Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

34 minutes ago, agrock said:

Could you post diagonal photos (can be from editor)? What you posted are essentially projections which are not so useful. Also TWR would be informative together with DV. Thats because those two are in classic tradeoff. I can make your plane have 30'000 deltav by replacing those engines with Experimental Dark Drives but it wont be able to take off ground. I would also like to point out, for everyone on the thread, that if you screenshot it in the editor then you can include Redux/builtin info pages which say much more than DV/TWR about the ship. But thats just how I do it. 

PS. points for ISRU :wink:  my SSTO has only one mission and that is delivering cargo into low orbit, therefore no use for ISRU 

HINT. you could use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to get rid of struts, if you like

Ah, doesn't matter now though, i've effectively replaced it by it's sucessor since the US-1 just wasn't easy to land anywhere, it's succesor the US-2 is much more efficiently built but has nowhere near as much crew space, but it did get VTOL functionallity for low gravity bodies though, i do use KJR but i find that it doesn't help enough to warrant the removal of struts (maybe my KJR doesnt work well? i dunno)

Aside from that, part count is less than half of the US-1, this is a career mode craft though, i haven't yet unlocked the dark drive nor the SURGE warpjet jet

dRseL1s.jpg

Here the VTOL engines and the monstrous drill are exposed, the UltraStar-2 has similar Dv to its predesessor but has loads more lift, allowing it to take off at just 80m/s fully loaded (the US-1 couldn't even take off without the drop off the runway)

ZQ6fpKM.jpg

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

@BRAAAP_STUTUTU   I appologise for wording, please consider my text partially withdrawn...

What VTOL engienes are those? I wanted to put something on my mothership but only thing I could find was stock Thud (need inline VTOL but rocket, not electric).

HINT. you can use TweakScale to upsize airbreaks instead of adding several

Edited by agrock

15 hours ago, agrock said:

@BRAAAP_STUTUTU   I appologise for wording, please consider my text partially withdrawn...

What VTOL engienes are those? I wanted to put something on my mothership but only thing I could find was stock Thud (need inline VTOL but rocket, not electric).

HINT. you can use TweakScale to upsize airbreaks instead of adding several

the one on the rear is the vector engine and the one in the front is a similar but less powerful engine from a space shuttle mod, i don't use tweakscale, it just seems a bit cheaty to me.

1 hour ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Well, with kerbalatomics installed, making an interplanetary SSTO is pretty much impossible without OPT since the Nerva uses LH2 or lf but with 200 less isp...

most of my ssto's end up with 6k dv left after taking 20 ton cargo to orbit, and i have kerb atomics and all that fun installed :P 

1 hour ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Show me that witchcraft!

i doff my cap in appoligies, mine arent straight opt, i have the legacy engines :D  i can only get 2k in orbit without.

but if you want some fun here you go i think tweak scale in needed for the first, definatly for the second. and the second is the lander in the video!tac needed for both.

the crew transport, 10 k dv left in 120k orbit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvr9hfq8v07nq59/OPT x.craft?dl=0

100 ton to orbit, 2.4k dv left at 90k orbit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il77l61imcxb93j/opt A.craft?dl=0

heavy ssto's landing on laythe

4 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

i doff my cap in appoligies, mine arent straight opt, i have the legacy engines :D  i can only get 2k in orbit without.

but if you want some fun here you go i think tweak scale in needed for the first, definatly for the second. and the second is the lander in the video!tac needed for both.

the crew transport, 10 k dv left in 120k orbit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvr9hfq8v07nq59/OPT x.craft?dl=0

100 ton to orbit, 2.4k dv left at 90k orbit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il77l61imcxb93j/opt A.craft?dl=0

heavy ssto's landing on laythe

Ah, but i use the OPT legacy engines too, (nonetheless still pretty OP)

4 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Ah, but i use the OPT legacy engines too, (nonetheless still pretty OP)

yup, but SOO MUCH FUN thow i dont make use of interplanetary ssto's i always make motherships and dropcraft. and nowadays those engine are close to the end of the tech tree....

36 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

i doff my cap in appoligies, mine arent straight opt, i have the legacy engines

OPT Legacy is still OPT. Currently all of OPT Legacy's parts are still the handiwork of the OPT main developer (well, except the blade antenna).

4 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Well, with kerbalatomics installed, making an interplanetary SSTO is pretty much impossible without OPT since the Nerva uses LH2 or lf but with 200 less isp...

I don't know what the deal there is, since I never used Kerbal Atomics. Despite that, I've only made one OPT spaceplane fully able to land on one planet then the next... And I never used it. I have much more fun modding and designing a craft than flying it.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

OPT Legacy is still OPT. Currently all of OPT Legacy's parts are still the handiwork of the OPT main developer (well, except the blade antenna).

I don't know what the deal there is, since I never used Kerbal Atomics. Despite that, I've only made one OPT spaceplane fully able to land on one planet then the next... And I never used it. I have much more fun modding and designing a craft than flying it.

I know its all still opt, but the legacy engines are a tad OP, not that im complaining, you know how i love them. but some people like their hard fun.

As for kerbal atomics, it lowers the ISO  on LF but makes it more efficient when running on lh2. Hard to interface nuclear engines with opt (but not impossible).

