[v0.3] K.M.A.P. - Kerbal Math and Applied Physics - All In One Calculator

HClskkq.png
"KMAP_with_Subtitle" by Hysterrics

Welcome to K.M.A.P.! The work in progress all-in-one calculator for those who like doing the math and equations, but don't like the tedium of notepad and their O.S. calculator! The goal of this project is to learn the math that goes into doing Kerbal Space Program, but also to teach others how to use these equations--which means that my primary design goals are to make it both useful and educational. Over time, I will gradually iterate on this calculator to include more and more features, and improve the general design and look of the program. I want this to be an amazing tool for everyone, so please, don't hesitate on the feedback. If I screwed something up, it only hurts everyone if it doesn't get fixed.

X3YiUTN.png
Screenshot of Version 0.2

Download:
http://spacedock.info/mod/966/K.M.A.P. - Kerbal Math and Applied Physics
(source project files are packaged with the download)

Licensed under BSD
You can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

-CHANGELOG-

Spoiler

v0.3
-Added a gear icon at the top-right of the window. Clicking it opens a small settings window, with two functional settings that can be turned on and off (which are both on by default). Also added a save and default-settings button.
EDIT: I actually moved the gear icon later on, and forgot to fix it in the changelog file. Oh well.
-The first added setting controls how values get inputted for you after clicking calculate. E.g. with the setting turned on, after calculating the acceleration in the TWR tab, the acceleration will be automatically inputted into the TWR calculator.
-The second added setting controls how output boxes get automatically cleared when you change any of the input values. E.g. if you change the mass values for the stage Delta V, with the option turned on, the Delta V output will be cleared.
-Tweaked UI elements again; mostly just changed the fonts to use Roboto instead of Microsoft Sans Serif. Also renamed a few of the tabs.
-Added a button at the top-right within the tabcontrol--for each tab--which opens up a window which explains the equations being used in more detail, and removed the information that clutters the inside of tabs.
-Made it so that when you click on the richtextbox at the bottom, the default text will clear, and it will put that text back in if the box is empty when you click off of it.
-Added a new tab for credits because I need more space to tell people how awesome they are :D. I added credits for the icon I'm using for the math windows, as well as credits to Hysterrics for the new logo he made for me (which I have also thrown into the credits tab, and am using a cropped version of it for the file's icon).
-I took semi-major axis and put it in its own tab.
-Added a rearranged version of the Orbital Period calculator, such that you can input the height of one of the apsides, and the orbital period, and get the height of the other apside.
-Changed the recommended minimum bounds for TWR from 2 to 2.2 (which I read on the KSP wiki page for advanced rocket designs, and decided to trust for the time being).
-Made the gravity textbox for TWR edit-able in case anyone wants to calculate TWR on other celestial bodies.
-Added a Hohmann Transfer tab. Mostly complete, although I still have some work to do with this tab (especially the form that explains some of the math, which I simply don't have time to finish). It is, however, still functional.

v0.2.1
-The math formulas in the rich text boxes in each tab now appear on start, and don't require the user to hover over the boxes to view them.
-Added unit of measurement to lots of text box labels.
-Minor tweaks in the description of the Isp and Delta V tab, to hopefully better reflect how to use this calculator (being that things are done one stage at a time).
-The user is no longer able to type letters into the text boxes. Copy-pasting letters still works, however. Will be fixed at a later date.
-Completely overhauled the Isp calculation system to use a list view object instead of a series of text boxes. Input what you want, and it'll calculate with however many inputs you give it.
-Added rich text box at the bottom of the program for anything that one might want to write down between tabs.
-The list view system used for Isp has been applied to the total Delta V calculator.
-UI elements have had slight size changes, and lots of rearrangements.
-Orbital Period tab mostly completed. User can calculate their Semi-Major Axis, as well as their Orbital Period.
-Source project files included in the download.

v0.1
-Release
-TWR, Isp, and Delta V (+Stage Delta V) calculator included.

Edited by Anase Skyrider

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Hi @Anase Skyrider, sorry but I had to remove your download link, we don't allow links from that host due to NSFW advertising. Please find another host for your app (which does look pretty great, btw).

