qbranzen

Forgot login password of my game pc

Recommended Posts

I have an old game PC and recently I upgraded to Windows 10. I just got a branded new machine and planned to use the old one for data backup. however, i couldn't figure out the password i set a few days ago. Is it possible to recover the password? i have a lot of game downloads and videos on the computer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you didnt use disk encryptrion you could directly read the data from the HDD/SSD by pluging it into the new PC and booting from its original drive. The old one could be read similar to an extrenal hard drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qbranzen said:

Is it possible to recover the password?

Recover - probably not, it'll be encrypted.
Assuming you didn't use full-disk encryption, you can create a new admin user from a Win 10 install disk. Then use the new user for access, or to reset the existing password.
Or, as Elthy suggests, just pull the HDD.

Edited by steve_v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, qbranzen said:

I have an old game PC and recently I upgraded to Windows 10. I just got a branded new machine and planned to use the old one for data backup. however, i couldn't figure out the password i set a few days ago. Is it possible to recover the password? i have a lot of game downloads and videos on the computer. 

I am not sure I am comfortable with advising a totally new member on how to circumvent passwords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Camacha said:

I am not sure I am comfortable with advising a totally new member on how to circumvent passwords.

Agreed.

 

But then again, if you were up to something questionable, there are a lot better places to find out than a game forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Camacha said:

I am not sure I am comfortable with advising a totally new member on how to circumvent passwords.

 

4 hours ago, razark said:

Agreed.

 

But then again, if you were up to something questionable, there are a lot better places to find out than a game forum.

Best to be careful on any internet location but its also not like the windows admin password is the cutting edge of security, its more like hanging a "do not disturb" sign than a keyed lock. All of this info (which aside from pulling the HD has all been "here is how to use the legit password reset utilities") is easily available with 30 seconds on google anyway.

If he was asking how to get into a locked steam account, or circumvent an admin password remotely, that would raise more red flags.

As far as nefarious schemes go, a two line question in the KSP lounge is hardly Ernst Stavro Blofeld material!

 

But OP? Negative a billion points for forgetting your password so fast! (did you check the status of your capslock?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Best to be careful on any internet location but its also not like the windows admin password is the cutting edge of security, its more like hanging a "do not disturb" sign than a keyed lock.

There was a time when you could simply press 'cancel' to circumvent the login password because the login password only related to the workgroup.  Things have at least improved beyond that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2016 at 11:05 AM, p1t1o said:

As far as nefarious schemes go, a two line question in the KSP lounge is hardly Ernst Stavro Blofeld material!

It does not matter much. This forum has a lot of young people that are more inclined to ask here than to investigate themselves. It might be a typical question for a child trying to circumvent some of the security measures his parents impose. Having someone ask that made the account specifically for that question only raises more questions. Without knowing anything more, it is better to err on the side of caution. Kids can often easily buy alcohol too, but that does not mean I will buy any for a random stranger asking for it. We still have a responsibility for what we tell or give to others.

 

On 03/10/2016 at 4:53 PM, LordFerret said:

You guys are all worried and uncomfortable about this, when this crap can simply be Googled.

Yo buddy... Google is your friend.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forget-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html

What is the point? Pretty much anything can be searched for and found, up to and including how-tos for the most heinous crimes. The same goes for things like adult material. Neither should be posted here or given to a possible minor without the proper safeguards and precautions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we stop theorizing why a fellow forum member asked a question and either answer it or skip to the next thread? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being I'm back in here, another thought...

If the password recovery idea failed, my next suggestion would be a Knoppix live disc. Download the ISO (it's free) and burn it to a disc (CD/DVD) and then boot that disc on the machine in question. This will allow you access to the drive without having to pull it from the machine as some have suggested... from there, you can move the data or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't he just crack the ntlm hash in the sam? Or did they change that for windows ten? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ethanadams said:

Couldn't he just crack the ntlm hash in the sam? Or did they change that for windows ten? 

The article's a little old, but (I would say that's a 'no') -
https://blog.varonis.com/windows-10-authentication-the-end-of-pass-the-hash/

 

But why bother with all such gyrations? A Knoppix (or any other Linux) live disc will have you accessing the data in minutes (unless you've encrypted the entire drive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand from that article (I could have read it wrong because I am really tired) He could on a home computer live boot into a version of linux and use a cracker on it. Please correct me if I am wrong because i have yet to try this because I haven't forgot my passwords yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ethanadams said:

From what I understand from that article (I could have read it wrong because I am really tired) He could on a home computer live boot into a version of linux and use a cracker on it. Please correct me if I am wrong because i have yet to try this because I haven't forgot my passwords yet

I suppose, yes, you could do that ... run it under Wine (but according to that article, that won't work anymore, things have 'changed'). But that wasn't my point. My view was to boot the system under Linux, access the drive and copy all the data to a backup external drive (provided the drive's entire contents weren't encrypted, which is not what Win10 does by default). Once that is done, he could reformat / reinstall / whatever ... start over.

