Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

I was challeneged to make something resembling the B-1B Lancer fighter plane. The wings aren't quite swept back as to bee too speciaized in hypersonic range (this doesn't matter in stock aero of course). Design to run on Hydrolox, not LFO. The Oxidizer load fraction hasn't been quite determined yet. The CoM should also be fixed in or near the center of the cargo space.

dMYneDO.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:42 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I was challeneged to make something resembling the B-1B Lancer fighter plane. The wings aren't quite swept back as to bee too speciaized in hypersonic range (this doesn't matter in stock aero of course). Design to run on Hydrolox, not LFO. The Oxidizer load fraction hasn't been quite determined yet. The CoM should also be fixed in or near the center of the cargo space.

I like where you're going with the B-1B. I made a similar version myself, but just couldn't stop "adding to it". Regardless the B-1B is a beautiful aircraft and I'm sure you can do it justice. I don't know if my spaceplane counts as its a mix of OPT and other mod parts, but the older "longsword" Mk12 variant had been posted on this thread (many many years ago). So here's the new one. It's twice everything the original was, in lethality, speed, size, evasion, and fuel capacity. Basically if the longsword from Halo and the SU 57 had a baby, it would look something like this. Complete sensor fusion, packs AESA and TWS radars. Loaded with 16 AMRAAMS and Nuclear gravity bombs. Uses LH2 for fuel in vacuum, and nuclear atm breathing engines can function in any atmosphere. 

V1D8zaf.pngTLQ1MGZ.png

• 5 weeks later...

Leaning a bit on the minimal side but still pretty large (using Hydrolox all the time provokes this) is an SR-71-esque SSTO. Just 2x J-60D for engines abut able to lift 15 tons to LKO in JNSQ. It can carry 30 but it may struggle for dV for the RDZV phase or struggle for powered flight time after deorbit.

It's been tested since, to have enough battery to perform without a Power Sphere taking up cargo space, and should recharge fast enough on 12x OX-STAT long solar panel (the large one that produces 2.8EC/s). But I have not tested whether those panels will be protected from reentry heat. It needs to have a cabin switched out for a docking port, or to keep the 2 cabins + docking port to be useful.

YTKluAk.png

wscZyem.png

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

Here are my last Spaceplanes:

The Mars Stratolauncher is 3000T stratolauncher equipped with 9 Tweakscaled J61 to launch my OPT  VTOL TSTO Mars Shuttle à mach 9 between 48 and 50 kms.

Once in 400 kms orbit the TSTO has got 17000DV available, then the stratolauncher can't fly back to its base, but is able to fly back at the nearest place to land.

The Stratolauncher is as long as the Antonov A 225 (The one that has been destroyed during Ukraine war and with was carrying the Bourane Shuttle), 85M, but is less wide, only 55m.

VNkHoIe.jpg

Iyoswvw.jpg

xopPGhb.jpg

9nq1JJO.jpg

Edited by gilflo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.