What hosts are allowed? I'd prefer to avoid repositories like Tortoise or Git simply because I find them too tedious to deal with for the time being.

Just now, Anase Skyrider said:

What hosts are allowed? I'd prefer to avoid repositories like Tortoise or Git simply because I find them too tedious to deal with for the time being.

The one you used is the only one explicitly banned that I'm aware of. Github is popular as it makes sharing the source (required) easy, alternatives like dropbox, google drive are fine too, or you could use a modding site like spacedock.info or kerbal.curseforge.com.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

The one you used is the only one explicitly banned that I'm aware of. Github is popular as it makes sharing the source (required) easy, alternatives like dropbox, google drive are fine too, or you could use a modding site like spacedock.info or kerbal.curseforge.com.

I was thinking I could use spacedock, but I wasn't sure if it'd be okay to use it for applications instead of mods.

37 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I don't imagine they would mind. Be sure to include the source and license in the download, as required here. :) 

What do you mean include the source in the download? I edited my post. How does it look?
EDIT: So in the zip file that people download, I need to include like a readme that lists the spacedock website source, and the license it's using?

Edited by Anase Skyrider

1 minute ago, Anase Skyrider said:

What do you mean include the source in the download? I edited my post. How does it look?

The source code must be made available per our forum rules governing add-ons and tools, readable here. It doesn't necessarily have to be included in the download (though that is a simple way to do it) but must be available somewhere.

Your new host and license seem fine, thanks for fixing it.

11 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The source code must be made available per our forum rules governing add-ons and tools, readable here. It doesn't necessarily have to be included in the download (though that is a simple way to do it) but must be available somewhere.

Your new host and license seem fine, thanks for fixing it.

Alright. No problem. I need to put that stuff inside the download files, then. You also missed the Mediafire links contained in the changelog spoiler, but I removed those while I was doing this. While I'm at it, I'll see what I can do about the source code. There's a .pdb file in the folder that I'm pretty sure contains the source code, but it's unreadable in Notepad and Notepad++, so I'll have to figure something out.

Edited by Anase Skyrider

• 4 weeks later...

I took a fairly long break from development (partially due to some stuff that's been happening around me). I resumed work a few days ago, and I've done quite a bit since then. Presently waiting for either discovery, or community input, on what other calculations I should add to the program. I want to add one new tab with a working calculator with each .1 update.

So that's what's been going on. Sorry I went a little quiet on the forum (although I've been pretty active on a KSP Discord server). I can't really give an ETA on when the next release is. Maybe within the next week? Don't hold me to it, though.

Edited by Anase Skyrider
Fixed a wording error.

Ayy lmao boys

I actually gave the calculator a bit of a shot yesterday. I was very impressed with it! It's very convenient and does most of the work for you. Might not be in game or anything super fancy, but at least you don't have to wait for updates when KSP updates. So that's cool!

Looking forward to seeing this develop!

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't have proper internet (long story), but my free time hasn't been entirely wasted not on KMAP. I'm trying to build a system using .json files that acts as a database for planet and moon data, which KMAP can extract info from, and so far its only usage is for the comboboxes (the textboxes with dropdown menus) for masses and radii. The system almost entirely works except for this one bug I can't figure out, which is going to delay the next release. Note: The .json database is also being used so that users can enter in their own data if they're using mods which modify, add, or remove, planets and moons. This also means that I no longer have the burden of dealing with mod compatibility because it becomes trivially easy for the user to pop into the tracking center, write down the info that's needed for a complete database entry, and then edit the file.

I won't release until I can fix this issue, and when I add another tab with some calculation stuff. I have added a Misc tab, and followed g_BonE's suggestion for decimal to DMS (and vice versa) conversion, but that's just extra and I don't count it. No idea how long it will take for v0.4 to come out.

Note2: The decimal-DMS thing doesn't come built for latitude and longitude, but I left a note in the tab that explains how to figure out if it's north or south and stuff. It's probably wrong, though, because I don't ever work with latitude and longitude, but oh well. I didn't want to build it only for latitude and longitude in case there were any other purposes for decimal-DMS conversion.

Edited by Anase Skyrider

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.