Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Fabulous. :D@stali79. I've been getting ideas to do a conquest using more OPT spaceplanes. I'll add Nations Thunder to my list of things to try out. Also, what does ISC mean?

No idea lol. I use Champagne Bottle for all my naming, and of all the prefixes it generates ISC is the only one I like.

EDIT: would love to know who is uploading my ships on kerbalx and claiming they are theirs lol

Edited by stali79

Ever since I started playing KSP this has been in the hangar, growing like a tree, the flagship HMS Materia, third generation of the "Great Dark" concept ship it started from. This is the ship I've been hiding since I started this thread. :cool: It contains OPT parts 1.8.1.2 for KSP 1.1.3 and has 4 variants, each with a unique purpose:

• The reference build;
  • Deep space exploration;
  • Jool 5 and OPM conquest;
  • Duna colonization.

xUwtOPI.jpg

nZtA1ku.jpg

TH14KKl.jpg

In Low Bop Orbit (with some extra cabins)

It's very well able to land and liftoff at Duna but will never survive a Tylo/Laythe landing. The fourth generation is now basically complete but doesn't yet have a specific purpose. Due to some very different circumstances the 4th gen ship no longer needs more than 2 Dark Drives.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Legacy Pack 1.0.3.5 uploading to Spacedock. - NO changes made just version update for 1.2.2

Please note: Bundled ships are NOT to be uploaded to KerbalX or anywhere else without MY permission (Legacy Pack) or @K.Yeon's Permission (OPT Main Pack). Doing so breaches the license, one of you has already done this and I would like you to remove the craft from KerbalX immediately, you know who you are.

Hello!

After spending ages on perfecting my LongSword S.S.T.O, I developed a fantastic variant.

This is the LongSword Mark 12 Variant, the best iteration ever produced!

Changes from Previous Released Version:

2 New Wing Mounted Air Breathing Engines.

2 New Wing Mounted Fuel Tanks for New Engines.

2 New Wing Mounted Air Intakes.

1 Experimental J Cargo Bay Added.

Wing Size Increased from 160% to 200%.

New Gear Positioning and Break Torques.

New 2 Hidden Fuel Tanks between RAPIERS.

Repositioned Vertical Stabilizers.

Take-Off Speed brought to 100 m/s.

4 Fuel Valves for Dumping Excess Fuel.

Better positioning of AirBrake Systems.

2 New Engine Mounted Small Docking Ports (For Ground Refueling).

Better alignment for the Air Intakes mounted on the wing's engine fuselage.

Maximum Speed under 100,000M Altitude = 1600 m/s.

Maximum Cruise Velocity under 100,000M Alt = 875 m/s.

Air Intake Value Increased to Astonishing: 22

(+ Overall Aesthetic Improvements to Hull)

H0hSRpn.jpg

9Wcj6IT.jpg

ajzEduU.jpg

SmDd2ou.jpg

ZDTEEgw.jpg

2K2PA54.png

Wl2RbVz.png

v6IZuuz.png

H9dKLje.png

If anyone wants it, I can upload it.

My OPT Showcase gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/112822178@N08/6XF101

OPT-J Single Stage To Orbit/Surface Multirole Spaceplane : http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/Denko666/crafts/1015

Use with:

WBI Deep Space Exploration Vessel 'Esperanza' for interplanetary travel: http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/Denko666/crafts/1019

OPT 'Avatar' SSTO Orbital Delivery Shuttle: http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/Denko666/crafts/1016

OPT 'Humpback' SSTO Planetary Delivery Shuttle: http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/Denko666/crafts/1017

Edited by Denko666
additional info

I have been anticipating this moment a ton!!! I wanted to upgrade my baby for quite some time. But unfortunately the time had not come, but know with the test-release of the new official OPT MK2 engine in the main pack this has changed.

So I proudly present to you now the:

STARDANCER MK3

BLQU1A0.jpg

Looking like the Phoenix the cockpit is named after, engulfed in flames!

jJYIGhX.jpg

Ready for take-off on the South Pole Station runway of Kerbinside.

More pictures in the gallery!

The part count has increased from 78 to over a 100 and a lot of that is cosmetics, but not all of it. This new version now removed the OPT J Linear Aerospike in favor of the OPT J engine mount, two OPT ARIs and 2 stock NERVA and of course the Legacy scramjets have been replaced with the brand spanking new experimental OPT HAE-02 Advanced Scramjets. The added weight of the atomic engines made it a necessity to place the wings farther in the back. I tried to get the empty COM in front of the COL but that was not meant to be, so she requires fuel management. The frontal OPT J Fuel Tank 4m needs to contain at least 1000 units of oxidizer to keep the COM on the COL while every other tank is empty else she will become unstable and will want to re-enter retrograde. The stock aero brakes have been replaced with the big ones from B9 Aerospace because of there more advantageous form factor which is less likely to hit the runway on take-off or landing.

