Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

About the new WarpJet series engines introduced in OPT Legacy v1.0.7. Skip the spoiler if you don't like reading. :P 

Spoiler

So many considerations and a handful of existing things went into these that they are considered more advanced than the Dark Drive and are placed at a higher tech node than it in the CTT. The WarpJet engines should be (by design) hard to use, and are not for the newbie player who just wants new OP engines to play with. While they are hard to use, they are just as rewarding in atmosphere as the Dark Drive is in space and are intended for use in up-scaled solar systems and RSS, and in solar systems with many de-Oxygenated atmospheres.

The SURGE: Sidelong Undulating Respirating Gauss Engine (from the J-60 ScreamJet) is the flagship engine, powerful in every situation where any other jet engine would be powerless, and specialized for heavy lifting. The R in SURGE reflects its eccentric tankage for IntakeAtm. It can effectively "hold its breath" and delay the flameout of itself and any other engines that require IntakeAtm, namely the SAGE.

The SAGE: Stratosphere Accentuated Gauss Engine (from the J-61 Starwaster) is the compact and economic option, suitable as a booster and has a performance envelope quite akin to a true SCRAMjet such as the X-43 Hyperblast engine in Mk2 Expansion.

I'm looking forward to seeing any epic screenshots of creations of yours that take advantage of WarpJets. :) 

Now the actual showroom part. The links lead to KerbalX.

The F-81 and F-81 Heavy SSTA sport craft. Easily replace the forward service bay for a cabin. The F-81 has just one SURGE but the F-81 Heavy has 2 SURGE engines and can return from Eve. It carries no extra LF for air-breathing mode.
zblXRme.jpg E1EdpHr.jpg

Avatar's SURGE Freighter type with 4 SURGE and 2 SAGE. Unfortunately I have not measured its payload rating. If an extra pair of SAGE engines can be placed well, it should still have the TWR (and not out-balance the reactors) to carry a desirable large payload to orbit.
gEex9ok.jpg

SAGE Commercial Luxury airliner, globetrotter and SSTO with 2 SAGE. This one stalls very well and can land on the tiniest of islands without taking damage. Not tested taking off from water, but the ARI-75 engines should make that doable.
TRQEBti.jpg

ls69WyW.jpg moy4Qx7.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this here.  I've been told that 2.5x GPP is where it's at, so I made the appropriate changes to play at that scale.  Haven't had time for any proper playing, but I'm super proud for having built my 2nd and 3rd ever SSTOs ever!  Pictures in the spoiler are from the 3rd iteration.

Spoiler

T2vATla.jpg

xJcZRtO.jpg

DCZOhlv.jpg

I happened to get some inspiration from EJ_SA and his Avatar Valkyrie project the other night, and built myself one. It's very rare that I build an interplanetary spaceplane, mainly because I refrain from using OPT's J-81 or Dark Drive engines. Ignoring my great fondness for life support, this could be a grand tour plane--well except to the likes of Eve.

With no cargo and no pit stop after ascent it has 8km/s in vacuum on main engines but only 1300m/s on VTOL, and enough TWR either way to defeat Tylo. It may become my official surface to moon transport in 2.5x.

vv2aVcH.jpg

F90E6m8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

TbyjUpM.png

This is my take on a 'tramp freighter' type ship akin to the Serenity or the Millennium Falcon.  It uses the torch drives from the Karbonite mod and has over 200,000m/s of Delta V.  It's also a VTOL, when I can get Throttle controlled avionics to work and not try to make me hover in one place forever.  (I wonder how long I could hover with 220,000m/s Delta V). Anywho, it's a tad anemic in the forward thrust department with a full tank of water (fuel) and to be entirely honest I haven't tested it to orbit yet.  The RPish idea is that the 18 VTOL engines are the main engines for orbital maneuvers, so they can provide acceleration based gravity for the crew.  Oh, and I'm using FAR because otherwise the drag would make it all a sad joke.  Surprisingly it has a pretty decent cross section profile line thingy.

• 3 weeks later...