Personally i like how it all fits, it doesn't make it too easy, and at the beginning of a career its still challenging! (and the end too with the 100 ton loads i haul :P 

My last OPT, an SSTO OPT Carrier with the K fuselage. It is carrying 3 AESV on the deck and 1 reckon Satellite in the cargo.A ble to dispatch AESV modules to Man or Minmus and return, still in development for further exploration

AESV are Autonomous Exploration and Science vehicles, that come with 4 Nuke rotating engines (VTOL take off/landing and HTOL propulsion for non atmospheric planets), a lab and all science stuff, Ore drills and converter. And 5-6000DV. They cannot leave or enter atmosphere without being docked on a carrier.

273111screenshot3.png

22 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

most of my ssto's end up with 6k dv left after taking 20 ton cargo to orbit, and i have kerb atomics and all that fun installed :P 

Using experimental Dark Drives, SSTO this size has ~40'000 deltav with full tanks. With a fraction of fuel left, it gets you much deltav left.

13 hours ago, agrock said:

Using experimental Dark Drives, SSTO this size has ~40'000 deltav with full tanks. With a fraction of fuel left, it gets you much deltav left.

Ive never used them,they seem way too cheaty for me. Ill stick to the lagacy parts :P

Edited by Space Kadet

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Ive never used them,they seem way too cheaty for me. Ill stick to the lagacy parts :P

The sentiment is shared but I wouldn't let that stop me from using it. Given its description it practically contains forbidden technology or black magic. I would reserve its usage to interplanetary stations or vessels with exotic use cases like a science-grabbing warp-ship or a transport intended to do intense burns and reduce travel times between bodies. That aside, I also hold back from using it because Mk3 and 3.75m parts don't fit my design styles... And I don't like the idea of shrinking it (with TweakScale or any other method) to make it fit my design style.

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The sentiment is shared but I wouldn't let that stop me from using it. Given its description it practically contains forbidden technology or black magic. I would reserve its usage to interplanetary stations or vessels with exotic use cases like a science-grabbing warp-ship or a transport intended to do intense burns and reduce travel times between bodies. That aside, I also hold back from using it because Mk3 and 3.75m parts don't fit my design styles... And I don't like the idea of shrinking it (with TweakScale or any other method) to make it fit my design style.

I share the sentiment... and add that its looks would stop me from using it, even if it had superior stats. I share your need for having a personal design style. There is much about KSP that is just... vanity. In best meaning of the word. 

Edited by agrock

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I use it as a tug and justify it fluff-wise with each drive needing to be tuned to a planetary system via goo samples, and each system only being able to handle one drive.

Another serving of Gundam 00 influence has come. The H.M.S. Tieria (named after one of the main characters, but its form is actually inspired by the Galaxy Quest ship) is an aerodynamically stable and physically incredibly balanced mothership. Its CoM and its heaviest part (great for autostrut) a Near Future Electric 2.5m reactor, are both at the center of the ship's volume. It currently does not need to hold any LFO at all. The long Mk2 cabin and pointy Mk2 tail are from Mk2 Expansion.

The Tieria's propulsion system is x1 GN Drive and x2 GN Condenser Drives. The visible, modified ZZZ Warp Drive runs on GN Particles and the green Mk2 bands are custom GN Caps (tanks + chargers).

mGxdDQq.jpg

UWrKjN3.jpg nATXzvq.jpg yGFGHNO.jpg quERwYE.jpg

@JadeOfMaar  I admit that I took a look at GN mod, even installed it, but never got to actually using it. I cant tell if GN drives are actually of any use, oped, or nerfed. But as a Gundam fan, and Galaxy Quest kinda-fan too, I have to admit it looks nicey. Some days ago it occured to me, now that we have GN drives, all we need is... a gundam cockpit. Someone model us a cockpit! One that fits the GN drives...

Some idea for you... a gundam would be difficult in KSP, but how about building Ptolemy? 

Edited by agrock

7 hours ago, agrock said:

@JadeOfMaar  I admit that I took a look at GN mod, even installed it, but never got to actually using it. I cant tell if GN drives are actually of any use, oped, or nerfed. But as a Gundam fan, and Galaxy Quest kinda-fan too, I have to admit it looks nicey. Some days ago it occured to me, now that we have GN drives, all we need is... a gundam cockpit. Someone model us a cockpit! One that fits the GN drives...

Some idea for you... a gundam would be difficult in KSP, but how about building Ptolemy? 

I believe the GN parts are balanced. As with anything, whether it's OP or not depends on your perspective on mods and what personal standard you set for the use of its parts. Example: players will put 4 GN Drives on a small spaceplane and cry OP! When you really should only have one, and replace the rest with just 1 GN Condenser Drives. Or you build an average size or small spaceplane and put 1 or 2 of any OPT engine on it and cry OP! When OPT plane parts are all big and heavy, and they'd rather jam a dozen Rapiers or Whiplashes on the back, which adds up to exceeding dead weight in space and call THAT "well balanced."

GN thrust isn't measured in kN, it's measured in gravity. You get 1G of thrust for every engine, and can double the thrust if you need to by mashing they key for RCS forward translation. Also, the more massive your ship, the more GN Particles it takes to accelerate or to maintain antigravity.

The following link contains mecha and a GN Sword in KSP ... https://gfycat.com/SilverFlimsyBluetickcoonhound made by @Colonel Cbplayer

Lastly, here's a hovercraft. This goes inside the H.M.S. Tieria. I wanted to use OPT fins instead of stock pieces but I didn't feel like scaling any OPT parts. The antigrav wheels are in Kerbal Foundries. ZA4AICY.jpgXtrUbTu.jpg 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.