The really new feature of the Mark 3 is a full set of secondary control surfaces. The inner control surfaces next to the OPT HAE-02 Advanced Scramjet have been converted to flaps and the front of the wings has been equipped with a full set of slats. This helps her low-speed performance on take-off and landing.

She always has been and she always will be nothing short of a smashing success. Her take-off speed is fairly low with about 90 m/s (no payload) and her landing speed is also great with about 80 m/s. She has been designed with FAR in mind and believe you me she flies like a dream with FAR (I am testing the dev build right now and help ferram4 getting the next release out). This is the final iteration. She will be rebuild when KSP patches make it a necessary but I don't think there is anything I can optimize on her.

I also found out that there is a better way to equip her for a science mission than to remove the cargo bay and use the OPT science modul. Placing the stock science module in the cargo bay allows you to even fit instruments and experiments inside as well, so a special science variant is not required. :cool:

She will be released on KerbalX together with other crafts I have created as soon as FAR is updated.

Mods used: OPT, B9 Aerospace, B9 Procedural, Parts, Aviation Lights, RealChute Parachute System

Edited by Flashblade
Missing mod list!

1 hour ago, mechanicH said:

@stali79 For some reason its telling me that im missing mk2 opt engine on Feral Moon, but i have OPT and M2X  mods installed ..  is there some other mod your using on there that is not registering on Kerbal X 

There's a new Mk2 engine, the HAE-02 Advanced Scramjet (still in dev state and separate download) to fill in for the J-61 in the main pack. Stali's craft contains this engine. Be advised, it's heavier and has a different power curve and won't behave like the other jet engines when used by itself.

9u6HFyM.pngbnYaRLn.png

4 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

Ok so I have a really sweet OPT space plane.  The only thing is it uses personally modified Scramjets to be multi mode nuclear scram jets with buckets more thrust.  So not sure if it counts for showing here.

Well be modest/reasonable about your tunings then. :sticktongue: Still show your craft, though. Inspire us.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, mechanicH said:

@stali79 For some reason its telling me that im missing mk2 opt engine on Feral Moon, but i have OPT and M2X  mods installed ..  is there some other mod your using on there that is not registering on Kerbal X 

Its the new engine @K.Yeon posted in the main forum a couple days ago, he provided a download link then.

Here  is my OPT SSTO tanker K87 - 680T on take off, liquid fuel only to orbit. Carrying more than 13 Rockomax Jumbo 64 Liquid fuel. 6600DV Left and 70% liquid fuel in 600km orbit.

4 J61 Starwaster, 2 big 2.6m at the rear 2 smaller 1.9m at the front make it highly maneuverable with a COM not too far backwards. Take off and landing speed at full take off weight is 105m/s.

Initial climb to orbit with 45°Pitch to 10 kms.

4 MRS Quad nuclear engines to finish climb to orbit and use in VAC: 2 Big 3.0m rear and 2 2.5m at the front..... 

8 main gears 6 wheels and 4 repackable chutes for very short landing distance. Landing V/S not more than 3m/s, be very smart on flaring....

1 docking port and thrusters to for docking.

Cockpit Vernors to help high AOA on re-entry.

Tested to be stable in pitch and yaw in the whole flight enveloppe with Correct COL mod and tested in flight too.

Next plan on same family is to equipped with Ore Drill and converter and a Hold to carry my AESV

212824OPTtankerK87.jpg

Take off and climb

Spoiler

584814screenshot227.png

210544screenshot230.png

Approach

Spoiler

905623screenshot232.png

840202screenshot234.png

Short final and flare

Spoiler

170154screenshot236.png

317543screenshot237.png

Landing

Spoiler

226224screenshot239.png

780775screenshot240.png

Initial climb to orbit

Spoiler

215348screenshot242.png

Acceleration

Spoiler

737298screenshot246.png

Running on Nuke

Spoiler

599554screenshot247.png

Jeb is so small, going to repack

Spoiler

214905screenshot253.png

Short Vid Maneuvrability

Edited by gilflo

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

There's a new Mk2 engine, the HAE-02 Advanced Scramjet (still in dev state and separate download) to fill in for the J-61 in the main pack. Stali's craft contains this engine. Be advised, it's heavier and has a different power curve and won't behave like the other jet engines when used by itself.

9u6HFyM.pngbnYaRLn.png

Well be modest/reasonable about your tunings then. :sticktongue: Still show your craft, though. Inspire us.

