Ideas on what will happen to KSP in 2030

Nucluer

In that timescale, KSP should have fade away long time ago, But if it still exists, there would be several major changes.

Due to improving science and technologies, KSP would be more and more complex as younger generations have more knowledge, probably to the point of ullage, fuels, ignitions and stuffs. With 2030s' computers, KSP would be much bigger than now. Probably life supports, stress, microgravity and radiation threats, weather stuffs and n-body physics, and FAR atmospheric remodeling get included? Scatterer-style graphics would be so common, and probably hyper-realistic mods. More types of parts will get included as more and more ideas is developed in the dawn of the manned space exploration, and experimental parts would make more and more efficient interstellar trips.

2030 is 14 years away.

Thats about as long ago as when they made the first Halo... 10 years later (2011) it got an anniversary edition with update graphics. Halo was a Huge success, and few people play halo 1 today...

In 14 years, I think the best we can hope for is KSP 2 or KSP 3 using a new game engine, but perhaps reusing some parts (like a combat-game sequel having some of the same weapons or vehicles as its predecessor)

3 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Due to improving science and technologies, KSP would be more and more complex as younger generations have more knowledge, probably to the point of ullage, fuels, ignitions and stuffs. With 2030s' computers, KSP would be much bigger than now. Probably life supports, stress, microgravity and radiation threats, weather stuffs and n-body physics, and FAR atmospheric remodeling get included? Scatterer-style graphics would be so common, and probably hyper-realistic mods. More types of parts will get included as more and more ideas is developed in the dawn of the manned space exploration, and experimental parts would make more and more efficient interstellar trips.

Technology in this aspect is improving slowly now, we're hitting the limits and we need fundamental breakthroughs like quantum computing/photonic circuits/etc... hard to predict if that will come by 2030... I doubt they will have widespread adoption. That said, scatterer like graphics should become standard as the price of current top of the line hardware comes down.

I also question your assertion of younger generations having more knowledge.

On the other hand, the sum total of human knowledge increases, and to a lesser extent the sum total of KSP mods will increase. The mod variety will be huge... its almost always increasing (some mods do die off as they aren't maintained for future updates).

If every KSP player just made one worthwhile/quality mod (even a small on like a planet mod or part mod), can you imagine the quantity of quality mods available? Well... its already very large.

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

2030 is 14 years away.

Thats about as long ago as when they made the first Halo... 10 years later (2011) it got an anniversary edition with update graphics. Halo was a Huge success, and few people play halo 1 today...

In 14 years, I think the best we can hope for is KSP 2 or KSP 3 using a new game engine, but perhaps reusing some parts (like a combat-game sequel having some of the same weapons or vehicles as its predecessor)

Technology in this aspect is improving slowly now, we're hitting the limits and we need fundamental breakthroughs like quantum computing/photonic circuits/etc... hard to predict if that will come by 2030... I doubt they will have widespread adoption. That said, scatterer like graphics should become standard as the price of current top of the line hardware comes down.

I also question your assertion of younger generations having more knowledge.

On the other hand, the sum total of human knowledge increases, and to a lesser extent the sum total of KSP mods will increase. The mod variety will be huge... its almost always increasing (some mods do die off as they aren't maintained for future updates).

If every KSP player just made one worthwhile/quality mod (even a small on like a planet mod or part mod), can you imagine the quantity of quality mods available? Well... its already very large.

Maybe I'm quite wrong about that, so...

Anyways, improvement always find the way. The best we can hope is that humanity never abandon the technological advancement...

7 minutes ago, Kaiser82 said:

Not all of us can make mods. I wouldnt have the slightest clue where to even begin.

Well it doesn't take much to retexture a structural plate to make a roadsign, however that is as far as my modding goes.

With all of todays advances in biotechnology, things like CRISPR/CAS 9, we'll be creating Kerbals (giving them life), using 3D printers to create actual rockets that really launch/fly, and launching our Kerbals skyward.

Of course we'll run amok and eventually some yahoo right to life group will step up and stop us ... all those Jebs dying and being maimed and all that.

Transmissions from Earth showing just how much we enjoy tormenting and blowing up small green creatures will have just about reached Wolf 1061c (a planet ~14 light years away) and the local residents (a small green space faring race) will mistake them for training simulations for our planned invasion of their world, and declare war on Earth. In 2030 KSP will be responsible for starting an interplanetary war. 

48 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Transmissions from Earth showing just how much we enjoy tormenting and blowing up small green creatures will have just about reached Wolf 1061c (a planet ~14 light years away) and the local residents (a small green space faring race) will mistake them for training simulations for our planned invasion of their world, and declare war on Earth. In 2030 KSP will be responsible for starting an interplanetary war. 

You're assuming we're actually broadcasting radio or TV signals about KSP (Wi-Fi doesn't count). I'm guessing most of the KSP content is shared without high power radio broadcasting :)

That being said, I really doubt KSP would ever become what Hypercosmic is projecting. No developer would ever put in that amount of work to sell a $40 title.

See what has changed in Microsoft Flight Simulator over it's 20+ year life. Lots of eye candy, but the flight model didn't change much, and aircraft systems wise, FSX didn't put much on the table that wasn't already done/possible in MFS5.0.

This seems to have turned into a joke thread, and so it has been moved to The Lounge. 

@Nucluer, if you intended a serious discussion, please start a new thread in the Development Discussion subforum. To forestall these ^ clowns, though, please give it a more specific first post with some indication of which matters you'd like to discuss. 

In 2030 KSP pre-12.2 will break KSP 12.1-beta mods compatibility. No doubts, just accept this.

If in 2030 KSP will still alive, there are two options:
- an old indie game popular with old f...f...fans like 2002 simulators, strategies and shooters now.
- MicroBlizzard or Ubithesda will have bought all rights and make something console-like.

Given the longevity of some software, KSP could conceivably last to 2030. It would be a big maybe though. If it does get to that point without dwindling into the forgotten plains of the internet, it would hugely benefit from the advanced technology that we will have developed in 14 years 1, giving us an extremely realistic space simulator with amazing graphics.

1; With that being said, 10 years ago I thought we would have colonies on Mars by now. I was most definitely wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Technical Ben said:

People on the ISS(replacement) Simulate their entire mission in their spare time.

Even more. The ISS replacement will be designed in KSP.
(Do you think, I'm joking? No.
Just they, who will design it, probably will have an experience of KSP playing and of course would design it first at home just for fun.)