Edited by LordFerret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Again, guys, either answer the OP's question or skip to the next thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016/10/2 at 4:26 PM, qbranzen said:

I have an old game PC and recently I upgraded to Windows 10. I just got a branded new machine and planned to use the old one for data backup. however, i couldn't figure out the password i set a few days ago. Is it possible to recover the password? i have a lot of game downloads and videos on the computer. 

If the safe mode doesn't work, then try some free windows password recovery tool, like Ophcrack.
The Ophcrack Windows password cracker is by far the best free Windows password recovery tool available. It's fast and easy enough for a first time Windows password cracker with a basic knowledge of Windows.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (ONTP&RE) works differently than most password recovery programs in that it erases your Windows password instead of recovering it. You can think of it as more of a Windows password reset tool.

UUkeys windows password recovery, which is a desktop software can reset all account & password for all windows, just need a USB drive, and an accessible computer, then reset windows 10 password without data loss.

 Like Ophcrack, you boot form a burned disc or flash drive created with the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor ISO file. After running the program, you can log in to your Windows account without entering a password at all.
 

 

Edited by ChrisHunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a warning with ophcrack you will need to download rainbow tables wich can be huge up to several gigabytes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of doing fancy stuff with decryption and all that, just get yourself a linux flash drive and do this:

1. Find your hard drive

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

3. Find the file sethc.exe, and remove it from the folder*

4. Make a copy of cmd.exe, also in the same folder, and rename the copy to sethc.exe

5. Now reboot into windows, and if you press shift five times, a Command Prompt will appear.

6. Enter the command: "net user username_here password_here", of course replacing username and password with your real username and new password.

7. Unless you want a dangerous backdoor on your system, go back and remove the fake sethc.exe and replace it with the real one.

*Don't delete it, move it somewhere else so you can put it back later.

 

This should be way easier than messing with crazy pentesting/hacker/cracker tools. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2016 at 10:26 AM, qbranzen said:

I have an old game PC and recently I upgraded to Windows 10. I just got a branded new machine and planned to use the old one for data backup. however, i couldn't figure out the password i set a few days ago. Is it possible to recover the password?

No, you cannot. If you could clarify your intentions and user case a bit more, however, we might be able to help you with a suitable and responsible solution that matches your technical skill set. As you have not been on-line since you asked this question, it might be better to hold off any more solutions until we know more about your case. Most people that know a bit about IT do not feel comfortable handing people potentially harmful techniques without knowing the background of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MDZhB said:

Instead of doing fancy stuff with decryption and all that, just get yourself a linux flash drive and do this:

1. Find your hard drive

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

3. Find the file sethc.exe, and remove it from the folder*

4. Make a copy of cmd.exe, also in the same folder, and rename the copy to sethc.exe

5. Now reboot into windows, and if you press shift five times, a Command Prompt will appear.

6. Enter the command: "net user username_here password_here", of course replacing username and password with your real username and new password.

7. Unless you want a dangerous backdoor on your system, go back and remove the fake sethc.exe and replace it with the real one.

*Don't delete it, move it somewhere else so you can put it back later.

 

This should be way easier than messing with crazy pentesting/hacker/cracker tools. Good luck!

Your method is almost the same as the trick I followed two days ago, and it worked like a charm! This backdoor seems to work since Windows Vista, and Microsoft doesn't plan to block it.

Edited by briansiea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM, MDZhB said:

Instead of doing fancy stuff with decryption and all that, just get yourself a linux flash drive and do this:

1. Find your hard drive

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

3. Find the file sethc.exe, and remove it from the folder*

4. Make a copy of cmd.exe, also in the same folder, and rename the copy to sethc.exe

5. Now reboot into windows, and if you press shift five times, a Command Prompt will appear.

6. Enter the command: "net user username_here password_here", of course replacing username and password with your real username and new password.

7. Unless you want a dangerous backdoor on your system, go back and remove the fake sethc.exe and replace it with the real one.

*Don't delete it, move it somewhere else so you can put it back later.

 

This should be way easier than messing with crazy pentesting/hacker/cracker tools. Good luck!

Whatever you do DO NOT TYPE net user (your user name here) /random DO NOT DO THAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2016 at 8:27 PM, Ethanadams said:

Just a warning with ophcrack you will need to download rainbow tables wich can be huge up to several gigabytes 

it would take hours to crack the password without the table. I learned my lesson several days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.