a habit of dancing tango if you try to change direction with them and I couldn't be arsed to get a proper reading in again, but 6k dV+ sounds more than fair.