A small 100T OPT VTOL for fun. Around 16000DV in HTOL but far less in VTOL
4 rotation J61 engines
869475screenshot606.png
in VTOL position Dry COG and Full COG are similar
549435screenshot607.png
It is super manœuvrable, and much more with some front wing like this model....
164330screenshot608.png

Can be use with or without TCA
But I am not familiar with VTOL flight. Even with a perfectly balance aircraft, use of take of power is stable until 200m whatever is the number of reaction shells in use, then , the aircraft flips back.

But it is easy to change from VTOL to HTOL before 200 m and to continue in straight flight. landing is easier, playing with Throttle.

Looking at this vid is better than long words....

About VTOL is there any threads on VTOL construction and VTOL flight?

I'll be happy to get some advise....

Edited by gilflo

The first official and active SSTO for my 2.5x main game. At stock scale is likely quite able to do a Duna landing, but it's not proven to work well on the likes of Duna.

It's a low orbit retriever for 2.5m payloads and a high orbit science plane, with capacity for its small crew to keep themselves entertained for possibly the whole flight.

WyEtiOS.jpg

EagleStar return from Laythe: atmospheric Re-entry and landing on runway 09 at Kerbin with Explorer jet docked on main deck.

503T for landing........it was perfect.....

and here

Edited by gilflo

SSTO heavy cargo lifter (revision 1)

This vehicle did carry 37 tones of cargo (although with additional external jettisonable tanks) into low orbit. Not so hot. Main engines are two BROADSWORDs. I cannot tell exact deltav or TWR because those engines are bugged. Nosecone is an openable docking port. Requires Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. 

I just realised this is Mark IV and not OPT J/K design but I assume posting this is fine anyway. :) 

QFqbtB1.jpg

rS9vdfS.jpg

SSTO heavy cargo lifter (revision 2)

This vehicle did carry 50 tones of cargo (no external tanks) into low orbit. It does not look amazing with a cargo hold only 1/3 of its fuselage but it does carry a lot of mass. This is important when you use KSTS mod. Only mass of payload matters, not dimensions. Notice that central engines are rotated to counteract torque from sub-wing engies because those engines are below center of mass. Makes a lot of plumes on the runway. 

gd1dGBl.jpg

i3JzBTs.jpg

Spaceplane for explorations of other planets (also dropship)

Not strictly SSTO. It is able to go orbital on its own but that uses entire fuel. If you can refuel in orbit, that is fine. Engine is rocket mode only, but an efficient one. 4600 deltav. No jets. That is why it is not classified as SSTO. Ventral docking port can be used for a dropship role, meaning it flies over few meters above mun surface and drop off cargo or a rover and fly away. See last screenshot for that.

xWEpE5D.jpg

d7qsNII.jpg

ysNzRtn.jpg

10 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

My new UltraStar-1 SSTO (with mk4 fuselage from nertea), it has an orbital Dv of over 6000m/s and has an ISRU functionallity

Could you post diagonal photos (can be from editor)? What you posted are essentially projections which are not so useful. Also TWR would be informative together with DV. Thats because those two are in classic tradeoff. I can make your plane have 30'000 deltav by replacing those engines with Experimental Dark Drives but it wont be able to take off ground. I would also like to point out, for everyone on the thread, that if you screenshot it in the editor then you can include Redux/builtin info pages which say much more than DV/TWR about the ship. But thats just how I do it. 

PS. points for ISRU :wink:  my SSTO has only one mission and that is delivering cargo into low orbit, therefore no use for ISRU 

HINT. you could use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to get rid of struts, if you like

14 minutes ago, agrock said:

Could you post diagonal photos (can be from editor)? What you posted are essentially projections which are not so useful. Also TWR would be informative together with DV. Thats because those two are in classic tradeoff. I can make your plane have 30'000 deltav by replacing those engines with Experimental Dark Drives but it wont be able to take off ground. I would also like to point out, for everyone on the thread, that if you screenshot it in the editor then you can include Redux/builtin info pages which say much more than DV/TWR about the ship. But thats just how I do it. 

PS. points for ISRU :wink:  my SSTO has only one mission and that is delivering cargo into low orbit, therefore no use for ISRU 

HINT. you could use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to get rid of struts, if you like

this doesn't read too politely, might wanna reword it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.