An Honest Debate

Higgs

I use both. In fact I cant find anymore fun in game without them. To bad, this mods will be discontinued. I hope somebody will take care about MJ, because I am not willing to do manual flight anymore after using MJ.

6 hours ago, boborene said:

I use both. In fact I cant find anymore fun in game without them. To bad, this mods will be discontinued. I hope somebody will take care about MJ, because I am not willing to do manual flight anymore after using MJ.

What on earth are you talking about?

I'll correct that - you are talking rubbish.

Having played KSP a lot and playing 1.2 pre now I miss mechjeb. Mostly as it speeds things up, so much faster to have it warp to an burn and execute over having to warp close then warp to accurate time do the burn and tapper off to get it accurate. 
Accurate landings on Mun is another and the porkshop for transfer, fine tune closest approach is yet another genial one, launching too however the launching autopilot is kind of dumb, its trajectory depends too much on TWR, it also messes up with longer burn of low twr upper stages.
Had I not had KER and dv readout i would not play 1.2 much. 

On 10/8/2016 at 3:10 AM, boborene said:

Ummm, what?  

See here for a version for 1.2:  

On 08/10/2016 at 9:10 AM, boborene said:

Where did I say I will stop modding ? Can you people stop making stuff up ?

On 2016-10-05 at 0:12 AM, Matuchkin said:

Pfft. I calculate by hand.

:cool:

But I use mechjeb to fly.

:P

I'm in this camp too.

I tend to have the most fun building stuff, and once I've flown new stuff a number of times I let MJ do it for me.

Esp for ascent since I tend to tweak and revise way too many times and I when I want to evaluate designs I want the same ascent profile every time I tweak and retry.

Calculations I do by hand (or rather calculator or spreadsheet), or by trial'n'error :wink:

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Don't you know, MechJeb was the only thing keeping Brangelina together in the end? YOU ENDED THEIR RELATIONSHIP YOU MONSTER.

Ahem. Sorry. Anyway.

I don't really see the need for an "honest debate" about this. Either you want automation MechJeb gives you or you don't. Either you want information that MechJeb and KER give you, or you don't. You either prefer MechJeb's graphical style or KERs. Or neither's. Or both. I don't know. There are plenty of threads lauding both. And they're free to try.

I personally have tried both KER and MechJeb and prefer KER. My main problem with MechJeb is that I want two things out of KSP: To fly my own ships when it's fun, and to automate the boring aspects in the background when it's not. MechJeb doesn't help me do either of these things. I'm not anti-MechJeb. I just don't personally need what it provides.

I'm all for automation. I just don't want to sit there and watch it.

3 hours ago, sarbian said:

Sabian, MechJeb is awesome! 

MechJeb has teached-me how to play Kerbal Space Program, how to make the manuevers, orbital rendezvous, sends rocket to orbit, etc. If it wasn't Mechjeb, i would never have bought the game in the 0.24.2 version, nor would still be playing today. In my opinion, MECHJEB and Ferram's FAR are  must have mods.

Thanks for creating mechjeb!

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Moderators, could you lock this thread?  It seems to be flamebait more than anything else

No flames in here (yet?), the discussion seems to be a civil one about the pros and cons of MJ vs KER. We're not in the habit of locking civil discussions preemptively, generally speaking.

I'd also remind you of Rule 3.2.

I use both. KER has nicer-looking instrumentalization, but MechJeb has the autopilots.

I really do get bored with doing all those maneuver burns or docking, they have become so routine that it feels more like babysitting than playing. That being said, if I have a risky/unstable/unique design, or some funky maneuvers then I do everything manually. MechJeb can't be trusted with that :wink:

I honestly haven't used MJ before, so can't speak to all it's functionality. I got into KSP watching Let's Plays from various well known YouTube personalities, and several of them use MJ for dV and A.S.S. purposes during their videos, and for that, it looks rather nice. But for me personally, and this is 110% personal opinion, I prefer KER. Everything I'd personally want to get from MJ is the dV calculations in the hanger and during flight, and I also enjoy the quick targeting for rendezvous or orbital alignments, which I can get from KER without any automation options. The interface looks a bit more clunky in MJ in the videos I've seen, but that is a) second hand experience AT BEST, and b) a matter of aesthetics. It is entirely possibly (and from some comments I've seen in this thread, is the case) that the MJ interface can be customized to an extent, so even that argument is almost a wash.

So, for me, I prefer KER, not because it is superior, but because it simply does what I need, and nothing extra. That said, I also think BOTH are brilliant in the fact that they give you dV in the hanger, and as one of many informational options in flight. I believe that SOME sort of dV calculator really needs to be in the hanger in stock, something that can be disabled for those who prefer to hand calculate (more power to ya!), but available in stock. Thank you BOTH, creators of these two interesting, and supremely useful mods.

My chosen religion is Mechjeb, because I like it.

Nonetheless, the fact that we can choose to use MJ, KER, or neither is fantastic, because fundamentally having options is wonderful.

I'm with others on here, there's no point to having a debate about this. One of the reasons why I've played KSP for so many years is that with the mod support, it can be customized to fit an individual player's play style. Just because one player prefers automation, and the next prefers information only, doesn't mean we start a debate, argument, religious war, flame war, etc.

No real "debate" to be had.

I use KER but I've used MJ in the past, they both work quite well and allow me to tailor the display to drill down to only the information I want to see. Since I enjoy the flying part of the game (and noodling with maneuver nodes, etc...) I don't have any "temptation" to use those parts of MJ and I like the HUDs in KER better than MJ's windows. Pretty simple choice for me, then, but I could use either and be very happy.

But really, I don't use MJ because I'm not a filthy cheater.

I don't like to cheat my personal, single-player, individually-tailored experience.

On 10/10/2016 at 11:59 AM, sarbian said:

My apologizes. I was under impression of a imminent vacation under the light of last events. I will not say anything more.

Why not both?

I love the KER hud so I keep it open with the data I want at all times but use MJ to plan and execute nodes for me. Tbh I was unaware how Smart A.S.S even works before I saw it in a stream the other day and some reading up now also taught me that MJ can land for me! The parts of this game I find most enjoyable are building and launching stuff aswell as landing minimalist things. Armed with the knowledge that there is a mod which can land bigger things might finally make me start building bases and open up a whole new world of construction challenges for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.