[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

4 hours ago, szaybus said:

@RoverDude or anyone else for that matter - any idea why one of the construction port suddenly became the root part of my station?

Now i can't use the compress function (because the root part can't "disappear"?)

Scheema: Tundra Pioneer - Tundra Hub - Tundra Habitat - Construction port (docked) Construction port - Tundra hub - Construction port

I started with the tundra pioneer module with one port on the end, added a 6 way hub with 2 ports, merged - was ok.

Added a tundra kerbitat with 2 ports and merged again - still i thought was ok.

Hauled another 6 way hub with 2 ports to orbit, docked and tried to "compress" the ports between kerbitat and hub - error - one of the ports is the "root' part...

Any way to fix this without disassembling the station?

I tried to blow the last port with KIS Explosive to force change the root part for the vessel but i cant attach it to the port.

Any other mod that allows you to destroy the root part of a vessel in flight?

As a fix: Edit 'grabMaxMass' in your KIS config to something obscenely huge, and then send an Engineer out on EVA to pick up the station and attach it to the hub.  You may want to increase distances as well.

It has to be 'pick up the station' because again KIS can't pick up the root part without picking up the whole object - but you can pick up everything *but* the root object as a sub-assembly.  So in this case your sub-assembly will be the station (minus the port).

Be ready for your Kerbal to gain huge amounts of velocity if something goes wrong.  (It's not impossible that your first probe out of the solar system will be a lone Kerbal in their suit...)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

As a fix: Edit 'grabMaxMass' in your KIS config to something obscenely huge, and then send an Engineer out on EVA to pick up the station and attach it to the hub.  You may want to increase distances as well.

It has to be 'pick up the station' because again KIS can't pick up the root part without picking up the whole object - but you can pick up everything *but* the root object as a sub-assembly.  So in this case your sub-assembly will be the station (minus the port).

Be ready for your Kerbal to gain huge amounts of velocity if something goes wrong.  (It's not impossible that your first probe out of the solar system will be a lone Kerbal in their suit...)

I fixed it the KIS way: 

Still - its very annoying.

@RoverDude could you possibly somehow blacklist the ports from becoming root elements? Just like some elements in the VAB are forbidden from being the first part of the vessel.

Edited by szaybus
Last sentence didn't make much sense...

Not sure where to put this, but my game entirely hangs on loading the KSC 

BDE148C4D55274CAA33E7EC1D8A29E75622360A7

It's one of the USI mods that is doing it, not sure which one yet. Without it, loads fine. With it, simply hangs forever. The KSP log says

[EXC 21:46:08.370] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:46:08.372] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update ()
[EXC 21:46:08.372] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 21:46:08.388] NullReferenceException: 

Over and over and over again. Not sure what's happening, maybe an incompatibility? I've used USI mods for a long time...

EDIT: Removed Exploration pack and Konstruction, I believe it's this mod

Edited by The Destroyer

1 hour ago, The Destroyer said:

It's one of the USI mods that is doing it, not sure which one yet. Without it, loads fine. With it, simply hangs forever. The KSP log says

[EXC 21:46:08.370] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

But all of these NREs refer to Kopernicus.  It doesn't seem to be a Konstruction problem.

I have a question:

How this mod's robotic joints behave while vessel is not active and timewarp is used? Especially far from Kerbin?

Infernal Robotics mod slowly turns all the part tree after the robotic part into part cloud ...

Things on the Kerbin surface are mostly safe, but the further you get, the worse the problem ...

Can this mod be used as substitute of Infernal Robotics in this case: ?

jJhSD7s.png

fLaeFyL.png

Vessels equipped with this Comms assembly are supposed to traverse Kerbol system from Moho to Jool and beyond...

On 12/4/2016 at 2:21 PM, LucasGamingBestAll said:

What does this mod require to?

?

16 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Not sure where to put this, but my game entirely hangs on loading the KSC 

Over and over and over again. Not sure what's happening, maybe an incompatibility? I've used USI mods for a long time...

EDIT: Removed Exploration pack and Konstruction, I believe it's this mod

That does not make sense given your log is showing Kopernicus....

9 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

I have a question:

How this mod's robotic joints behave while vessel is not active and timewarp is used? Especially far from Kerbin?

Infernal Robotics mod slowly turns all the part tree after the robotic part into part cloud ...

Things on the Kerbin surface are mostly safe, but the further you get, the worse the problem ...

Can this mod be used as substitute of Infernal Robotics in this case: ?

I think you might be confused as to what this mod does.  It does not in any way facilitate inter-part connections.

@Brigadier @RoverDude Yeah, I know. The thing is, without Konstruction, it loads fine. With it, it never does. Without Konstruction the error message didn't appear, and I played the game fine, aside from the log being filled with 

[EXC 22:31:27.047] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_Editor.GenerateWindow ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_Editor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 22:31:27.048] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

I'm using SVE, Texture replacer, KSPI, all of near future, KJR, Dmagics flexodocking, science relay, all of USIs mods except survival, konstruction, and the rovers, SSTU, play your way, KAS/KIS, stage recovery

Edited by The Destroyer

And that log is completely different... and references a different mod.

