Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

I dunno GN drives to me seem more broken than using all the debug cheats combine

Though GN Drives is still useful when you need something to propel your contraption and too lazy to do it legitimately using engines or care about the aesthetic

Also, regarding your robots... Holy Kraken, it's so damn AWESOME!!!:0.0:

1 hour ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

I dunno GN drives to me seem more broken than using all the debug cheats combine

Broken? Nah. The little GN caps are what's broken. The dev is making them (WIP) do something new, but afaik, GN Drives have shown nearly all the expected behavior if you've seen the anime.

I also admire your mech work, and am a Macross fan too. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Abpilot said:

how do you put pictures of your own craft onto the forums if u have steam ksp

i use imgur, thw whole process is use the screen cap key in windows, take the pic and put it on imgue (after opening an account with fbook) and then taking the picture link (the one with the jpg ending) and copying the link into the text box here on the forum, the box will automatacially make the pic show from the link if you have the correct link.

I have no idea what to name this, but it's intended to be a dropship (on Duna-like or airless planets). I've thought of using KH for the main body, not Humpback, so it can actually open on the underside. That super-rare event has come again-- where I build something that has an OPT Dark Drive attached.... I didn't think to try OPT WarpJets and not Deep Sky WarpJets.

It's an STOL/VTOL featuring Deep Sky/Thor Tech aerospike engines on its undersides, and is meant to operate on planets with 0.7g and preferably also an atmosphere (for fuel economy while equipped with WarpJets). If the WarpJets are replaced with OPT J-81 nacelles, it may be perfectly fit for use on the likes of Tylo. However, I really made this plane just for grabbing screenshots so its payload rating is unknown.

The setting is Catullus in Galileo's Planet Pack. It's Eve-like but has just 0.9g, no ocean, and is a borderline gas giant.

Honeyview_screenshot1136.jpg

53 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have no idea what to name this, but it's intended to be a dropship (on Duna-like or airless planets).

How it looks and as a old SciFi freack....

"Corsair" maybe?

This one looks realy like a Invader class dropship for small tactical units... rings "pirates"?:wink:

Love the design especialy wings+engine nacels!

Edited by Urses

Some advancement on the "Corsair" spaceplane today. Finally tried OPT WarpJets on it and had to account for some serious aerodynamic instability that added up due to the change of lift ratings and weight at the back of the craft. Adding on a pair of SAGEs with the SURGEs made it just enough that it has decent TWR at Kerbin sea level and has much less need for VTOL power, and no longer needs the Dark Drive to operate in atmosphere. Without payload it has 12km/s in vacuum. I'll put this on KerbalX later.

j3Qs9yJ.jpg

merzKw1.jpg

Another megaship. Project Mantis.

It cannot land but it is equipped with 2 Dark Drives for main propulsion, 4 J-81 engines for secondary, gimbal and precision thrust if needed, and exosphere scoops from other mods so it can refuel without help from other vessels... The scoops shown here are actually atmosphere and ocean scoops but I may mod them into exospheric.

Project Mantis is also equipped for life support (Snacks) and OSE Workshop and currently has two inline landers that dock at its tail and (currently contain no OPT parts) serve to sustain the crew while staying at a given celestial. Its dV range is unknown but expected to be 14~18km/s.

A9MIcvw.png

10AJGLf.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 4 weeks later...

New short range utility spaceplane, Codename Gray Falcon. As an SSTO it can take a fair payload to possibly a few hundred km altitude. With the droptanks it makes orit with over 3km/s dV. Three legacy ARI-73 on the underside are enough for it to VTOL on Duna. It has a bit of inspiration from my watching Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I might take some more. Inside the cargo bay is a Buffalo cabin, short tank, airlock, and up on the back are Buckboard boxes filled with Lead to counterweight the three VTOL engines for horizontal flight.

The big radial intake is from my mod: Deep Sky Core.

gNc2qzj.jpg

I'm experimenting with different engine combinations but not getting very wild with it to avoid having too much dead engine mass in vacuum (and in atmosphere without Oxygen), and avoiding using any of the long Mk2 engines. Lastly, the tiny Oxidizer supply on this plane is only for the fuel cell.

zK8Fonm.jpg VPlMPma.jpg

@JadeOfMaar, like you asked. A SSTO that uses the stock Mk2 body, OPT Air Intake and Wings, Mk4 tanks (the ones in the wings), Mk2 Expansion rapier-like engine, and a Kerbal Atomics nuclear engine. I like very much mods that are stock-a-like, they fit nicely in the game and can be used together. 

