"Little Big Science" - Tiny Science Gathering Vessels

Little Big Science (an obvious pun on the band "Little Big Town") is a challenge to create the tiniest vessel possible of getting hundreds, if not thousands, of SCIENCE!!! The main goal is to collect at least 250 science with a vessel that starts off less than 50 tons. But it shouldn't be THAT simple, shall it? So I have a few things to make it more interesting.

• Vessels in the Kerbin system must be less than 50 tons and gather more than 1,000 science.
  • NO MODS (except for MechJeb, if you need it) are to be used. 10 points will be removed.
  • Your craft can either be manned or unmanned.
  • Bonus points for scanning a planet!

Now here are the basic rules:

• Do NOT use HyperEdit. You will be disqualified.
  • Going to a Kopernicus planet is not allowed.
  • The 50-ton limit is the ENTIRE CRAFT, including the lifter. Don't use any parts greater than 2.5m across.
  • Part count should NOT exceed 100 parts.
  • Solar panels, reusable experiments, and small landing gear/wheels will not be counted to part and mass totals.
  • Bonus points will be added for specific achievements.

The scoring for Little Big Science will be determined by an equation using science gathered (s) and mass of the craft in tons (m). The equation is s/m1.5. For example, if you had a craft weighing 50 tons and collected 2,000 science, your score would be rounded to 6 (values with digits after the decimal point will be rounded to the nearest ones place). Based on score, there will be 7 levels.

1. "Beginner at Science" - 1-5 points
  2. "Science Nomad" - 5-10 points
  3. "Tiny Science Farmer" - 10-20 points
  4. "Junior Scientist" - 20-30 points
  5. "Great Sciencer!" - 30-45 points
  6. "Kerbal Science Professor" - 45-60 points
  7. "ERMAHGERD SCYENZE!" - 60+ points

There will also be BONUS points for those who can do special things for their submissions.

• +1 points if using non-reusable experiments.
  • +5 points if your craft is a plane.
  • +5 points if you go to ALL bodies orbiting Kerbin.
  • +5 points if your entry vessel can scan a celestial body.
  • +7.5 points if you return experiments from Kerbin's moons.
  • +10 points if you return science from other planets and moons.
  • +15 points if your craft is less than 3 tons.
  • +20 points if you visit the moons of Jool.
  • +30 points if you return science from multiple moons of Jool and Jool itself.

I may have a badge for this. For now, the only gift I give for a winner is a place on the LIST OF HONOR:

1. @Hodari Level 5 with 38 points (1553.7 science, 11.882 tons)
  2. TBA
  3. TBA
  4. TBA
  5. TBA

I also decided to make the LIST OF EVEN MORE HONOR. You need to get at least 60 points to get here.

1. TBA
  2. TBA
  3. TBA
  4. TBA
  5. TBA
Edited by ProtoJeb21
Revised equation, first member of the List of Honor, and Bonus Points

Can we assume that we should start this off as a new science/career mode game, use the cheat menu to unlock the tech tree, and then build/launch our vessel from there?  Also, that equation seems like it gives more points for a LARGER vessel rather than a smaller one...

I'd also say that ALL parts should be counted, including science experiments in the mass count.  This makes it a bit more of a decision as to whether or not the mass of the experiment is worth bringing for the amount of science it provides. 

And finally, not sure how possible it is to make use of them within the mass limits, but might want to mention if ISRU and/or mobile labs are allowed, since those could allow nearly infinite science if someone can make effective use of them.

Edited by Hodari

First attempt completed:

Total mass of spacecraft:  11.935t

Mass without solar panels and science experiments:  11.885

Total science collected:  1553.7

hNGbWC5.jpg

Science from launchpad, atmosphere on the way up, LKO, high orbit, Mun flyby, polar orbit of Minmus, then escaped into solar orbit.  ALMOST made it to Duna after that which would have been a lot more science too.

Edited by Hodari

@Hodari @Stargate525 Yeah I'm going to have to re-work that equation. Using it on Hodari's entry only have him 11 points! I'll make it so that is divided by m.

EDIT: The new equation is science divided by mass to the 1.5th power. Hodari gets 38 points for his entry! The example entry would get 6 points.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

19 hours ago, Nefrums said:

I made a small plane and went to jool.

10,322t   18608 sci

http://imgur.com/a/3W53F

Guess this scores about 627p?

I should've known you would blow all competition out of the water :P 

You were sort-of close: Your score is 561 (without bonuses). I'll update the OP so that there will be a wider point range for those who get well over 60. Also, you'll be the first in the List of Even More Honor!

This was fun! Here's the Size isn't Everything, a plane/rover combination of lilliputian dimensions. 

2.994 tons, Stock Version 1.2, no mods, fresh Science game on Normal difficulty, using the debug menu to unlock the research tree and upgrade buildings.

zJDT1CK.png

I wasn't sure if you could do this before 1.2, but assigning custom actions groups to run the experiments and collect the data came in very handy. 2 keystrokes was enough to run an entire set of experiments and then store the results into the science module.

tvXjMXT.png

Biome hopping on Minimus and the Mun

ohUW1dk.png

There was even time for a little sightseeing!

yQ34mjG.png

The rover and 3567.5 science was returned intact to Kerbin

y4HnpiA.png

Rest of photos here

Doing the sums, 3567.5 / (2.9961.5) = 687.94 base points, plus...erm...32.5 bonus points I think, for a grand rounded total of 720

Edited by ManEatingApe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.