[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

It means the magnets will only target the little magno-pads, and not anything they latch onto.

Not sure what your ask is - the snap angle can be adjusted on the fly to what you need?  And it would always be the same for both parts since it is based on their relative angle...

Because that would be a major code change that involved dynamically moving the nodes around, which is a bit non trivial (i.e. we're right back to rewriting a combination of IR and KAS).

...magno-pads? Must scour parts to try to find... they in Structural, maybe? I swear I looked pretty thoroughly for anything called something like that, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm blind. <.<

As for the magnet/grappler combo, the grappler is something that's in the stock game. Is there some reason the magnet can't work with an intervening part between it and whatever it's attracting? If it can work through things, you could literally add a miniature version of the Claw onto the bottom of the magnet if it had a node, and have it grapple whatever the magnet attracts into contact with it. Then I figured, "Well why not make it invisible?" If not though, then yeah, that'd be tougher.

Not doubting your word, just not quite sure we're talking about the same concept, since I meant the Advanced Grabbing Unit, not winches from KAS.

Anyway, if I can find the magno-pads, hopefully the magnet will work better with those than with the raw tops of the Duna modules.

Edit: definitely not seeing anything like that... can someone point them out to me?

Edited by FirroSeranel

The stock grappler is already magnetic - added that in at launch.  The bit of your ask that gets funky is when you added 'Crane'.  The crane moves around it's magnetic point.  Which is fine.  It does not have a node at the end.  That's a pretty important point.  Because to add one (and attach said 'mini grappler' to it) now means I have to move the node around.  i.e. I've just wrote Infernal Robotics.

Looks like the pad is missing - I'll take a peek

14 hours ago, travin said:

@RoverDude I was able to finally get the ports working. It seams that in CKAN, some of the DLLs included in your other mods are different than what is available on the Konstruction Github. I just installed from source first and then installed everything else.

One thing I did notice is that the angle setting only works if both ports are set to the same? This means they are not useful as I cannot adjust the angle independently to ensure parts of offset correctly.

Is there something I'm missing? The options for these ports are not really documented anywhere.

Thanks for all the hard work.

I can't get my parts to dock at the desired angle either. I've had a frustrating time with two modules for a Duna ship:

1) module 1 (both ports set to 90 degrees) is 90 degrees out of alignment. No matter what I do, if I undock the ports, the Konstruction port will not dock with any other port (Konstruction or otherwise). Therefore I haven't been able to change settings and realign it.

2) module 2 (one port set to 90 degrees, one to 180 degrees) is 180 degrees out of alignment. So I thought I'd undock, change it to 0 degrees (since that would rotate the module 180 degrees, right?) but had the same problem - cant' undock and re-dock with anything, Konstruction port or otherwise.

@RoverDudeI didn't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this was addressed before. When I place the Akita small wheels at the sides of platforms they tend to ignore any kind of physics force (dampers, springs, etc, you can tell by the initial vessel drop down, the wheels won't bounce when hitting the ground) and keep spinning in their place when accelerating or braking, and the rover won't move.

I really love the welding docking ports. I did notice a small peculiarity. surface attached parts move more (when welding them) than they should. They seem to move double the height of a welding port. It has placed some parts hanging in vacuum.

lights.jpg

The surface lights originally were attached symmetrically at both ends of the row of life support containers.

Edited by TheCardinal

It just updated a few minutes ago - 0.1.6

0.1.6 - 2016.10.22
------------------
Two new parts - Lateral and Inline adjustable legs
You can now assing groups with master/slave servos
You can now highlight konstruction servo parts as needed
Lots of revisions to construction ports - toggle for angle snap, and some other PAW changes
CTT configs!  (Thanks theRagingIrishman!)
Akita Tags!  (Thanks DavidRWilliamsJr!)
Moved all fallback categories for Konstruction to SpecializedConstruction

RoverDude, I have one suggestion. I hope you accept this.

At the construct docking port, the suggestion is a feature 'Adjust angle after docking'.

Actually It's very confusing to use 'range, torque, roll, snap' to attach something planned angle. But if there is some method to adjust angle after docking(without undocking and re-docking), It would be used just like normal docking port when docking without thinking snap and else more.

If the feature provides adjusting absolute angle and relative angle both, It can be used variatly, but I think relative angle adjust is not so mandatory.

@RoverDude Hmm. There seems to be just one way to insert wheels, and that's the regular way I use when snapping anything to anything. How can I tell I am placing those wheels wrong? They look like they're in their right position, they snap right and there's no warning about them not working whatsoever. BTW, I tried to rotate and put them in all kind of existing positions and still they won't work correctly.

@RoverDudeOh, disregard that last reply. All I had to do was rotate them 90º CCW and they worked! Thanks for this mod and your quick replies! There's one thing concerning wheels, and that is when you pick them from the assets list. Make sure you create the ghost part in its right direction when building. Thanks again!

Edited by Flakorama

Hey Rover, quick question, how can I place other parts in the "construction" tab you added? Basically, what I did is I removed everything but the weldable docking ports from the mod, so what I'd like to do is move then to the normal docking tab, and then use the construction tab for parts I've part welded to keep them from cluttering my normal tabs, but I can't figure out how to make anything appear in the construction tab either in welder (semi-expected) or even by manually editing the part cfg.

Thx

44 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

Hey Rover, quick question, how can I place other parts in the "construction" tab you added? Basically, what I did is I removed everything but the weldable docking ports from the mod, so what I'd like to do is move then to the normal docking tab, and then use the construction tab for parts I've part welded to keep them from cluttering my normal tabs, but I can't figure out how to make anything appear in the construction tab either in welder (semi-expected) or even by manually editing the part cfg.

Thx

Change the manufacturer of your part to match the Konstruction parts. You have to set category=none to prevent it from showing up in other tabs. 

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The stock grappler is already magnetic - added that in at launch.  The bit of your ask that gets funky is when you added 'Crane'.  The crane moves around it's magnetic point.  Which is fine.  It does not have a node at the end.  That's a pretty important point.  Because to add one (and attach said 'mini grappler' to it) now means I have to move the node around.  i.e. I've just wrote Infernal Robotics.

Looks like the pad is missing - I'll take a peek

Ohhhh, that makes sense. I didn't think of that, but yeah, now that you mention it, IR does involve moving nodes, and... nothing in the stock game really does, does it? Animations never effect any other parts, and nothing can attach, even in surface attachment, to anything that can move (like cargo bay doors). Gotcha. Thanks for explaining!

4 hours ago, Probus said:

Can anyone tell me, do Konstruction docking ports dock with clamp-o-trons?  I don't think they do.

I've also had issues a couple of times where a decoupler attached to one won't activate through staging, though it did through the context menu, thankfully. Still couldn't activate the separatrons connected to the nosecone though, which I'd hoped to be enough to deorbit it to keep from adding more debris to my orbit