Drag calculation question

Does the angle of a faring nose (or general pointyness of any leading part) contribute to amount of drag? I was under the impression that KSP used the slope of the part model to determine drag amount, but I'm not sure where I read that. How is drag determined?

Related, is there a way to get a detailed readout on drag-per-part? The F12 overlay is great for huge draggy things, but not so great for actually fine-tuning. 

I think it was in one of the Developer Tuesday notes that it was mentioned that pointy things would benefit from aero changes in ver. 1.2.

I don't know how to get part forces numbers; if anyone knows that would be great for debugging various issues.

10 hours ago, Jarin said:

I was under the impression that KSP used the slope of the part model to determine drag amount.

This is correct, since 1.0.

In 1.2 they are tweaking it a little, so pointy things have even less drag and blunt objects have more drag, than in 1.1.3.

But it's not a new aerodynamic system or drag model. It's just a tweak.

23 hours ago, Jarin said:

Related, is there a way to get a detailed readout on drag-per-part? The F12 overlay is great for huge draggy things, but not so great for actually fine-tuning. 

You want the AeroGUI.  Activate it from the Alt-F12 cheat/debug menu.  There's one window for a global aero display, and another for a per-part aero display in that part's right-click menu.  You'll probably want both up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2016 at 1:06 PM, Jarin said:

Go into the debug menu/Physics/Aero and select "display aero data in action menus". Then open the context menu for the part -- it may not work for all parts, but it works for most of them.

One of the numbers displayed is drag for that part. It works for fairings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.