Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

@Raideur Ng lol. You'll have to design them with some kind of attachment point on the front and/or back and mount inflatable heatshields. I haven't done any actual Tellumo mission (spending all my time in GPP troubleshooting something or another) so sadly I have no other advice to give.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried something...after thinking about it (but not thinking to google a proper reference) all day.

A Normandy-alike with plenty room to stuff stuff into. It's currently missing forward/reverse RCS engines, VTOL maybe, and legs/wheels for landings.

0LOsrOu.jpg

Spoiler

It was first built with different parts for the midsection below). When I changed those parts out  for the top pic version it hit me (as the ship repeatedly crumbled between the launch clamps)... The more beautiful Humpback body parts are lacking in joint strength. :/ So... More struts!

7gIakIh.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Another spur-of-the-moment interplanetary vessel. This one is a heavy transport and dropship type vessel. It may end up serving only one job: deliver starter supplies (and probes) to a distant target world for off-world construction then sit and serve as a relay boost with its two top-tier stock antennae. It weighs about 260 tons and not all of its tank parts hold fuel but just enough to start at 20km/s dV with nothing aboard except maybe 6 tons of life support resources (I had Snacks! installed at the time of making this). 

e3XiZsC.jpg

ZLBJl2l.jpg GLvx2qC.jpg 1yARkDG.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 7:50 PM, docthaspok said:

Work in Progress Interplanetary SSTO

BDbvenE.jpg

Same here...with USI Life Support and room for a large rover. :) I like your answer to the question "How can I -not- have the Dark Drive hang off the back and drag the CoM so darn far?!"

There are Ore and Karbonite drills, Convert-O-Tron, and a Vector all underneath for gentle nose-down on touchdown, and some tiny nuclear reactors for the outer planet it'll be visiting.

There's a little tweakscale in it too (the rear stabilizers for pitch and roll). And no air-breathing engines here. In Galileo's Planet Pack there are 3 planets with atmosphere within the reach of this plane, but only 2 of which it can enter. Two is still plenty, and air-breathing engines are useless in both of those so I've chosen the ARI-75s to be the ascent phase engines. (I chose not to use the J-81 for the ascent engines because that might make things too easy, and there's plenty room for them on other spaceplanes.)

In particular, I finally have a major use for the ARI-75. There'd be more screenshots but I found myself going bug-hunting as a dev. :/ 

6cuGAKk.jpg

KHuMou7.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, V8jester said:

I am just happy as a clam to see someone interested enough in one of my designs to build it on there own! Really nice work man!

Ive tried to copy a few of yours that hx space plane is in the works, just have to lessen the explosions....

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Hey, more Karborundum Quest! :D 

lots more coming, im trying to get upto date with the weeks worth of video i recorded :P 

@Space Kadet Ahh, that's great. I'm pretty saddened by your MKS problem, though. If you share that video in the MKS thread I'm sure you'll get a few quick and good answers.

Here's another eccentric design from me, an Ekranoplan (ground effect vehicle)...ignoring the fact that KSP doesn't model ground effect. This my first thing worth launching that contains the new H fuselage. :)

This craft cruises at 80m/s on just its Goliath engines in water, and needs its J-61s one for a moment for enough acceleration to leave the water's surface. It can quite possibly sail the seven seas in the water or right above it at > 70m/s.

I think it needs more wing surface in front as it can't glide at < 60m/s. Splashdown is very hard and it's a gamble to not lose any parts, namely the Goliaths in front.

Qr08Vld.jpg

QyNmmik.jpg thBz1VF.jpg

@SufficientAnonymity That's a splendid concept you have there. I miss playing with Lithium engines. So is the dropship a sister-ship or daughter-ship? :D I assume one is treated as a drone most of the time and the crew mostly inhabits the other? And lastly, what's their dV ratio like when fully loaded.

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@SufficientAnonymity That's a splendid concept you have there. I miss playing with Lithium engines. So is the dropship a sister-ship or daughter-ship? :D I assume one is treated as a drone most of the time and the crew mostly inhabits the other? And lastly, what's their dV ratio like when fully loaded.

Sister ship, both something in the region of 15k km/s dV off the top of my head

Random Gundam-inspired freighter. It's currently got 11km/s dV and loads of ability to hold and haul stuff (maximum use of KH hollow fuselage here). But damn, I should've built with two KH cargo bays a side (for hatch clearance) for stuff to slip in or out through. clearly, though, since this is inspired by Gundam, it's better for making into a battleship than a civilian freighter.

12HXbNG.jpg

EIcfsfl.jpg

TXl9Fje.jpg

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Random Gundam-inspired freighter. It's currently got 11km/s dV and loads of ability to hold and haul stuff (maximum use of KH hollow fuselage here). But damn, I should've built with two KH cargo bays a side (for hatch clearance) for stuff to slip in or out through. clearly, though, since this is inspired by Gundam, it's better for making into a battleship than a civilian freighter.

12HXbNG.jpg

EIcfsfl.jpg

TXl9Fje.jpg

You do realize that 1 shot from a beam rifle and it will go boom :P

Just now, stali79 said:

Yeah but no battleship

What class should it be/would survive by design then? :wink: That aside, I'd like to see an actual laser blast splatter a large ship about the sky in KSP

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

What class should it be/would survive by design then? :wink: That aside, I'd like to see an actual laser blast splatter a large ship about the sky in KSP

no ship in the gundam univers survives a beam rifle shot lol

I like to build huge Battlestar/ floating weapons platforms in space, put them on autopilot with the BDA autopilot module, then attack it with a single Viper. The auto pilot won't fly it in space, but it WILL definitely shoot back :) 

It's fun when you are bored.

GPGT Station assuming polar orbit  via a little :radial: around Icarus, Galileo's innermost planet, and preparing to run surface scans.

@TheKurgan I remember your Karborundum spaceplane. The spaceplane here, and the rover also run on Karborundum....but that is not why this craft is here.

9VudVLg.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.