JadeOfMaar

Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

My OPT seaplane, after a lot of work, is airborne to Laythe

Posted (edited)

About the new WarpJet series engines introduced in OPT Legacy v1.0.7. Skip the spoiler if you don't like reading. :P 

Spoiler

So many considerations and a handful of existing things went into these that they are considered more advanced than the Dark Drive and are placed at a higher tech node than it in the CTT. The WarpJet engines should be (by design) hard to use, and are not for the newbie player who just wants new OP engines to play with. While they are hard to use, they are just as rewarding in atmosphere as the Dark Drive is in space and are intended for use in up-scaled solar systems and RSS, and in solar systems with many de-Oxygenated atmospheres.

The SURGE: Sidelong Undulating Respirating Gauss Engine (from the J-60 ScreamJet) is the flagship engine, powerful in every situation where any other jet engine would be powerless, and specialized for heavy lifting. The R in SURGE reflects its eccentric tankage for IntakeAtm. It can effectively "hold its breath" and delay the flameout of itself and any other engines that require IntakeAtm, namely the SAGE.

The SAGE: Stratosphere Accentuated Gauss Engine (from the J-61 Starwaster) is the compact and economic option, suitable as a booster and has a performance envelope quite akin to a true SCRAMjet such as the X-43 Hyperblast engine in Mk2 Expansion.

I'm looking forward to seeing any epic screenshots of creations of yours that take advantage of WarpJets. :) 

Now the actual showroom part. The links lead to KerbalX.

The F-81 and F-81 Heavy SSTA sport craft. Easily replace the forward service bay for a cabin. The F-81 has just one SURGE but the F-81 Heavy has 2 SURGE engines and can return from Eve. It carries no extra LF for air-breathing mode.
zblXRme.jpg E1EdpHr.jpg

Avatar's SURGE Freighter type with 4 SURGE and 2 SAGE. Unfortunately I have not measured its payload rating. If an extra pair of SAGE engines can be placed well, it should still have the TWR (and not out-balance the reactors) to carry a desirable large payload to orbit.
gEex9ok.jpg

SAGE Commercial Luxury airliner, globetrotter and SSTO with 2 SAGE. This one stalls very well and can land on the tiniest of islands without taking damage. Not tested taking off from water, but the ARI-75 engines should make that doable.
TRQEBti.jpg

ls69WyW.jpg moy4Qx7.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

"Tame looking" maybe. But it's still an epic design @Spyke I tried it and I like.

Continuation of my SSTO Seaplane adventure  on Laythe

Too many pictures. This nuclear powered SSTO is something I have been working on. I really like the S.U.R.G.E. engine and built the craft around that. It is really stable to orbit and back, with almost enough fuel for a second trip. 

The last flight from my Huge OPT SSTO seaplane: 1200 kms from Laythe north pole to Bone island - With the engine noise for JadeOfMaar

581141Eaglestartravel1.png

Edited by gilflo

Has anyone made the valkiry from avatar and if they do could they put it on kerbalX (excuse my spelling) 

Just thought I'd share this here.  I've been told that 2.5x GPP is where it's at, so I made the appropriate changes to play at that scale.  Haven't had time for any proper playing, but I'm super proud for having built my 2nd and 3rd ever SSTOs ever!  Pictures in the spoiler are from the 3rd iteration.

Spoiler

T2vATla.jpg

xJcZRtO.jpg

DCZOhlv.jpg

I happened to get some inspiration from EJ_SA and his Avatar Valkyrie project the other night, and built myself one. It's very rare that I build an interplanetary spaceplane, mainly because I refrain from using OPT's J-81 or Dark Drive engines. Ignoring my great fondness for life support, this could be a grand tour plane--well except to the likes of Eve.

With no cargo and no pit stop after ascent it has 8km/s in vacuum on main engines but only 1300m/s on VTOL, and enough TWR either way to defeat Tylo. It may become my official surface to moon transport in 2.5x.

vv2aVcH.jpg

F90E6m8.jpg

Working on Large Cargo SSTO inspired by Grunfworks' Laythe SSO; This one doesn't have that kind range.

l9H2XaP.jpg

MXS3n1J.jpg

LAGAhVN.jpg

EwFrE1h.jpg

oeBjoci.jpg

0q2qkcS.jpg

Edited by docthaspok
add another pic

TbyjUpM.png

This is my take on a 'tramp freighter' type ship akin to the Serenity or the Millennium Falcon.  It uses the torch drives from the Karbonite mod and has over 200,000m/s of Delta V.  It's also a VTOL, when I can get Throttle controlled avionics to work and not try to make me hover in one place forever.  (I wonder how long I could hover with 220,000m/s Delta V). Anywho, it's a tad anemic in the forward thrust department with a full tank of water (fuel) and to be entirely honest I haven't tested it to orbit yet.  The RPish idea is that the 18 VTOL engines are the main engines for orbital maneuvers, so they can provide acceleration based gravity for the crew.  Oh, and I'm using FAR because otherwise the drag would make it all a sad joke.  Surprisingly it has a pretty decent cross section profile line thingy.

A small 100T OPT VTOL for fun. Around 16000DV in HTOL but far less in VTOL
4 rotation J61 engines
869475screenshot606.png
in VTOL position Dry COG and Full COG are similar
549435screenshot607.png
It is super manœuvrable, and much more with some front wing like this model....
164330screenshot608.png

Can be use with or without TCA
But I am not familiar with VTOL flight. Even with a perfectly balance aircraft, use of take of power is stable until 200m whatever is the number of reaction shells in use, then , the aircraft flips back.

But it is easy to change from VTOL to HTOL before 200 m and to continue in straight flight. landing is easier, playing with Throttle.

Looking at this vid is better than long words....

About VTOL is there any threads on VTOL construction and VTOL flight?

I'll be happy to get some advise....

Edited by gilflo

SSTO Hydro OPT Laythe EagleStar, leaving Laythe for a Rendez vous with the small OPT Laythe Explorer.

Z42dwdm.png

EW9Ns5I.png

The small jet who left Laythe, 4 days ago, will dock on the main deck

k90vdcb.png

CohKcWO.png

They are now ready for Kerbin return

03TP6T8.png

The first official and active SSTO for my 2.5x main game. At stock scale is likely quite able to do a Duna landing, but it's not proven to work well on the likes of Duna.

It's a low orbit retriever for 2.5m payloads and a high orbit science plane, with capacity for its small crew to keep themselves entertained for possibly the whole flight.

WyEtiOS.jpg