[v1.3] The Gold Standard - Minable Gold and Unobtainium for profit!

Dewar

@Dewar The various resources observed by SCANsat are not specifically delivered by USI but are part of CRP and mostly used by USI. The remainder are probably only used by KSPI-E. It's going to be a tough decision to pick resources to remove, and one I've thought about for a long time because I know te issue of being unable to add more than 1 or 2 resources to SCANsat's resource overlay window. It would be wise to ask in the MKS thread whichc of these resources are not used by MKS, then get back to me. :P As much as you want to know, so do I.

11 hours ago, Dewar said:

Are USI rare metals and exotic materials an additional addon for USI? or are they distributed with all of the USI mods. They could be the reason why scansat was having problems, as there are a limited number of ore IDs in scansat.

As to the balance, I haven't played that aspect of the USI mods and wasn't aware of them. I'll look into it, but are the exotic materials and rare metals available in abundance within the kerbin sphere of influence? Are they available at the same position within the tech tree?

These resources are part of MKS and they are used in its resource conversion chain. With USI-LS, MKS and KSPIE installed, I have something like 15 resources in SCANsat altogether. But it looks like only GoldOre causes issues. Maybe you can looks at how it's defined differently from Unobtainium, because it seems to work ok (although I haven't found any yet).

In my current playthrough, both Rare Metals and Exotic Minerals are available in several biomes on the Mun, with abundance up to 4%. However, it's possible that the drills come later in the tech tree (I haven't checked yet).

Unobtainium obtained!

Mined, transported back to Kerbin & cashed in. Ka-ching!

I never ran into any technical glitches on the way, but I do have some opinions on the balance. It seemed to me to be almost too easy to mine, recover for transport to Kerbin, & land it on Kerbin.

With Gold there is the intermediate step of smelting, adding to the complexity. Plus having the large tanks available for gold ore & gold encouraged you to use them, pushing you to consider & deal with weight in all ship designs.

I just think that unobtainium should be almost the hardest thing to mine & recover to Kerbin, considering the pay-off. Right now locations are a challenge, if you are crafty enough to find it, but after that, it's kind of easy.

But maybe all the learning I did mining Gold payed off with respect to unobtainium.

Still, it's a 10m tank full of fun this mod.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Are gold and unobtainium supposed to be scannable from the M700 orbital survey scanner?

I've tried in multiple saves and on all bodies but the scanner doesn't even show them (by that I mean not that they have 0% concentration, but that they doesn't exist in the menu)

Also surface scanning just shows them with 0% concentration everywhere, so I'm not sure if they are supposed to be that hard to find or that I installed the mod wrong.

5 hours ago, TheProtagonists said:

Are gold and unobtainium supposed to be scannable from the M700 orbital survey scanner?

I've tried in multiple saves and on all bodies but the scanner doesn't even show them (by that I mean not that they have 0% concentration, but that they doesn't exist in the menu)

Also surface scanning just shows them with 0% concentration everywhere, so I'm not sure if they are supposed to be that hard to find or that I installed the mod wrong.

Nevermind that... turns out I can still see gold ore concentration on map view in planet info

With that said I've made a primitive Unobtainium support for some Outer Planet bodies.

However since there is a GLOBAL_RESOURCE for GoldOre therefore there will be gold ore on any body that have a surface.

Very new to modding and changing configs so I doubt those numbers will work very well...

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = Unobtainium
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Tekto

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 40
		MinAbundance = 25
		MaxAbundance = 75
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Slate

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 25
		MinAbundance = 0.1
		MaxAbundance = 50
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Wal

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 20
		MinAbundance = 0.1
		MaxAbundance = 60
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Polta

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 20
		MinAbundance = 0.1
		MaxAbundance = 50
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Priax

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 20
		MinAbundance = 0.01
		MaxAbundance = 35
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Thatmo

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 30
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 75
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Plock

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 45
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 75
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Karen

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 45
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 50
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

• 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TeraByte_Gaming said:

Gold miner without reusable launcher: ~300k funds. Mothership without reusable launcher: ~250k funds. My actual amount of funds: ~730k :/ Better get some contracts. :D

While you're doing that, and if you haven't already done so, put up some cheap resource scanning & terrain mapping probes just to make sure your target bodies have the things you are looking for & are accessible.

Good luck & have fun!

10 minutes ago, Argyle MHF said:

While you're doing that, and if you haven't already done so, put up some cheap resource scanning & terrain mapping probes just to make sure your target bodies have the things you are looking for & are accessible.

Good luck & have fun!

Already have a Minmus scanner, going to launch it tommorow. The cost of the scanner is negligible because of its reusable launcher and minimalistic design, so that should help with the cost issue. I'll tell you how it went once it's prospecting Minmus. :D

6 hours ago, TeraByte_Gaming said:

No gold whatsoever @Argyle MHF, going to scan Mun instead I guess, just horrible luck. :(

Gooooooldddddddd!! On the financial front, my mothership can actually fulfill my {CLASSIFIED} space station contract, so that brings down the cost a little. I'll still need ~1,000,000 :funds: though, but it's a start.

Edited by TeraByte_Gaming

6 minutes ago, TeraByte_Gaming said:

Gooooooldddddddd!!
<snip>
I'll still need ~1,000,000 :funds: though, but it's a start.

Excellent. Also a good jumping off point for the rest of the solar system.

Don't write off Minmus, though. It is still a very, very large and accessible gas tank. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Argyle MHF said:

Excellent. Also a good jumping off point for the rest of the solar system.

