The great cleansing

alacrity

So every once in a while I do a great purge of my KSP folder.... ALl the mods and versions and saves... all must go.

I did it at .21, 1.0, 1.1, and now at 1.2. I will play in the prerelease with no mods, no old files to look back on, no old plane builds to cheat back to. All clean and fresh.

How many do their own purge and why?

I purge to start my thinking over again and to try to change my build designs without cheating back to old jerry rigging I did before.

I don't purge, I move away. At 1.1, I made a new copy of my fresh install, added all of my mods, moved my save, and zipped up the old one. I'll do the same thing when 1.2 comes around.

As for cheating back to old designs, I've found that that rarely works for me. Most of my old designs are either thrown-together, inefficient things that I only made because I either didn't know better or didn't have the parts to do better. Of the remainder, the majority no longer function due to the mod and game updates. The few that are left are pretty good, but very specialized, and thus mostly useless. One of these days I need to purge my craft folder, though, since it's been building up since 1.0.5 or so and I make like ten designs for every one thing I fly.

I'm also a purger. Every major release more or less.

I've noticed that it makes it easier for me to try new playstyles, new designs and new mods. Also, there's something about cleansing that makes the memories of past adventures shine more brightly. 

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

I purge, because not purging is un-ameri... oh wait, movie flashbacks. I do purge because all the mods changing etc.. Like @jhousen said, you don't want to release the kraken.. Savegames often get corrupt when you have big updates like 1.2 (new unity, aero etc.). Especially as a RSS/RO player.

1 hour ago, razark said:

I restart a new save every release.  Sometimes between releases, if I add a new mod that substantially changes the game.  Or because I'm bored.  Or I haven't played in a while.  Or because it's Tuesday.

Pretty much this...  But I keep the old releases because there are a lot of good designs in there, and if the game has changed they still serve as inspiration.  (Or warnings.)

1 minute ago, DerekL1963 said:

But I keep the old releases...

I have every version I've ever installed in zip files (except the prereleases).  I usually have the current release and the previous release in a ready-to-play state, and only one prerelease, but that one is not necessarily the latest version (nor used for playing).

2 minutes ago, razark said:

I have every version I've ever installed in zip files (except the prereleases).  I usually have the current release and the previous release in a ready-to-play state, and only one prerelease, but that one is not necessarily the latest version (nor used for playing).

I did the same, but they were really stacking up.. So I only copy my ships in the test run, when they are doing great, they going into my fresh game.

2 hours ago, razark said:

I restart a new save every release.  Sometimes between releases, if I add a new mod that substantially changes the game.  Or because I'm bored.  Or I haven't played in a while.  Or because it's Tuesday.

Yep. Each major new version gets it's own install ( usually several ) too. I think I have 30+ installs lying around if I go back to 0.25.

Usually I end up with different mods in new installs, so I have to start designs fresh anyway.

I save the game install zip files, and all the screenshots. That's it. I probably should have saved the mods I used too, just for posterity, but as of yet I've never gone back to an old install to play it again. Before starting a new version, all Kerbals in the current version are brought home (leave no man behind)... unless the saved game is compatible with the new version, which is almost never. As for ships and buggies and such, that's all stored in my head.

Im also a "purger" while i don't necessarily delete my old saves, i don't ever go and look back at them. I usually do this when i haven't played for a long period of time and i forget what i was trying to do in my previous save. I do find that starting a new save results in a different way of thinking as OP stated. This new way of thinking makes craft design better/more reliable. 

-leafy

I always start "clean" in a new version. But when tackling some huge stuff (Jool-5 for example, or building a very large space station) I will bring my old toys and upgrade them to current KSP.

I only had the parts mods (KommitNucleonics, Near-Future solar, my own parts) after the full tech tree is unlocked.  It's kind of my "end-game" rewards.

But I very rarely play my old save games, except to import some ships.

I have a ongoing savegame since 0.9, before any major update i ground all vessels and put my Kerbals to a nap in the kerbonaut center.
My Kerbals have grown on to my heart. Sometimes i retire some male Kerbals in favour of new females, target ratio 50/50.
I tend to play stock the longer the more.

21 hours ago, Mikki said:

I have a ongoing savegame since 0.9, before any major update i ground all vessels and put my Kerbals to a nap in the kerbonaut center.
My Kerbals have grown on to my heart. Sometimes i retire some male Kerbals in favour of new females, target ratio 50/50.
I tend to play stock the longer the more.

How did you manage to keep a v0.9 save going? There were so many save-breaking updates, some of which the save files were allegedly completely incompatible. There was only one which I managed to work (edit my way through), and that was the move from v0.24.2 to v0.25.0 ... and at that, it was a pain in the butt and I ended up rebuilding much of everything.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

How did you manage to keep a v0.9 save going? There were so many save-breaking updates, some of which the save files were allegedly completely incompatible. There was only one which I managed to work (edit my way through), and that was the move from v0.24.2 to v0.25.0 ... and at that, it was a pain in the butt and I ended up rebuilding much of everything.

Worst thing was Valentina not showing up, had some bad glitches until she decided to stay seriously with the guys. 1.0 was far more worse than anything, had to doctor the savefile quite a bit.
As said above. grounding all vessels, annihilating any craft in space, redoing most of the craft was doable.

Edited by Mikki

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

How did you manage to keep a v0.9 save going?

I didn't even think 0.9 had save files.  I don't remember them being in 0.13 when I started.

Wow.  Just downloaded 0.9 from the old versions thread.  Not only does it not have save files, it doesn't even have time warp or a map!

Edited by razark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.