I fully expect there's something about your install you are not telling us.  So probably start with basics like KSP version, mod version, screenshot of your GameData folder, etc.

(Better yet use KSP-AVC to show me a list of all mod versions - all of the USI mods support this)

Edited by RoverDude

1.2.2, which might be the problem, wasn't sure if such a minor update would break it

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.7.4.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.6
B9 Part Switch - 1.5.1
Community Category Kit - 1.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.3
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
Firespitter - 7.4.2
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.2.9
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.1
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.2
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.2
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.1
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.4
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
Play Your Way - 1.0.1
RCS Sounds - 5.0
Science Relay - 1.0.3
SSTULabs - 0.5.33.129
StageRecovery - 1.6.5
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.1.4
TweakScale - 2.3.2
USI Core - 0.3.4
Karbonite - 0.8.3
Karbonite Plus - 0.7.3
USI-LS - 0.5.13
UKS - 0.50.7
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.11.3

@RoverDude

It's weird, in all my versions of heavily modding and playing KSP, I've never encountered one where it doesn't load. Specifically, it loads into main menu just fine, but loading save into KSC it never does. In fact, if I'm not focused on the window (using borderless) with konstruction, it won't load into the main menu at all.

EDIT: Uhh.. I re-installed Konstruction again and it ran fine. Maybe it's actually the survival pack, (didn't think it was that as I've used it since the start and never had a problem), testing that now... alright, tested. It's not Konstruction at all, but the survival pack. For some reason, having that installed causes the nullref spam from Kopernicus and the game refuses to load

Edited by The Destroyer
Survival pack is the issue

On 11/25/2016 at 5:39 PM, hatterson said:
  Reveal hidden contents

HJvNKvU.png

(Sorry about the quote - forum broken, especially on mobile.)

The Destroyer: Known issue with the latest version of Kopernicus. It's doing something weird and it causes KSP to die when loading lots of other mods. A fix is coming from that mod, as that is where the actual problem is.

22 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I think you might be confused as to what this mod does.  It does not in any way facilitate inter-part connections.

Khajiit was looking for alternative to IR, and good humans sent me this way. There were wrong? Should Khajiit eat them?

May be this human know a mod that can be used to make 2 axis controllable antenna mounts? Khajiit would be grateful ...

2 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

Khajiit was looking for alternative to IR, and good humans sent me this way. There were wrong? Should Khajiit eat them?

May be this human know a mod that can be used to make 2 axis controllable antenna mounts? Khajiit would be grateful ...

This mod is probably the closest thing to an alternative to IR that exists - but what you want needs to be IR at the moment.  Sorry.

15 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

To expand a little further to what others have confirmed, which is that this is not a replacement for IR. This mod adds 'magnets' to parts and enables you to move those magnets around in relation to the attachment node(of which there is only one). So there is only ever one attachment node, and it's at the bottom of the crane. There is no attachment node at the magnet end and this is why fundamentally this mod can't replace IR because there is no way of EVER attaching anything to the end. The part being picked up is only ever being 'attracted' to the magnet, never attached to it. 

The whole mechanic that roverdue has introduced here is all about temporarily picking things up and moving them around for construction purposes. He had a specific purpose he intended it to fill and that was never as a replacement to IR.

Any mod that wants to move an attachment node around, which is a completely fundamental element of any hinge in ksp, would essentially have to rewrite IR. So it's unlikely that this will ever happen unless someone has a strong desire to do so. Which i can't see happening with IR around.

On 12/4/2016 at 6:09 PM, szaybus said:

I fixed it the KIS way: 

Still - its very annoying.

@RoverDude could you possibly somehow blacklist the ports from becoming root elements? Just like some elements in the VAB are forbidden from being the first part of the vessel.

Thanks for posting the fix....  :cool::cool:

I just had the same issue...  Docked a module to my Mun space station and could not compress the parts as one of them had become root.

Not a clue why.....

The docking modukle had an engineer (luckily) insie a capsule that was root with a drill.

The stations root was the CA08-M 'Torekka'. Why after docking the construction port became root I do not know.

Edited by FizzerUK

To all that are having trouble with the construction ports becoming root,

Are you launching a craft with mating construction ports?  Once the mating ports are uncoupled the part closest to the original root part should become the root of the new craft that was just decoupled.  In this case that would be a construction port.  

Hi!

I have a bit of trouble with the Weldable docking ports.

Using two Construction Port Sr., I  try to Dock. I get very close, perfectly aligned but the Magnetic force just doesn't kick in. They refuse to acquire.

I have already tried to press "Reset Acqire" on both ports multiple times, and I have also Quicksaved/Quickloaded multiple times. I have checked the persistant file and the ModuleDockingNode for both ports is in "state = Ready". 