This one is the Raptor, a unmanned SSTO to take experiments to labs in orbital stations. I modified the Mk2 Drone Core to hold experiments, like the 2 advanced circular pods. It's my smallest SSTO, but one of my favorites. Runs mostly on LF, using a small amount of Ox to achieve a good Ap, and then only LF for the nukes, and eventually using the jet engines on the lading. The nukes have small RTGs for Ec.

It's not build with maximum efficiency in mind, but to be easy to fly and land, and have a small launch time (tanks to a very high TWR) so I really use it, instead of the super efficient SSTOs that takes 20 min to launch and I never open again. It gets to orbit with 1200 m/s left, a good amount to rendezvous, go to higher orbits, and make a long reentry burn, to reentry easily and precisely. I like to entry on prograde and make a direct landing, without turning on the jet engines. 

Its slight inspired in the X-37, an unmanned science spaceplane.

NuvbVRP.jpg

Da7gx0F.png

The nukes start retracted, I think it looks really cool.

JXsIPyK.jpg

Engaging nukes:

zxKC02M.jpg

Engaging rocket mode, MAXIMUM THRUST:

hQ0ZVIY.png

Only nukes. The Real Plume mod really adds to this game.

zhAAQj5.png

Update to the Gray Falcon. I swapped out the Avatar body for K body. The Avatar to Stail short adapter was amazingly draggy. Between the pictures I changed the forward control surface and added OPT-W Large Pylon. With my personal tweak, the J-92 operates up to Mach 12 (for 2.5x scale), and I was amazed by the amount of drag I did not get while holding Prograde. This design turned out quite efficient in addition to sufficiently powerful.

s9088fz.jpg

vvN64Bg.jpg

A new project: the Kraken Star. A VTHL SSTO, with rocket engines. It's waaay worse than planes with multi-mode jet engines in KSP, but it's a cool concept, easy to launch and very challenging and funny to land without fuel. Can take 10 tons to LKO, in a relatively large payload bay, with 100% reusability.

mIieqNN.png

More pics, don't mind the ugly test payload:

Spoiler

Zyl0tkE.jpg
hiiu731.jpg
izyYpPl.png
wHGY6pK.png

w7FRlc0.png
h9KbXn8.jpg
xn1kh4x.jpg
V6XGteR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Starlight. Very similar to the Kraken Star, but using multi-mode jet engines. Can take twice the weight (20 ton) with 50% more payload bay space. These engines are very overpowered in KSP :P

screenshot108.png

This one is more based in the Stock Mk2 (rescaled to 2.5m) and Mk2 Expansion, but the wings are from OPT. Can take 30 ton. Easily one of the best SSTOs I ever did (easy to use, reliable and good looking). It's called Serpent:

screenshot123.png

On 1/6/2018 at 4:04 AM, Abpilot said:

BEHOLD THE ANGEL SSTO!!!!

oqvFw2F.jpgDJ5NdPQ.jpg6V21IXC.jpg

Thats my style of spaceplane, simple, functional and with a realistic look. This cockpit also looks sick :D

What wing are you using, it's the C? How you assigned the pitch and roll controls?

I think I got too dependent on canards, and struggle to make good crafts without them.

On 11/03/2018 at 4:27 AM, MaximumThrust said:

Thats my style of spaceplane, simple, functional and with a realistic look. This cockpit also looks sick :D

What wing are you using, it's the C? How you assigned the pitch and roll controls?

I think I got too dependent on canards, and struggle to make good crafts without them.

Correct it is the C and i dont use control i use RCS, all i did with control surfaces was assign the ones closest to the pony for pitch while the ones furthes out yaw

The Fisherman / Blowfish J type. This plane can haul 10 (maybe 20....maybe 30) tons to low orbit and have 4km/s in vacuum without refueling. Its max takeoff weight is unmeasured as it's meant to land on a planet with less gravity and fill up on mined goods. Unfortunately it's not much use to me as it doesn't yet have a means to control its touchdown in thin atmosphere and bumpy terrain.

Main engines are a pair of J-60Ds and the nacelles are four WarpJet SAGEs (only two are necessary but four looked good at the time). Once it's at roughly 20km altitude the J-60Ds can shutoff and the plane can cruise to orbital velocity, spending no more LFO during this phase, at least until the SAGEs threaten to flameout.

AMQQdck.jpg

H469Svi.jpg

DmbnC4M.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.