Turret systems for BD armoury, Aviator Arsenal etc. weaponry

FLying-FINN

I just got an idea! Since there is only the Infernal Robotics mod that lets you rotate and elevate missiles, guns and other things at the moment, it would be really cool if there was a mod that lets you build your own turrets that work with BD Armourys mouse aim. For example you could choose your turret ring size/type (hand cranked or motorized), gun elevation mechanism, etc. and orcourse the gun or other thing you want to point at your enemy. It would be also cool to be able to add armour to the turret. Also "new" different caliber guns to have some options to put on your turret.

Turret rings:
-Different sizes
-Types (motorized/hand cranked)

Gun elevation mechanisms:
-Different sizes
-Different heights
-Types (motorized/hand cranked)

Sights:
-Optical
-Laser
-Artillery/indirect fire (distance based?)

7 hours ago, FLying-FINN said:

it would be really cool if there was a mod that lets you build your own turrets that work with BD Armourys mouse

Sadly as the code stands that's not currently possible, it's been tried so many times, by so many different mod makers. Right now the turret rotation and pitch are run by a turret module, this module only acts as a slave, so the turret doesn't point the gun, the gun points the turret, and the real kicker is that the turret module can only function when combined, in one part, with a weapon module of some type, it sadly will not function any other way. 

I've tried using turrets for cameras and search lights, and it's a big fail , Baha himself stated that it would never work and now having come to know the code a bit myself I can see why. 

What you can do that works quite well is make a simple turret, just a nicely militaristic box, give it a decent amount sas torque, mount it on an IR free docking washer, glue a radially attachable gun to the turret and it works quite respectably, of course it has basic point and shoot functions but cant access the advanced stuff that comes with a full part.

But as an idea yes it would be cool, but i think that it'd take a complete rework of BDAc to make it happen, and perhaps it'd be better  to derive some ideas from BDAc and start afresh with the modular target in mind from the first

Just now, FLying-FINN said:

Oh god damn it.. I would have been so happy if i could build my own weapon systems in KSP. :(

I know you , me and many other too. that said there's still room for innovation within  BDAc and some of the things that have in the past been declared impossible have actually been done, with some careful unity hierarchy manipulation some very cool things are possible. IE combined fully functional missile and cannon turrets for things like the Tunguska are now a thing, Ballistic missiles with  trajectories that were declared impossible(within the current code) by Baha  can now be built and be very accurate indeed.

So try it  mess with the hierarchy there may be some way that somebody has yet to think of that would allow it to work, who knows a fresh set of eyes may unlock that secret too.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.