It should be mentioned that one of the ports was launched in a stack of Construction ports, and I took it off of the stack and attached it to my ship using KAS. But that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Any idea how to get them to Dock?

Edit 2: Here is a save file that should be somewhat loadable with only the USI constellation:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/ConstructionPort2-nodock.sfs

The docking ports are perfectly aligned, and at 1m distance. Just quickload the file, and press H to go forward. You will observe that the ports simply bump into each other without acquiring.

Edit: Here are the part sections from the persistency file. Maybe you can spot something that's off:

PART
{
	name = ConstructionPort2
	cid = 4292737624
	uid = 1085751540
	mid = 3740116395
	launchID = 250
	parent = 0
	position = -0.00072278868174180388,-0.12642186880111694,0.00041033251909539104
	rotation = 1,7.1045426E-05,-7.63077987E-05,8.9209716E-05
	mirror = 1,1,1
	symMethod = Mirror
	istg = -1
	resPri = 0
	dstg = 0
	sqor = -1
	sepI = 0
	sidx = -1
	attm = 0
	srfN = , -1
	attN = top, -1
	attN = bottom, 0
	mass = 0.200000003
	shielded = False
	temp = 167.66978580941918
	tempExt = 167.67666499334899
	tempExtUnexp = 4
	expt = 0.5
	state = 0
	attached = True
	autostrutMode = Off
	rigidAttachment = False
	flag = Squad/Flags/spheres
	rTrf = ConstructionPort2
	modCost = 0
	EVENTS
	{
	}
	ACTIONS
	{
	}
	PARTDATA
	{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		isEnabled = True
		crossfeed = True
		stagingEnabled = False
		state = Ready
		dockUId = 0
		dockNodeIdx = 0
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
			UndockAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			DecoupleAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			EnableXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			DisableXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			ToggleXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeldablePort
		isEnabled = True
		portForce = 2
		portTorque = 2
		portRoll = 0
		portRange = 1
		portAngle = 180
		portSnap = True
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNodeNamed
		isEnabled = True
		portName = Weldport A
		initialized = True
		controlTransformName = 
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
		isEnabled = True
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
}

PART
{
	name = ConstructionPort2
	cid = 4294315384
	uid = 1762689569
	mid = 2886604579
	launchID = 244
	parent = 227
	position = 1.2952073812484741,1.7896182537078857,-0.02064061164855957
	rotation = 0.00460267672,-0.00379888481,0.707133412,-0.707054973
	mirror = 1,1,1
	symMethod = Radial
	istg = -1
	resPri = 0
	dstg = 0
	sqor = -1
	sepI = 0
	sidx = -1
	attm = 0
	srfN = , -1
	attN = top, -1
	attN = bottom, 227
	mass = 0.200000003
	shielded = False
	temp = 162.56824929770949
	tempExt = 162.50523899358558
	tempExtUnexp = 4
	expt = 0.5
	state = 0
	attached = True
	autostrutMode = Off
	rigidAttachment = False
	flag = Squad/Flags/spheres
	rTrf = ConstructionPort2
	modCost = 0
	EVENTS
	{
	}
	ACTIONS
	{
	}
	PARTDATA
	{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNode
		isEnabled = True
		crossfeed = True
		stagingEnabled = False
		state = Ready
		dockUId = 0
		dockNodeIdx = 0
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
			UndockAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			DecoupleAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			EnableXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			DisableXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
			ToggleXFeedAction
			{
				actionGroup = None
			}
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeldablePort
		isEnabled = True
		portForce = 2
		portTorque = 2
		portRoll = 0
		portRange = 0.5
		portAngle = 0
		portSnap = True
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingNodeNamed
		isEnabled = True
		portName = Weldport B
		initialized = True
		controlTransformName = 
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
		isEnabled = True
		stagingEnabled = True
		EVENTS
		{
		}
		ACTIONS
		{
		}
		UPGRADESAPPLIED
		{
		}
	}
}

Edited by Kobymaru
Added quicksave file

5 hours ago, Merkov said:

They should be in the construction tab. Did they just dissappear recently?

Well I had never used this mod before so for the first week or so of my game I just assumed it used the default docking ports. But they obviously weren't working. At first I installed with CKAN but then I manually installed however they still don't seem to be showing up. Not in the construction tab, nor the USI tab or searching for ports. 

Edited by SpaceNavy

On 12/14/2016 at 2:42 AM, SpaceNavy said:

Well I had never used this mod before so for the first week or so of my game I just assumed it used the default docking ports. But they obviously weren't working. At first I installed with CKAN but then I manually installed however they still don't seem to be showing up. Not in the construction tab, nor the USI tab or searching for ports. 

Are you in sandbox?  They may still be locked in career.  As previously posted they are in the construction tab.  The default docking ports are still in the usual spot but construction ports and default docking ports will not dock with each other.

Edited by Boiler1