Thanks for linking man, I only just got on my pc and linking like that from a phone is annoying.  I used this engine because I wanted to at least TRY to have a ship that doesn't rely on the older more powerful engines.

1 hour ago, stali79 said:

Thanks for linking man, I only just got on my pc and linking like that from a phone is annoying.  I used this engine because I wanted to at least TRY to have a ship that doesn't rely on the older more powerful engines.

You're welcome. I guess that explains the presence of MkIV 2.5m engines. I have not been able to use KSP lately but my grand test for this engine is to see how capable the NOX Crown can get in atmosphere with this instead of its scrams from Mk2 expansion, and maybe also instead of its J-61s.

4 hours ago, gilflo said:

Here  is my OPT SSTO tanker K87 - 680T on take off, liquid fuel only to orbit.

Your ship is nothing short of sheer engineering marvel. :rep: I'm lost for words anytime I see this thing. Now there's a video. :0.0:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You're welcome. I guess that explains the presence of MkIV 2.5m engines. I have not been able to use KSP lately but my grand test for this engine is to see how capable the NOX Crown can get in atmosphere with this instead of its scrams from Mk2 expansion, and maybe also instead of its J-61s.

They are Broadword engines, forget which mod they are from, but nice beefy dual mode engines

Was bored, so I downloaded and installed Galileo's planet pack and decided to build a long range Karborundum powered science vessel...

(The images were taken during testing on my less modded install without Galileo's Planet Pack)

She might look strange, but performs very very well.  

Those black tanks are actually modded to carry ore, there are 2 x karborundum drills, and 2 x ore drills on the back right below 2 cargo bays that are attached to the bi-coupler. The 2 cargo bays house 2 small rovers, the Karborundum tanks.... and some other stuff.

She is powered by 4 x large and 4 x smaller karborundum Torch drives and the 4 tanks and pylons can be jettisoned transforming this large lander into a giant powered glider that I have successfully landed at the KSC many times.

It's so much fun... yes I added laser guns... :)

DqPto1X.jpg

EXqhjjY.jpg

Edited by TheKurgan

New babe, coming from K87 family. It's the OPT Tanker S81 with a lab and ability to drill

680T - 81 T of fuel - 1 Avatar Hold with 4 big Ore drills, 1 converter 2, small Ore tanks. 2 science Junior 9001, 4 Myst Goo...

1 OPT J lab

Very Maneuverable. Should be around 6000dv in orbit

170273screenshot255.png

493011screenshot256.png

Futur plan to fit with ejectable Rockets to launch from Rocket pad and save DV

Stumbled upon this thread earlier and decided to DL the mod and make a few test craft:

1) The (Gravity) WellJumper, a personal transport SSTO able to quickly make orbit straight off the runway due to the twin shcramjets in the rear.
cA9CLaB.png
PoF9QoY.png

2) Big Bertha, a large (though by this thread's standards, small :P) cargo SSTO with a rear ramp and Shuttle-inspired overall design.
OzCu1mJ.png
1gnjKc2.png
^Works quite well on Laythe, though shortly after this screenshot was taken I pulled a bit too hard one way on the stick and the Gs took off my wings and engines. :(

3) A large lifting-body passenger SSTO inspired by Interstellar's Ranger vehicles.
d3vD4Gl.png
O8HrSgl.png

Even though I normally play with stock craft (save for the occasional dabbling with BDArmory and utilization of visual enhancement mods), I'm definitely keeping OPT installed on my copy of KSP.
Those K-size cargo holds are perfect for hauling the rovers I've been fixing up out to Laythe and other far-flung places!

On 12/5/2016 at 1:57 PM, stali79 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Introducing the ISC Nations Thunder Cargo Variant.  4 Successful Launches and 4 successful landings. Now available on KerbalX

[SNIP]

Oh wow, was this hilariously easy to get into orbit or what?

I made some changes (basically, I flipped the cargo bays the right side up and put some solar panels on it since the power supplies in the cargo bay were in the way), added an AR-202, stuck a Big Orange Tank  with some bits to make it a satellite in there, and let MechJeb take me to a 250 km orbit - with 75-80% fuel remaining in the craft. The hardest part was keeping it straight on the runway, which appears to be problematic for any spaceplane right now.

Now I just have to figure out how to get down... :)

Glad you like her! Having the bays positioned ventrally is more of a personal preference for me. As for bringing her down, set your periapses to 30km, 45 degree nose up on descent. Once speed is down to about 1200ms then set prograde and deploy airbrakes. Depending on how far from the ksc you are you can fly happily at 900ms until you clear the mountain range and then tell mechjeb to autoland

Not sure wy she wont stay straight on the runway...

Edited by stali79

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.