[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

I had an idea last night while I was trying to sleep. At first I had the thought of making a plasma torch for cranes and arms to pick up and use to destroy parts. That led me into thinking of having a toolkit part for cranes and station arms. Basically lets you dock and undock a claw, torch, magnet, whatever from a toolkit part and use it before switching it out or stowing it. Kind of like how CNC robots pick up different tools during their process. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New goodies incoming :)  

The KonFabricator allows you to turn MaterialKits and Specialized Parts into useful things in-situ.  No dependencies other than the Konstruction mod.   

Just finished the code, on to testing (I'll drop it in a USI Constellation pre-release), and then hopefully the big release by the end of the weekend.

image.png

10 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

The KonFabricator allows you to turn MaterialKits and Specialized Parts into useful things in-situ.  No dependencies other than the Konstruction mod.   

Just finished the code, on to testing (I'll drop it in a USI Constellation pre-release), and then hopefully the big release by the end of the weekend.

image.png

Looks cool!  Are you planning on adding functionality to do full craft production such as global construction or EL?  Or should we still just focus on using GC?  Personally not a huge deal as I found I didn't build craft that much in situ anyhow.  especially with disconnected bases.  It was more useful in the past as you could build out a connected base easier and less kraken'y than connecting one with pipes.  But being able to print a part I forgot was super handy.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Looks cool!  Are you planning on adding functionality to do full craft production such as global construction or EL?  Or should we still just focus on using GC?  Personally not a huge deal as I found I didn't build craft that much in situ anyhow.  especially with disconnected bases.  It was more useful in the past as you could build out a connected base easier and less kraken'y than connecting one with pipes.  But being able to print a part I forgot was super handy.

Yeah, there's stuff in the works on that front.  Just not an ETA.   In theory, with Konstruction you could easily expand bases out since it also includes enhancements for EVA Construction.

For those interested, you can grab the new Konstruction code/bits out of the pre-release of the USI Constellation here:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2020.12.31

1. This is a dev build.  It's relatively solid, but bear that in mind - bug reports/feedback appreciated.  Back up your save.
  2. This includes both the KonFabricator part, as well as EVA Construction enhancements - there are links to both design docs in that pre-release link.
  3. This also includes a whitebox version of the Packrat rover that uses the new stock inventory system.  The old Packrat is now legacy.
  4. While I use this in my own save with no ill effect, back up your save.  It's a pre-release.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, RoverDude said:

Other than the Specialized parts and using the stock Inventory, does this make the Konstruction mod into an alternative to the OSE workshop mod now?

Hello roverdude i have some problems with mks. The kontainers are not working and drills also not and many things.

The are bugged, i cant put recources in and they only say planetary wharehous on/off if i right click on them. Do you know what the problem is? Im playing with ksp 1.11. I never found any bug like this on ksp forums and github. I already reinstalled it and it didnt work. I like the mod really but it doesnt work. I installed it first 4 days ago, 2 days later i reinstalled it. I tried to put community resources in the umbra space industries map. That also didnt work. I thought that the kontainer map might be missing. But i was there with all the files so i dont knwo what's wrong. If you know a fix it would be really nice. Then i can start  building bases like thise one

OIP.UxzgaBvoag0TLlyeHV_qbwHaEK?w=283&h=1

5 minutes ago, Plomie said:

Hello roverdude i have some problems with mks. The kontainers are not working and drills also not and many things.

The are bugged, i cant put recources in and they only say planetary wharehous on/off if i right click on them. Do you know what the problem is? Im playing with ksp 1.11. I never found any bug like this on ksp forums and github. I already reinstalled it and it didnt work. I like the mod really but it doesnt work. I installed it first 4 days ago, 2 days later i reinstalled it. I tried to put community resources in the umbra space industries map. That also didnt work. I thought that the kontainer map might be missing. But i was there with all the files so i dont knwo what's wrong. If you know a fix it would be really nice. Then i can start  building bases like thise one

OIP.UxzgaBvoag0TLlyeHV_qbwHaEK?w=283&h=1

Show me your GameData folder please.  You likely have a mod conflict or you are missing something.

And nice idea of the in situ part building in the konstruction mod. And i saw in umbraspace industries folder that the Ground construction folder is empty. If i still want to build structures in situ do in need to install GC again or EL?

4 minutes ago, Plomie said:

....I think i need to remove all folders but not the squad folder is that true?

That is true indeed. Unless you have the DLCs. Then you need to keep the folder SquadExpansion too.

39 minutes ago, Plomie said:

I didnt see  a issue like this on github or here so it probabbly a mod conflicting

A picture is still worth a thousand words.  The issues you describe sounds like a common one when the gamedata folders are not correct.  Mods need to be put into gamedata exactly as they are downloaded.

You do not want nested gamedata folders, such as gamedata\gamedata\mod folder

you also cannot move folders around or rename them.  Part configs etc rely on the correct path for things to function properly.

8 minutes ago, Plomie said:

thanks

im gonna remove all mods and reinstall it

thank goldenpsp

can you give me a good instruction for installing so i dont do anything wrong again?

Pretty much what I said.  It's not overly complicated.  When you download a mod, unzip it.  If it had a gamedata folder in the mod copy the CONTENTS of that gamedata into your gamedata folder.  If the mod just had a folder (like Mechjeb2) put that folder into your gamedata.  And don't rename any folders or files.  And don't move them around.

As an example this is my current gamedata folder with the latest USI constellation release, and a few other mods.

lceUoKp.png

thanks

10 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Pretty much what I said.  It's not overly complicated.  When you download a mod, unzip it.  If it had a gamedata folder in the mod copy the CONTENTS of that gamedata into your gamedata folder.  If the mod just had a folder (like Mechjeb2) put that folder into your gamedata.  And don't rename any folders or files.  And don't move them around.

As an example this is my current gamedata folder with the latest USI constellation release, and a few other mods.

lceUoKp.png

thank you i will remove all mod but not kis kas and all usi compatible mods then i can build beautiful bases. Thanks for helping have a good day. An its a very nice mod.