Jump to content

[1.11.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets! [0.1.3]


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Nope.  MKS has part recycling built in, but that's not part of Konstruction.

What if you make a part in the KonFabricator that you can't use to build with because its too heavy, is there any way to dessamble the part while it is still inside the inventory space? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eberkain said:

What if you make a part in the KonFabricator that you can't use to build with because its too heavy, is there any way to dessamble the part while it is still inside the inventory space? 

Not at this time, though if you have Konstruction there are already allowances for beefing up Kerbal EVA weight limits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 12:08 AM, Tradyk said:

I'm trying to use the PAL Magnetic Manipulator arm, and I can't seem to get the wrist to turn at all. Using the servo controller window, I can move any and all of the other joints on it, but nothing I do seems to get the wrist to move, either tilt or rotate. I've tried in goal mode and free mode, at various speeds, but nothing. Am I missing something, or is this possibly an issue because I'm on 1.10?

Having the same issue, which greatly limits the utility of this part. Installed the mod using CKAN, playing in game version 1.9.1 with mod version 1.4. Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I didn't see any responses to this post or anything else on this topic in the last couple pages of this thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having trouble finding the parts from this mod in the VAB or SPH and discovered in the config files that a lot of the parts in this mod (construction ports and PAL parts) aren't categorized properly (category = none). I have modified my config and can see them now, but i thought you should know. If this is intentional, could someone please explain to me where I can find them? playing on version 1.11.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunan Spy said:

I was having trouble finding the parts from this mod in the VAB or SPH and discovered in the config files that a lot of the parts in this mod (construction ports and PAL parts) aren't categorized properly (category = none). I have modified my config and can see them now, but i thought you should know. If this is intentional, could someone please explain to me where I can find them? playing on version 1.11.0

There's a custom Konstruction category added.  This prevents them from appearing in two places and cluttering your toolbox.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious if the USI team has given any thought to making 5 and 7.5 meter weldable construction ports (or even 10 meter BFR)? These would be handy with the SpaceY and SpaceY Expanded parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, strider3 said:

I am curious if the USI team has given any thought to making 5 and 7.5 meter weldable construction ports (or even 10 meter BFR)? These would be handy with the SpaceY and SpaceY Expanded parts.

Possible but more to support FTT

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just having a look at the GitHub source (trying to get a hint how's that KonFabricator part coming along) but something else caught my eye -

FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Akita/Akita_CTT.cfg line 13 contains "Akira_Seat", while the cfg file is called "Akita_Seat.cfg".

Could that cause a problem with the tech tree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Omeran said:

I was just having a look at the GitHub source (trying to get a hint how's that KonFabricator part coming along) but something else caught my eye -

FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Akita/Akita_CTT.cfg line 13 contains "Akira_Seat", while the cfg file is called "Akita_Seat.cfg".

Could that cause a problem with the tech tree?

Oh that's fixed in my version :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have a basic konstruction rover in Minmus which was not perfect but it was OK for moving things around. After playing somewhere else, the rover looks like to be stuck to the ground: motors give power, but it doesn't move. I have tried tweking the fricton/traction controls withou any result. I had spawned (using GC) a new kostruction rover which has the same issue, but on the runaway they work fine...
I have no ideas on what could have caused this... The one thing I did was to update to 1.11.1 from 1.11.0...

Does anybody has an idea on what might be the issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I manually added the metadata to the two smaller Konstruction ports based on the packed volume of their stock docking port parents. 

So good being able to pull them out of stock inventory and attach to an existing ship/station...then being able weld the parts together using the mods functionality. 

Should probably be a stock thing, but USI mods are the best mods, period. 

Edited by Harrekin
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, RoverDude said:

There's a custom Konstruction category added.  This prevents them from appearing in two places and cluttering your toolbox.

Should the weldable ports be showing up in the Konstruction category, or somewhere else? I can't seem to find them anymore (have just started a 1.11.1 build but have a few other updated mods as well)

Nevermind. Always remember to check your versions, folks.

Edited by münambulist
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 6:33 AM, Harrekin said:

I manually added the metadata to the two smaller Konstruction ports based on the packed volume of their stock docking port parents. 

So good being able to pull them out of stock inventory and attach to an existing ship/station...then being able weld the parts together using the mods functionality. 

Should probably be a stock thing, but USI mods are the best mods, period. 

Would you mind sharing how you did this?  I would like to use the Konstruction docking ports in the new inventory as well.  I tried installing the Dev version but it looks like this functionality wasn't added yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Would you mind sharing how you did this?  I would like to use the Konstruction docking ports in the new inventory as well.  I tried installing the Dev version but it looks like this functionality wasn't added yet.

Just look at the CFG file for a docking port.  I don't have one open but go to the bottom there is a section for its cargo volume.  Put that same entry into the part you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Just look at the CFG file for a docking port.  I don't have one open but go to the bottom there is a section for its cargo volume.  Put that same entry into the part you want.

Well that was easy.  Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Well that was easy.  Thank you!

Learning how config files work (which also is basically how modulemanager configs work) is the easiest way to tweak KSP to your liking without having to learn major coding.

Keep in mind that making direct changes to USI mod config files will be overwritten when you update.  Doing it as a MM config gets around this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DoktorKrogg said:

Just FYI: we'll likely be deprecating the construction ports in a future update and just using module manager to add the functionality they provide to the stock docking ports.

@DoktorKrogg Herr Doktor, that makes imminent sense.  So as long as they have already been "welded" this should make no difference to any craft unless they are carrying an "unwelded" port, yes?

Out of all of the "I didn't think of that" parts in all of the USI, those construction ports are my functional favorites.  I love having them so I can build viable non-slinky weird-angle un-flyable off-centre large vehicles that would never survive a launch in joined fashion - the kind that never see an atmosphere any closer than low orbit.  Better yet, when I get a new tech, shoot it into orbit and make it part of my main station (making sure I leave at least one open k-port for the next one).  Even better when I can built the new parts in orbit, dock on a transfer stage [engine, tank, probe core, battery, port] and then fling them to another planet, and assemble them on site (hellooooo Laythe Station!)

Edited by Murdabenne
clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

So as long as they have already been "welded" this should make no difference to any craft unless they are carrying an "unwelded" port, yes?

We'll probably mark the ports as "legacy" so that they don't randomly disappear from existing craft and bork people's saves. So they'll still technically be in the game, they just won't show up in the VAB/SPH anymore. I'll also probably make it so that if you have a vessel with an old construction port, you can dock it to the matching stock port. In other words, there won't be a difference anymore between stock docking ports and construction ports. They'll all function like construction ports.

And any previously welded ports should be a non-issue. Once construction ports have been welded, they cease to exist. As far as the game is concerned, the two vessels become one as if it came that way from the factory. ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

Just FYI: we'll likely be deprecating the construction ports in a future update and just using module manager to add the functionality they provide to the stock docking ports.

A welcome change indeed. Makes a lot of sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...