Don't write off Minmus, though. It is still a very, very large and accessible gas tank. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but ore is a LOT cheaper than Pure Gold, so I think Minmus will have to stay a gas station while {CLASSIFIED} provides me with cash. :D

7 hours ago, TeraByte_Gaming said:

Yeah, but ore is a LOT cheaper than Pure Gold, so I think Minmus will have to stay a gas station while {CLASSIFIED} provides me with cash. :D

Rover on its way to  {CLASSIFIED}, should help me with my funds situation and bring in some science, but I think landing tourists on Mun will have to become my main source of income until I get some gold flowing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks ^^ I'm about to give Gold Standard a try, and I had a couple of questions about a tweak I'd like to make.

I'm somewhat interested in naming it MetalOre/Metal for the sake of personal preference.  For that renaming to work, all I'll need to do is a find-replace in all the config files for GoldOre/Gold, right?  That doesn't appear to collide with any of the resources in the CRP so I THINK I should be good to go there.

Secondary question... it's a little unreasonable that I'm bothered by this at all, but the fact that we now have a DIFFERENT kind of Ore than the stock Ore really makes me want to rename the stock Ore (to something like FuelOre.)  Anyone have an idea of how easy that would be to do using ModuleManager?...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I've searched this post and don't see any mention of overheating problems like the ones I'm having.

I've ran tests with the smelter on the surface of Gale (GPP) and with radiators it runs fine.  In orbit with radiators it runs fine.  However on the surface of the Iota the first moon the smelter overheats within mins now matter how much cooling power I have.  I even tried using 2 large and 2 med stock radiators, still overheats.  The exact same setup in orbit runs just fine.  Soon as its placed on the surface of the moon it overheats and efficiency goes to zero.  Clearly I'm missing something, any ideas?

On 2017. 08. 02. at 11:05 AM, garwel said:

These resources are part of MKS and they are used in its resource conversion chain. With USI-LS, MKS and KSPIE installed, I have something like 15 resources in SCANsat altogether. But it looks like only GoldOre causes issues. Maybe you can looks at how it's defined differently from Unobtainium, because it seems to work ok (although I haven't found any yet).

In my current playthrough, both Rare Metals and Exotic Minerals are available in several biomes on the Mun, with abundance up to 4%. However, it's possible that the drills come later in the tech tree (I haven't checked yet).

This issue still persists. I have stock scanning disabled in SCANsat (default setting) and GoldOre scanning just doesn't work. For Unobtainium, the Big Map in SCANsat shows 0% everywhere on Kerbin, as expected, but there's just no data for GoldOre. Every other resource listed in that SCANsat dropdown menu works fine, just not GoldOre. I enabled stock scanning in SCANsat out of curiosity, and switched scenes, but there was no abundancy info on GoldOre there either, and the resource wasn't even listed in stock the body info menu, contrary to what someone else has reported previously. This is probably a result of having stock scanning off at the time of actually scanning the planet.

Any chance of looking into this issue? I need a cash cow in my career at the moment, and I think I'll just uninstall this mod and use USI's resources instead, which is a shame, because it doesn't have a high investment/high reward resource like unobtainium

On 04/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, soarpotman said:

*crickets* 

@Xaero1701 

Heybuddy,

Are your ships drones? or crewed?

If you don't have both an engineer and scientist on board, expect super low efficiency and heat issues.

Fly safe.

Edited by Dewar

11 hours ago, Dewar said:

Hey buddy,

Are your ships drones? or crewed?

If you don't have both an engineer and scientist on board, expect super low efficiency and heat issues.

Fly safe.

They are unmanned. I think you quoted my post by accident, my issue has nothing to do with heat or efficiency.

4 hours ago, soarpotman said:

They are unmanned. I think you quoted my post by accident, my issue has nothing to do with heat or efficiency.

Derp. Yup misquoted.

I've never tried turning off vanilla scanning in scansat. 

I only added support because it was requested. I don't play with scansat myself. 

I'll throw it on my game and see if I can get a workaround. Consider it added to my to-do list.

Edited by Dewar

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Derp. Yup misquoted.

I've never tried turning off vanilla scanning in scansat. 

I only added support because it was requested. I don't play with scansat myself. 

I'll throw it on my game and see if I can get a workaround. Consider it added to my to-do list.

Thank you for that. I was hopeful that you might look into it given that Unobtainium doesn't seem to have the same problem, so we know there is a way for GoldOre to work too.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, wenth said:

@Dewar is there a setting on my end that would make gold and/or gold ore show up in the community resource pack or....what ever it is that lets me use configurable cargo containers like USI Kontainers

One does not simply get their resources added to the Community Resource Pack. You'll also have to make or get a patch to make it usable in your favorite mod parts.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

One does not simply get their resources added to the Community Resource Pack. You'll also have to make or get a patch to make it usable in your favorite mod parts.

ahhhhhhhh That is what i wanted to know. Thank you. .....now to look into how to add gold and gold ore to the CRP

32 minutes ago, wenth said:

ahhhhhhhh That is what i wanted to know. Thank you. .....now to look into how to add gold and gold ore to the CRP

More directly for you, you should probably be looking at how to write an MM patch to add them to USI Kontainers or whatever parts you want to add them to.  Adding them to CRP just means that they are a 'community resource' and that multiple mods are likely to be using the same resource.  It doesn't automatically add the ability to carry them to any parts.

40 minutes ago, DStaal said:

More directly for you, you should probably be looking at how to write an MM patch to add them to USI Kontainers or whatever parts you want to add them to.  Adding them to CRP just means that they are a 'community resource' and that multiple mods are likely to be using the same resource.  It doesn't automatically add the ability to carry them to any parts.

thank you DSTaal thats an even biger help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.