Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

On 4/23/2020 at 2:10 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

By pure coincidence (unless I've been subconsciously driven by @gilflo's project) I decided to build and test my own Eve Ascent Vehicle. For use in JNSQ of course. It's meant to be relatively small so it's short on wing span (which turns out to be a bad thing for atmospheric entry, especially if manned). It suffers from "Fall Like A Stone" syndrome when it brakes to safe speeds near 2km/s and it needs to tumble wildly to not get shredded in the resulting deep dive slope of 45°. (17 gees observed while tumbling.)

With its LF supply dry and having only its IntakeAtm supply to use (currently only accessible in the drop tanks and Mk2 nose), this plane has 2.8km/s in vacuum (to be used by the SAGE warpjet closed cycle at 3K Isp).

Ks1qzdA.jpg

PG8oiAV.jpg

YlGMVPE.jpg

@JadeOfMaar if I may be so bold as to ask if you could share the .craft file.

8 hours ago, AG-cs said:

Hi,
Rescue and hospital ship  (I hope I wrote well :D )

You wrote it well. This is a very lovely design. And you just made the most creative use of the new winglets that I've ever seen and might ever see! :o

My pure-LH2 K-body spaceplane

OWUgAuz.png

9dsmGIU.png

Take of is done with Nebula engines in turbojet mode, but those are switched to scramjet mode halfway through ascent to ensure most efficient fuel usage - despite being, well, a K-body space plane, it can easily achieve orbital velocities while in atmosphere with Nebulas in scramjet mode. 

zmIjj6B.png

After coasting to apoapsis - if everything went as intended - this spaceplane will only need a small (~160 m/s) circularization burn, done with ARI-73 engine. Despite being the only vacuum engine for this machine, it still allows for a very decent 0.6 TWR and some 1000 m/s dV even when carrying an orange tank of LFO.

RY5JtrZ.png

To power the engines, a nuclear reactor, mounted at the front of the cargo bay, is used (with a pair of RTG to power reaction wheels and probe core even when the reactor if offline).

ON9nmzx.png

Edited by NHunter

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You wrote it well. This is a very lovely design. And you just made the most creative use of the new winglets that I've ever seen and might ever see! :o

Oh thank you. I like the new parts. I have plans with them and thank you for your work..  :) 

10 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

How did you make the ring structure?  What parts?

Many parts can be made into such a shape. The point is to have a central part on which the smaller parts can be placed.
Here I use the IXS Class ring for this.
There is a similar ring in the USI, and there is also a mod consisting of space station frame parts that can be used for this purpose. Sorry I don't remember the mod's name right now.

14 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

@AG-cs How did you make the ring structure?  What parts?

I think what @AG-cs actually means to say is that this particular ring structure (the medical ship) is made from OPT H cabins and H tanks. The bulkhead face of the spokes look like the short Avatar to Stail adapter.

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Wow!... @AG-cs, that is an awesome use of OPT parts. I like that very much :D
You should share that craft file on KerbalX.com

Thank you. :) 
I would love to share. The trouble is, I also use my own modifications, decals, and parts when I build. This way the shared craft would not work. So I don't know how to do it that way.

OPT Raptor Marine -16.5T - STOL jet - High maneuverability - Take off and Sea landing du to air Intakes above cockpit - Ceiling 38000m - Able for stratospheric flight up to more than 300 kms high - Able for Earth tour with 4 stratospheric flights - Low speed flight 70-90 kts at high AOA

Here a demo vid 

https://youtu.be/-rVK0SdCua4

Edited by gilflo

Hi, Hello everyone,

Here is my next ship, no name yet. The bottom line There are two large disks in the middle, a centrifuge at the top, and a dockable multipurpose spacecraft at the bottom.

I will be preparing to do a more serious description and presentation.

9sfhkb8.png

vEvlVg8.png

1 hour ago, AG-cs said:

Hi, Hello everyone,

Here is my next ship, no name yet. The bottom line There are two large disks in the middle, a centrifuge at the top, and a dockable multipurpose spacecraft at the bottom.

I will be preparing to do a more serious description and presentation.

By the gods, you are a genius and a damn good artist.

This is magnificent.

The IKS Phoenix-C, on it's way to land on the Mun to show off some lovely craters to numerous tourists who... well... want to see craters!

B50E73107904EEFC0F784332CFFB99B9DC44263F

Hot, crater action!

B312236769C89F24017115EB51DA1E8D346A3AAC

Just about to land on the Mun. Thanks to KF & it's awesome (and huge) landing struts.

D9174661320A7EEA6BBF48007B2FFBE0F29CE1A5

Mun landing complete!

93B2D3C3C5F64F11C235642670B6E417F4474E0D

Jeb sure is enjoying those sexy gauges & monitors (thanks RPM/OPT/Legacy/all)!

9FCAE9C152278ADA8BB455BDA89204BE85284531

Time to return home to Kerbin, mission complete!

3AEB889FF36DBB866F2BF1256E2E51036240A3DC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.